Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zach's Winter Project List, 36/37 completed, and it no longer winter, so I am driving now!
VaccaRabite
post Feb 16 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #41

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cevan @ Feb 16 2010, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 4 2009, 07:02 PM) *

Float height at 10mm closed, 23mm open

Do you mean 32mm open? I just did this yesterday and Weber recommends 32mm open.

I'm going off the Weber Tech Manual. If Weber disagrees, I will have to open them back up again and reset the height.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 28 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #42

En Garde!

I got a lot done Friday night, but forgot to update the thread...

I finished Mike's bus tins.
I painted the front spoiler, top of my dash, and the underside of my targa top with rubberized undercoat. It does not look too bad, except where I touched the dash thinking it was try, and it was NOT. It took 2 days to cure, due to the cold temps. With 2 heaters going, I barely got the garage hot enough to paint it on in the first place.

But I have to add a new item to my list.
Two actually.

The carbs have the fuel inlet pointing forward, and my old ones pointed aft. So I need to run a longer feeder hose from the T to the carbs. Also, the extending arm that I put on the pas side carb does not fit on the smaller 40s. It hits the tin. So I have to remove it and shorten it. Not a big deal, but something that I have to do that I did not plan on doing.

Also, seat recovering is not going to happen this winter. That will go on the docket for next winter.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 3 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #43

En Garde!

Flexdam front spoiler is on. It looks GREAT.

That job turned into a nightmare. What I thought would take 2 hours took closer to 7 when it was all said and done. See my thread about brazing and getting kicked in the balls.

Zach

+Quote Post
ghuff
post Mar 3 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #44

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,389

Win.

Can I have some of your luck and drive.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 3 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #45

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372

Did you paint the bumper mounts on the bus? If so, I may be able to finish it soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 3 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #46

En Garde!

Bumper mounts.... I did not know they were on the list of things to be done.

where are they? I won't e able to get them tonight, but maybe tomorrow.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 7 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #47

En Garde!

Today I did some little stuff. I fixed the carb arms so that both sides would open and close fully w/o hitting the tin. I got my door opener in the mail today (thanks BDstone914!) so I was able to get that door finished and buttoned up. the cabin of my car is DONE!

I also started the car for the first time since parking it in the garage last November. Sort of. it sputtered and died - but it DID start. The carbs are WAY out of balance. And, I need to open them up and clear two clogged gas squirters. One just dribbles, and the other does not seem to do anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) This makes me unhappy, as I thought I had them both clean. This is the last time I use Berrymans. All it seemed to do was gum everything up.

It was getting cold so I did not do it tonight. And, I had homework to do for class tomorrow.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 13 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #48

En Garde!

Wires in the engine bay are bundled a bit.
Oil temp sender is wired in.
I fixed the horn relay I busted.
Stuff got done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

All I have to do now is balance the carbs and I am ready to go driving!

zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 20 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #49

En Garde!

So close and yet so far today!

I backed the car out into the sun, intending to spend an hour or so balancing the carbs, and then go for a NICE and WELL DESERVED drive.

But first I noticed that it was not firing on #3. So I cleaned out the idle circuit on the carb. Still was not working, so I changed the spark plugs. Then I realized that it was working, but the seat for the idle mix screw was too deep (they are a tad too deep on all 4 barrels - I really do not like these carbs...). So I modified the crew (cut off a coil) and I was able to get the needle to seat as expected.

Then I started balancing. It was not to be. I had to modify the attachments to clear the engine tin if I wanted to keep the pull on the front of the carbs. But my mods made the carbs unable to be balanced, due to the slight change in geometry. So I undid my mod, and then switched the carbs around for a rear pull. But I was not able to get that finished, as I need to get cleaned up for dinner. So, before I can get my silly carbs balanced I need to finish the rear pull conversion, and make a throttle cable mount that will work for the rear pull. Maybe it will run tomorrow.

Car sounded and idled great, though. I can not wait to drive it.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 5 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #50

En Garde!

I think my winter project list as as complete as it is going to get! I still don't have my backup lights made up - that is just going to have to wait.

The dashbaord electric glitch had to do with my stereo (well, the amp anyway) install. It was somehow shorting - or jut drawing too much current for the dash. I figured it out when I started getting a pulsing interference over one of the speakers - it was amplifying the buzz when it shorted. Right now I don't care. Mike pulled the fuse, and I'll have to fix it later. The important part is that my dash lights don't short any more - and I am not getting the alternator light glowing.

But today I balanced the carbs, and went for my first drive of the season. It was glorious.

Zach
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 12:54 AM