Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New guy from the Midwest, Introducing myself
forzamotorsport9
post Nov 4 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,001
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey guys my name is Will. I couldn't find a place to post for new members so i went ahead and did it here, if the mods need to transfer the post to a new forum go ahead.

Anyway I just turned 18 last week and my parents sold the '03 Jetta they bought for me. It was an ok car i guess, pretty uninspiring, though surprisingly quick for what it is. I started looking for a new car about a month ago. I looked at 944s but they seemed pretty sketchy. I've driven past an old 914 since i was in 8th grade and a week ago figured what the hell ill go check it out. I play golf with the guy so thats good. The car is an Irish Green 1972 914-4, with 47,000 original miles. It's all stock except for a Monza (Manta now) exhaust. He sold it to me for $2000, the only thing wrong with it is it needs new fuel lines because the plastic ones are crap. He also included a second 914 as parts car but i have no idea on what kind of shape it is in etc etc. Cosmetically the car is perfect also, its missing the C on the PORSCHE logo on the back and thats it. I will have the car picked up by sunday and hopefully have it running shortly there after.

Ive looked around and no-one sells a full fuel line replacement kit, considering how many cars need their line replaced i'm pretty surprised. Either way i'm glad to be porsche owner and glad to be a part of the site.

here are some pictures of it, it hasent moved in six years so its pretty dirty, its been in the grage the entire time though...seems to be a diamond in the rough.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d914
post Nov 4 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

check out tangerine racing for ss fuel lines.. or you could try -6 an lines or bend your own brake tubing....

There are options depending on skilss and budgets.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 4 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

And I really like your grammar and politeness. ( That may be beat out of you soon soon though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) ).
+Quote Post
forzamotorsport9
post Nov 4 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(d914 @ Nov 4 2009, 06:58 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

check out tangerine racing for ss fuel lines.. or you could try -6 an lines or bend your own brake tubing....

There are options depending on skilss and budgets.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

does tangerine racing offer it as a kit? if i can get a parts list i might just buy the parts through summit racing...any ideas?

and i try to make a good first impression (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) anywho seems like a friendly site. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 4 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Some things you will want to check before heading down the road. Brake calipers tend to get sticky when a car sits too long. Eric Shea here on the World site rebuilds these. They come replated and are likely cheaper than trying to locate them at the flaps.

Also check the rubber brake hoses for cracking. Please, if you know the fuel lines are bad change them. They have been known to wreck a few owners day when their car went up in flames!

There is tons of info on this site. The search function is your friend. The people that hang here are very willing to help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
john grier
post Nov 4 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,265

I agree get them from Tangerine Raceing.
They are great.
I love Green, but why does it have tits?
Tell us more, vin # and engine size.
John
+Quote Post
Cano
post Nov 4 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,854
Region Association: None

Tangerine makes a SS kit that replaces the plastic lines in the tunnel and the lines that pass through the engine shelf. You will also want to replace all the rubber flexible line as well.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 4 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Cano @ Nov 4 2009, 05:09 PM) *

Tangerine makes a SS kit that replaces the plastic lines in the tunnel and the lines that pass through the engine shelf. You will also want to replace all the rubber flexible line as well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Make sure you replace the soft lines with the correct FI hose. Use FI hose clamps. Take a flashlight and look inside the tank. If there's rust on the bottom, clean it out first. Get a new fuel filter. The last thing you want is for the car to burn down the first day.

'72 should not have tits. Post the VIN.

The real question you should ask yourself is why a car that is "perfect" has sat for so long and why the PO needed a "parts car" to go with his "perfect" car ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy

PS: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Nov 4 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #9

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Looks like a nice score

Cant wait to see more pics
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Nov 4 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 4 2009, 07:06 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Some things you will want to check before heading down the road. Brake calipers tend to get sticky when a car sits too long. Eric Shea here on the World site rebuilds these. They come replated and are likely cheaper than trying to locate them at the flaps.

Also check the rubber brake hoses for cracking. Please, if you know the fuel lines are bad change them. They have been known to wreck a few owners day when their car went up in flames!

There is tons of info on this site. The search function is your friend. The people that hang here are very willing to help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

upgrades and hp can come later, get to know your car first.

read all the FAQs and classics you can ingest from here, and check out this (and other good stuff) from the pelican site:

if your like most of us, your in for a bff-ltr!
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Nov 4 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(forzamotorsport9 @ Nov 4 2009, 04:53 PM) *

Hey guys my name is Will. I couldn't find a place to post for new members so i went ahead and did it here, if the mods need to transfer the post to a new forum go ahead.

Anyway I just turned 18 last week and my parents sold the '03 Jetta they bought for me. It was an ok car i guess, pretty uninspiring, though surprisingly quick for what it is. I started looking for a new car about a month ago. I looked at 944s but they seemed pretty sketchy. I've driven past an old 914 since i was in 8th grade and a week ago figured what the hell ill go check it out. I play golf with the guy so thats good. The car is an Irish Green 1972 914-4, with 47,000 original miles. It's all stock except for a Monza (Manta now) exhaust. He sold it to me for $2000, the only thing wrong with it is it needs new fuel lines because the plastic ones are crap. He also included a second 914 as parts car but i have no idea on what kind of shape it is in etc etc. Cosmetically the car is perfect also, its missing the C on the PORSCHE logo on the back and thats it. I will have the car picked up by sunday and hopefully have it running shortly there after.

Ive looked around and no-one sells a full fuel line replacement kit, considering how many cars need their line replaced i'm pretty surprised. Either way i'm glad to be porsche owner and glad to be a part of the site.

here are some pictures of it, it hasent moved in six years so its pretty dirty, its been in the grage the entire time though...seems to be a diamond in the rough.

Welcome, that car in the picture has the '73 front bumper (front bumperettes) maybe your car is a '73 but made in '72 ect. my '74 was made in '73... Find out what size engine you have, You stoled it for $2,000
+Quote Post
forzamotorsport9
post Nov 4 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 4 2009, 07:35 PM) *

Welcome, that car in the picture has the '73 front bumper (front bumperettes) maybe your car is a '73 but made in '72 ect. my '74 was made in '73... Find out what size engine you have, You stoled it for $2,000

yes its a 1972, the guy has $1800 worth of work done to it a few years back, i check the receipts but didnt look at the details.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Nov 4 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #13

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 4 2009, 08:35 PM) *

. . . that car in the picture has the '73 front bumper (front bumperettes) . . .

The front bumper looks to have been replaced with a black one from 73-74; the rear bumper is chrome from the looks of the pictures. And Irish Green was gone by MY73.

Everything the other guys said re; fuel and brake lines are must do. While your at it I'd replace all the vacuum hose too. Check the FI seals. Basically anything that can rot will if it's been stored for a length of time.

Oh, and Irish Green is my favorite! Congrats.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Nov 4 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) its cool to see such a young cat, into our funny but very cool looking cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
jmill
post Nov 4 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #15

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038

Yes, another guy from the Midwest! Forget about Summit, Jeggs, Pep Boys, etc. They won't have what you need. Search is your friend. If you don't have any luck ask about it here and someone will point you in the right direction.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 4 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #16

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Oh gosh... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) To be so innocent again! Looks like a very good buy at that price though...
+Quote Post
carr914
post Nov 4 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #17

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Definately get Tangerine lines. Just about everything else you can get here (classifieds are your friend)

Yes it looks like the front bumper was changed for a later one, but there rear looks correct.

And everyone knows that you should own at least 2 914s, with 1 for parts.

Give that thing a bath and let us see what she looks like. I bet she cleans up good.

T.C.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 4 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #18

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Here are the wonderful lines everyone is talking about but no one will give you a link to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Some of these guys are a little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessFuelLines.htm
+Quote Post
orange914
post Nov 4 2009, 09:01 PM
Post #19

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 4 2009, 05:35 PM) *

do i see vinyl on the A-pilars? if so that would be a early 73', which explains the titties. good score! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 4 2009, 06:37 PM) *

only thing wrong with it

Oh gosh... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) To be so innocent again! Looks like a very good buy at that price though...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) you'll like the help here.
mike
+Quote Post
914four
post Nov 4 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,582

QUOTE(forzamotorsport9 @ Nov 4 2009, 06:53 PM) *

...seems to be a diamond in the rough.

Nice find!

The search function is easy to use once you get used to it and you will be amazed at the wealth of information to be found on this site. When you can't seem to find exactly what you need with the search function the collective minds of this site are far better then any single mechanic you will ever find.

Member vendors will have anything you need for your project as well.

Good luck with a great project! This site will make help make it fun.

Kelvin
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 10:45 AM