Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original Light Ivory Color & Mix?, ...L80E, 11, 1110, etc......?????
davep
post Jan 24 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #21

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Paint colours on the internet are highly dependent on lighting, camera, and your computer screen. So much so that you can only use it as a guide, and nothing else. Something like L80E will look white. In person it should have a little warmth to it. BTW, the paint is actually a VW colour but it does cross over to Porsche. You have to be very careful wading through the various codes for the paints since there were many code series used. We should stay with just the codes stamped on the Karmann badge: L80E for the 914/4 and late 914/6 and 11 for the early 914/6. The marketing code of B7 was never stamped on a badge, and is probably not useful to a paint supplier.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 24 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #22

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(davep @ Jan 24 2010, 07:22 AM) *

Paint colours on the internet are highly dependent on lighting, camera, and your computer screen. So much so that you can only use it as a guide, and nothing else. Something like L80E will look white. In person it should have a little warmth to it. BTW, the paint is actually a VW colour but it does cross over to Porsche. You have to be very careful wading through the various codes for the paints since there were many code series used. We should stay with just the codes stamped on the Karmann badge: L80E for the 914/4 and late 914/6 and 11 for the early 914/6. The marketing code of B7 was never stamped on a badge, and is probably not useful to a paint supplier.

Dave, that's exactly why I was looking here for some sort of "official" factory paint mix formula to give the shop & paint supplier.

I still have some areas where the original L80E shows - the largest of which are over the tar under the floor mats/rugs, but I do not trust those "color match guns" - I'm too old school! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW - my Karmann plate is L80E, but PCNA insists that it's 10 Light Ivory on 2 erroneous COAs, where they also incorrectly insist that #31 is a Black interior instead of the correct Beige - in spite of the fact that PCNA has numerous COAs #11 Black (the correct code) out there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Jan 25 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #23

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Yes, PCNA has fixated on a marketing paint code rather than what was actually stamped on the car, and this tends to lead to a lot of confusion. They are not wrong, just confusing.

The paint formulations are subject to change over time. The paint used on the car at the factory is no longer available, so I think the best you can do is find a painter you trust, and use the paint that he wants to use (and is experienced with so that a desirable result is produced); forcing a painter to use a paint he is not familiar with is asking for trouble. Then work with the paint supplier to come up with the formula for VW L80E; do a test panel if needed; wet and cured will look different as will a 37 year old sample.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:12 PM