Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket Steering Wheel Hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
So, I really want to put a smaller aftermarket wheel on my '71 /4, but aftermarket hubs specifically for the '70-'71 steering column are rare. I'm willing to go to reasonable lengths to make this happen, mostly involving modifying a later or different hub to fit. I really don't want to modify the column, and swapping to a later column is not a small thing.

If anyone can answer any or all of the following questions, I'd appreciate it. I'd rather not repeat research someone else has already done.

Are the splines the same diameter and pitch on the '70-'71 v. '72-'76 hubs? I've so far seen conflicting statements which make me think people aren't actually talking about the same thing. In other words, will a later hub fit on an early column at all? Is the problem just the length or offset of the splined part of the hub, or the actual diameter and/or pitch of the splines? Will a later hub slide on and allow the washer and nut to be torqued down, but there's just a big gap behind the hub?

Note that I'm completely unconcerned about turn signal cancellation or the horn. The last several cars I've owned came to me with a broken horn, and my other car doesn't self-cancel, either. I'm used to this. <_<
Gint
I can't really answer your question, because I don't know the details off the top of my head. But since the inception of this board, topics very similar to this have been brought up numerous times. Have you tried doing a search?
boxstr
Check there list they have a hub for a71 914. $62.00.
http://www.bakerprecision.com/momo2a.htm
CCLINHUBBAHUBBA
736conver
I would be very surprised if they have a MOMO hub for 70-72. Snatch it up if they do.
lapuwali
Yes, I did a search first, here and on other 914 boards. I didn't really expect any this time, either, but no harm in trying before I go and do all the research myself. Baker doesn't actually have any MOMO hubs for the 70-71. A few other places also list them on their sites, but they don't have them, either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.