Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

12 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Few, the rare......, As delivered, no resto, no repaint - show 'em!
Tom_T
post Jan 24 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #121

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

EDITED - DELETE
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 29 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #122

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jan 31 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #123

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 29 2010, 07:07 PM) *

Why has this topic been dropped from the Nailed Threads ??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Pat & All - IMHO, it needs to stay "nailed" & just edit out our extraneous posts in it (including this one once moved to nailed), but please keep the posts with questions & answers on specific parts & aspects about Steve's, Dave's & other original examples (as done with parts vault on topic posts).

Otherwise, it's waaaay too hard to find it in the milieu of other O&H posts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Tom,
I "unnailed" this thread because we already have too many nailed threads (in my opinion) concerning 914's of the masses. Though I have a sweat spot for these cars, there were less than a dozen produced....and they weren't production 914's.

Our goal here (and I sincerely hope that it's "our" goal) is to produce data for the masses to use in restoring or maintaining original 914's - four or six. I say "our" because I am only the moderator here. You guys can have what you wish, if that is what you wish. I am NOT a dominator.

Until such time as the currently nailed threads can be more model-direct, I think we need fewer distractions from the goal.

However, if the masses would like this thread re-nailed, I'm OK with it because it's your Forum.

So...how about it masses? Should this topic be re-nailed or set adrift & easily reached by search?
Pat
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jan 31 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #124

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

What am I missing here? Only 16 produced? Are you talking 916's? This formerly nailed thread contains details of extremely original production 914's (primarily Steve's Sahara Beige so far). There are some extraneous posts, like this one, that should be deleted, then nail the thread.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 31 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #125

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
rph20355
post Feb 6 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 2,650

Beautiful vehicle. Just a quick question. Could you post a shot of the front end with the headlamps raised when you get a chance? I'd like to get a look at the headlamp surround color. Thanks
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 7 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #127

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 1 2010, 12:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 31 2010, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 29 2010, 07:07 PM) *

Why has this topic been dropped from the Nailed Threads ??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Pat & All - IMHO, it needs to stay "nailed" & just edit out our extraneous posts in it (including this one once moved to nailed), but please keep the posts with questions & answers on specific parts & aspects about Steve's, Dave's & other original examples (as done with parts vault on topic posts).

Otherwise, it's waaaay too hard to find it in the milieu of other O&H posts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Tom,
I "unnailed" this thread because we already have too many nailed threads (in my opinion) concerning 914's of the masses. Though I have a sweat spot for these cars, there were less than a dozen produced....and they weren't production 914's.

Our goal here (and I sincerely hope that it's "our" goal) is to produce data for the masses to use in restoring or maintaining original 914's - four or six. I say "our" because I am only the moderator here. You guys can have what you wish, if that is what you wish. I am NOT a dominator.

Until such time as the currently nailed threads can be more model-direct, I think we need fewer distractions from the goal.

However, if the masses would like this thread re-nailed, I'm OK with it because it's your Forum.

So...how about it masses? Should this topic be re-nailed or set adrift & easily reached by search?
Pat

Hey Pat - I think that maybe you thought you were un-nailing the 916 thread - but this is the one about stock-original-unmolested 914s from all years - which started with Sahara Steve's beauty ....... you know where you were being encouraged to write/edit a book on the subject !!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So how about re-nailing this & just delete this & the other extraneous posts about writing your book, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

I'd go thru & help you out by pulling my own, but IIRC only the Moderator can do so. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

So let's get this excellent resource for resto's back up nailed where it belongs & we'll all forgive your momentary lapse ........ & agian - condolences Buddy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Tom
////////

Geez,

See what happens when let a geezer have a little control?

Yeppir Tom, I fuched up & unnailed the wrong thread.

Mea Culpa!
AND....I am NOT writing a book!
Pat
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Feb 7 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #128

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 7 2010, 08:25 PM) *

Mea Culpa!
AND....I am NOT writing a book!
Pat

I was so looking forward to that book.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 8 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #129

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
smg914
post Feb 9 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #130

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

QUOTE(rph20355 @ Feb 6 2010, 06:44 PM) *

Beautiful vehicle. Just a quick question. Could you post a shot of the front end with the headlamps raised when you get a chance? I'd like to get a look at the headlamp surround color. Thanks

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smg914
post Feb 9 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #131

Sahara Beige Steve

The Sahara Beige car is a fairly late 73 car (July 1973) which is why it has the "Black" headlight surrounds. Earlier 73 914's had "White" headlight surrounds.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Feb 9 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #132

Sahara Beige Steve

Black Plastic Threshold Rails were also used on the late 73 cars.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 9 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #133

TMI....

QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 9 2010, 04:00 PM) *

Steve are the rivets along the top of the steel rockers metal or plastic?
... & are they still original?
+Quote Post
smg914
post Feb 9 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #134

Sahara Beige Steve

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 9 2010, 05:04 PM) *

The rivets along the top of the steel rockers are not the originals. I removed the side rockers back when I first got the car to clean the area behind them. They are currently held in place by black plastic rivets. However, the black plastic threshold rails have never been removed and they have their original black plastic rivets.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 9 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #135

TMI....

QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 9 2010, 05:34 PM) *

The rivets along the top of the steel rockers are not the originals. I removed the side rockers back when I first got the car to clean the area behind them. They are currently held in place by black plastic rivets. However, the black plastic threshold rails have never been removed and they have their original black plastic rivets.

Steve, were the originals black plastic or metal?? .... if you recall ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
smg914
post Feb 9 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #136

Sahara Beige Steve

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 9 2010, 05:43 PM) *

Steve, were the originals black plastic or metal?? .... if you recall ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

They were metal and so were the ones on the 914 I purchased new. For this very reason I've always thought the side rockers came from the factory with metal rivets. However, George is positive I'm wrong about this. He said they have always been black plastic.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #137

TMI....

QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 9 2010, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 9 2010, 05:43 PM) *

They were metal and so were the ones on the 914 I purchased new. For this very reason I've always thought the side rockers came from the factory with metal rivets. However, George is positive I'm wrong about this. He said they have always been black plastic.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with you - not George!

Steve, I'm looking at original metal on mine too, plus my buddy's 70 he had since new was metal along the rocker tops, plus your 2 914s - I think that George, Pat & the other "riveting wanks" here are just wrong! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I believe that metal rivets were used on the rocker tops from the factory, with plastic above at the thresholds - white with early aluminum & black with late black plastic thresholds, & now the clear rivets as Porsche's superseded part now.

I'm
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 10 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #138

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Tom I partially agree with you. I haven't seen enough pre 1973 original cars to comment on their rocker panel rivets. So, I'd have to agree with Pat, that at least on the 1.7's they were plastic. All of the unmolested 1973 on forward cars I seen, have the metal rivets in the rocker panels. Is there a likelyhood that they came from the factory with plastic rivets? And, the dealships removed the rockers to clean off the cosmoline, then replaced them with metal rivets? Doubt it, but I think that would be the only explanation. Maybe George can verify what is on his 1976, 1974 1.8 and his Motor Trend car. They all seem to be untouched. Sorry to get off topic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Thanks for opening the discussion, and thanks again for more pictures Steve.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 11 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #139

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I have a very original '70. One rocker appears untouched and has white plastic rivets. One side came with metal. That rocker had some previous damage and clearly had been removed. I replaced the rocker and used Tod914's whitel plastic replacements.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 11 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #140

Steve, I'm looking at original metal on mine too, plus my buddy's 70 he had since new was metal along the rocker tops, plus your 2 914s - I think that George, Pat & the other "riveting wanks" here are just wrong! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I believe that metal rivets were used on the rocker tops from the factory, with plastic above at the thresholds - white with early aluminum & black with late black plastic thresholds, & now the clear rivets as Porsche's superseded part now.

"riveting wanks"?

Look, I can only attest to what type of rivets my 914 was equipped with - from the Factory. I can only attest to my 914 because I know IT for 38 years, and haven't had a science of 914 rivets.

I can tell you that when I was stripping my 914 for its repaint in 1979, I had hoped to be able to remove & reuse the white plastic rivets. Had to take the rocker covers off first (before the threshold plates) and the rivets just shattered. Remember cursing Porsche for not using self-tapping screws! Which would have just made for additional rust issues.

Nope, that it from a "wank" to a "crank" - they were white plastic. I couldn't get enough to replace all of them so I got what I could from Stoddard to use on the threshold plates & replaced the rocker cover rivets with steel until Tod went the extra mile.

One thing I think I should mention, "wank" that I am, is that anyone with aluminum threshold plates should never use anything but plactic. Put a steel or aluminum rivet in those and you have the beginnings of the dreaded "dissimilar metals" crisis.

Wank rant complete. Return to your original channel.

I'm with George....well, only figuratively.
Pat

p.s. Tom - before you apologize for calling me a "wank" - DON'T. I am rarely offended, dish enough crap out myself, and understand "tongue in cheek". No harm, no foul. Just even or better.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:03 AM