Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> 914 Gauge Set-ups - OE Standard & Options, ...OK let's try this again
Tom_T
post Nov 7 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Okay - first of all, this is a question about ORIGINAL Gauge setups for standard factory equipment, factory options, & special order factory/dealer options whith respect to the 1973 MY 914-2.0.

While past suggestions for swap-outs & temporary/removable installations in a "to remain anonymous post here" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) - that's not really what I'm asking about, but Thanx to those of you who had contributed there.

Second - some background on my early-73 914-2.0 (then marketed as the "914S" as shown in the 1972 Porsche+Audi docs below), VIN...1954 & GA000424, built 9/72 & first sold/registered 11/72 in CA. I bought the car 3 yrs. or "37 months old" in 12/75, & was told by PO that they were OO - so I'd be 2nd owner with the car since 12/75 continuously. When I got it in 75 the Appearance Group Center Console/Gauges, Fog-lights/dash switch & 5 Fuchs 2L alloy wheels were not on the car. The PO or dealer had removed these items, & IIRC the PO wanted the extra leg-room for hauling around 2 kids (i.e.: 2+1 in the old pre-mandatory-seatbelt days). It also came with the standard fuel/brake combo gauge - as opposed to the fuel/oil temp. combo gauge provided on non-center console cars (because OT was in the console).

Beyond finding all of the appropriate attachment holes/clips & electrical connections with evidence of prior use/attachment - I've done extensive research to confirm to my satisfaction that Porsche+Audi sold ALL 914-2.0's "fully loaded" with the Appearance & Performance Groups' options in that 73 MY (at least in the first 1/3 during 1972), although that changed definitely by the 74 MY with everything then becoming extra cost options (except LE set-ups), and possibly P+A had started that extra charge program in Spring 73 (according to Steve Gaglione).

I'll be restoring my 914 2L back to original fitment, with a few exceptions for better durability/driving (e.g.: SS HEs, 19mm MC, factory Passenger Side Mirror, etc.), since I want to drive it some, as well as probably doing some concours restoration shows (at least until it gets too dirty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ).

I've gone out & bought a restorable console & gauges (I still need a proper early "Kinsle" sp? clock though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ), as well as a set of 5 restorable Fuchs wheels, & fog-lights with horns (horns busted in 5/85 accident) & fog-light switch (amber bezel - which I hope was right, since the replacement 1973 owners manual I bought from PP, references a "Green" bezel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) ).

However, I think/hope that I have some latitude in how I configure the dash-pod & center console gauges, in as much as there may have been any options, etc. available at the time? Even at that, the Porsche+Audi ad & sales brochure below seems confused on the issue, as one states that the center console has the oil pressure gauge, while the other says oil temperature (as most generally found in them).....

To the Questions at Hand:

1. Were there any factory options &/or dealer requested options at the time for substitute gauges at either the console &/or fuel combo gauge? I'm pretty sure that VDO at the time also produced Oil Pressure Gauges in the center console size (2-3/8" diam. +/-) &/or in the fuel/OT combo gauge insert size (same since OP insert was used in the 911s IRRC).

> but could either/both be special ordered by a buyer either in the initial build &/or as a dealer change-out later?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

...i.e.: You end up with either a combo fuel/OT (using the non-console type gauge & a clock/OP/voltmeter in the console, or with a combo fuel/OP & the standard clock/OT/voltmeter in the console.

2. Where there any factory special order &/or dealer ordered optional Cylinder Head Temp. Gauges available for the 914s at the time?

...if so, what were they (size/markings/face style) & where/how were they mounted "back in the day"?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

3. Is it acceptable from Originality terms & in concours events (restoration in my case) to add any of those, if they were indeed available at the time - even though they were probably not in my particular car originally?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I would like to have had that extra instrumentation back in the day myself (having intended to add back at least the console even back then), and would certainly appreciate it today to protect my 37 yr. old 914 from mechanical problems whenever I do drive it. The only question in my mind is how to do it in a way that was both available & appropriate in the original period?

FYI - following are some pix of both my 914's instruments & my research on consoles, the console/gauges I got, etc.

DEC. 1972 MAGAZINE - PORSCHE+AUDI "914S" ADVERT DENOTING "INCLUDED" EXTRAS - NOTE THAT THIS SAYS OIL PRESSURE GAUGE:
Attached Image
Attached Image

FALL 1972 PORSCHE+AUDI EARLY "914S" SALES BROCHURE PAGE ON "INCLUDED" OPTIONS - NOTE THAT THIS SAYS OIL TEMP GAUGE:
Attached Image

CORRECT 1973 MY CENTER CONSOLE FROM P914 WEBSITE - NOTE CORRECT "KINSLE" CLOCK (NON-QUARTZ), OT GAUGE WITH WIDE RED BAND, & VOLTMETER:
Attached Image

OE CENTER CONSOLE & GAUGES FROM VIN4732901102 - JUST 892 CARS BEFORE MINE 7 ALSO A 9/72 BUILD:
Attached Image

OE COMBO FUEL / OT GAUGE (WIDE RED BAND) AS USED IN 1973 MY NON-CENTER CONSOLE 914s:
Attached Image

...continued....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:59 AM