Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aftermarket Steering Wheel Hubs, again, but more specifically
lapuwali
post Mar 19 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

So, I really want to put a smaller aftermarket wheel on my '71 /4, but aftermarket hubs specifically for the '70-'71 steering column are rare. I'm willing to go to reasonable lengths to make this happen, mostly involving modifying a later or different hub to fit. I really don't want to modify the column, and swapping to a later column is not a small thing.

If anyone can answer any or all of the following questions, I'd appreciate it. I'd rather not repeat research someone else has already done.

Are the splines the same diameter and pitch on the '70-'71 v. '72-'76 hubs? I've so far seen conflicting statements which make me think people aren't actually talking about the same thing. In other words, will a later hub fit on an early column at all? Is the problem just the length or offset of the splined part of the hub, or the actual diameter and/or pitch of the splines? Will a later hub slide on and allow the washer and nut to be torqued down, but there's just a big gap behind the hub?

Note that I'm completely unconcerned about turn signal cancellation or the horn. The last several cars I've owned came to me with a broken horn, and my other car doesn't self-cancel, either. I'm used to this. <_<
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 19 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #2

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I can't really answer your question, because I don't know the details off the top of my head. But since the inception of this board, topics very similar to this have been brought up numerous times. Have you tried doing a search?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 19 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #3

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Group: Members
Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Check there list they have a hub for a71 914. $62.00.
http://www.bakerprecision.com/momo2a.htm
CCLINHUBBAHUBBA
+Quote Post
736conver
post Mar 20 2004, 03:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

I would be very surprised if they have a MOMO hub for 70-72. Snatch it up if they do.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 20 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #5

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Yes, I did a search first, here and on other 914 boards. I didn't really expect any this time, either, but no harm in trying before I go and do all the research myself. Baker doesn't actually have any MOMO hubs for the 70-71. A few other places also list them on their sites, but they don't have them, either.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 02:22 PM