Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New guy from the Midwest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forzamotorsport9
Hey guys my name is Will. I couldn't find a place to post for new members so i went ahead and did it here, if the mods need to transfer the post to a new forum go ahead.

Anyway I just turned 18 last week and my parents sold the '03 Jetta they bought for me. It was an ok car i guess, pretty uninspiring, though surprisingly quick for what it is. I started looking for a new car about a month ago. I looked at 944s but they seemed pretty sketchy. I've driven past an old 914 since i was in 8th grade and a week ago figured what the hell ill go check it out. I play golf with the guy so thats good. The car is an Irish Green 1972 914-4, with 47,000 original miles. It's all stock except for a Monza (Manta now) exhaust. He sold it to me for $2000, the only thing wrong with it is it needs new fuel lines because the plastic ones are crap. He also included a second 914 as parts car but i have no idea on what kind of shape it is in etc etc. Cosmetically the car is perfect also, its missing the C on the PORSCHE logo on the back and thats it. I will have the car picked up by sunday and hopefully have it running shortly there after.

Ive looked around and no-one sells a full fuel line replacement kit, considering how many cars need their line replaced i'm pretty surprised. Either way i'm glad to be porsche owner and glad to be a part of the site.

here are some pictures of it, it hasent moved in six years so its pretty dirty, its been in the grage the entire time though...seems to be a diamond in the rough.

d914
welcome.png welcome.png

check out tangerine racing for ss fuel lines.. or you could try -6 an lines or bend your own brake tubing....

There are options depending on skilss and budgets.. driving.gif
underthetire
welcome.png

And I really like your grammar and politeness. ( That may be beat out of you soon soon though smash.gif ).
forzamotorsport9
QUOTE(d914 @ Nov 4 2009, 06:58 PM) *

welcome.png welcome.png

check out tangerine racing for ss fuel lines.. or you could try -6 an lines or bend your own brake tubing....

There are options depending on skilss and budgets.. driving.gif

does tangerine racing offer it as a kit? if i can get a parts list i might just buy the parts through summit racing...any ideas?

and i try to make a good first impression biggrin.gif anywho seems like a friendly site. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png Some things you will want to check before heading down the road. Brake calipers tend to get sticky when a car sits too long. Eric Shea here on the World site rebuilds these. They come replated and are likely cheaper than trying to locate them at the flaps.

Also check the rubber brake hoses for cracking. Please, if you know the fuel lines are bad change them. They have been known to wreck a few owners day when their car went up in flames!

There is tons of info on this site. The search function is your friend. The people that hang here are very willing to help. assimilate.gif
john grier
welcome.png
I agree get them from Tangerine Raceing.
They are great.
I love Green, but why does it have tits?
Tell us more, vin # and engine size.
John
Cano

Tangerine makes a SS kit that replaces the plastic lines in the tunnel and the lines that pass through the engine shelf. You will also want to replace all the rubber flexible line as well.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Cano @ Nov 4 2009, 05:09 PM) *

Tangerine makes a SS kit that replaces the plastic lines in the tunnel and the lines that pass through the engine shelf. You will also want to replace all the rubber flexible line as well.

agree.gif

Make sure you replace the soft lines with the correct FI hose. Use FI hose clamps. Take a flashlight and look inside the tank. If there's rust on the bottom, clean it out first. Get a new fuel filter. The last thing you want is for the car to burn down the first day.

'72 should not have tits. Post the VIN.

The real question you should ask yourself is why a car that is "perfect" has sat for so long and why the PO needed a "parts car" to go with his "perfect" car ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
jsayre914
cheer.gif Looks like a nice score
welcome.png

Cant wait to see more pics
lotus_65
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 4 2009, 07:06 PM) *

welcome.png Some things you will want to check before heading down the road. Brake calipers tend to get sticky when a car sits too long. Eric Shea here on the World site rebuilds these. They come replated and are likely cheaper than trying to locate them at the flaps.

Also check the rubber brake hoses for cracking. Please, if you know the fuel lines are bad change them. They have been known to wreck a few owners day when their car went up in flames!

There is tons of info on this site. The search function is your friend. The people that hang here are very willing to help. assimilate.gif

agree.gif

upgrades and hp can come later, get to know your car first.

read all the FAQs and classics you can ingest from here, and check out this (and other good stuff) from the pelican site:

if your like most of us, your in for a bff-ltr!
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(forzamotorsport9 @ Nov 4 2009, 04:53 PM) *

Hey guys my name is Will. I couldn't find a place to post for new members so i went ahead and did it here, if the mods need to transfer the post to a new forum go ahead.

Anyway I just turned 18 last week and my parents sold the '03 Jetta they bought for me. It was an ok car i guess, pretty uninspiring, though surprisingly quick for what it is. I started looking for a new car about a month ago. I looked at 944s but they seemed pretty sketchy. I've driven past an old 914 since i was in 8th grade and a week ago figured what the hell ill go check it out. I play golf with the guy so thats good. The car is an Irish Green 1972 914-4, with 47,000 original miles. It's all stock except for a Monza (Manta now) exhaust. He sold it to me for $2000, the only thing wrong with it is it needs new fuel lines because the plastic ones are crap. He also included a second 914 as parts car but i have no idea on what kind of shape it is in etc etc. Cosmetically the car is perfect also, its missing the C on the PORSCHE logo on the back and thats it. I will have the car picked up by sunday and hopefully have it running shortly there after.

Ive looked around and no-one sells a full fuel line replacement kit, considering how many cars need their line replaced i'm pretty surprised. Either way i'm glad to be porsche owner and glad to be a part of the site.

here are some pictures of it, it hasent moved in six years so its pretty dirty, its been in the grage the entire time though...seems to be a diamond in the rough.

Welcome, that car in the picture has the '73 front bumper (front bumperettes) maybe your car is a '73 but made in '72 ect. my '74 was made in '73... Find out what size engine you have, You stoled it for $2,000
forzamotorsport9
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 4 2009, 07:35 PM) *

Welcome, that car in the picture has the '73 front bumper (front bumperettes) maybe your car is a '73 but made in '72 ect. my '74 was made in '73... Find out what size engine you have, You stoled it for $2,000

yes its a 1972, the guy has $1800 worth of work done to it a few years back, i check the receipts but didnt look at the details.
MDG
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 4 2009, 08:35 PM) *

. . . that car in the picture has the '73 front bumper (front bumperettes) . . .

welcome.png

The front bumper looks to have been replaced with a black one from 73-74; the rear bumper is chrome from the looks of the pictures. And Irish Green was gone by MY73.

Everything the other guys said re; fuel and brake lines are must do. While your at it I'd replace all the vacuum hose too. Check the FI seals. Basically anything that can rot will if it's been stored for a length of time.

Oh, and Irish Green is my favorite! Congrats.
oldschool

welcome.png its cool to see such a young cat, into our funny but very cool looking cars aktion035.gif
jmill
Yes, another guy from the Midwest! Forget about Summit, Jeggs, Pep Boys, etc. They won't have what you need. Search is your friend. If you don't have any luck ask about it here and someone will point you in the right direction.

welcome.png

ConeDodger

Oh gosh... lol-2.gif To be so innocent again! Looks like a very good buy at that price though...
carr914
welcome.png Definately get Tangerine lines. Just about everything else you can get here (classifieds are your friend)

Yes it looks like the front bumper was changed for a later one, but there rear looks correct.

And everyone knows that you should own at least 2 914s, with 1 for parts.

Give that thing a bath and let us see what she looks like. I bet she cleans up good.

T.C.
scotty b
welcome.png Here are the wonderful lines everyone is talking about but no one will give you a link to dry.gif Some of these guys are a little screwy.gif

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessFuelLines.htm
orange914
welcome.png
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 4 2009, 05:35 PM) *

do i see vinyl on the A-pilars? if so that would be a early 73', which explains the titties. good score! smile.gif

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 4 2009, 06:37 PM) *

only thing wrong with it

Oh gosh... lol-2.gif To be so innocent again! Looks like a very good buy at that price though...

av-943.gif you'll like the help here.
mike
914four
QUOTE(forzamotorsport9 @ Nov 4 2009, 06:53 PM) *

...seems to be a diamond in the rough.

Nice find!

welcome.png

The search function is easy to use once you get used to it and you will be amazed at the wealth of information to be found on this site. When you can't seem to find exactly what you need with the search function the collective minds of this site are far better then any single mechanic you will ever find.

Member vendors will have anything you need for your project as well.

Good luck with a great project! This site will make help make it fun.

Kelvin
underthetire
OK just saw your username. We have a group here on Forza3 so make sure you get your live ID posted so we can add you !

If you show up in the game with a ricer we'll have to kill you though chair.gif
iamchappy
Will, Welcome to our WORLD..........Go Hawkeyes......

Chap
agentblr
My 2nd 914 was a Irish green 72 ahhhh memories......
PanelBilly
Put that car up on jackstands and start taking it apart!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 5 2009, 12:06 AM) *

Put that car up on jackstands and start taking it apart!

Don't listen to Billy, he's crazy. Only crazy dudes do full restorations.... oh..... wait... damn.

Glad to see more young guys coming in maybe I'm not alone?
welcome.png

BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

welcome.png

Glad to hear of another Mid Westerner , Make a list stick to it and it won't

be long before you can really enjoy your 914. You have till next Aug.

Garold Shaffer has a nice get to geather in Portage In. Be there !!!!

Again welcome to the madness !!!! Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.