Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Few, the rare......, As delivered, no resto, no repaint - show 'em!
MDG
post Dec 8 2009, 06:33 AM
Post #41

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

Thanks! It's like being transported back to a showroom in 1973.

One question; was there any issues left behind on the paint when you swapped back from those aftermarket side mirrors?

mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Dec 8 2009, 09:12 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 6,103

Steve,
What a car! What a find. And the paint to sample color, yikes! I tried to order my car with a custom color but it was too late. The production was already over for the entire 914 series. I wanted a dark metallic brown with tan interior. So I went with the Malaga Red with Tan interior. When I went to take delivery, the interior was black?? Oops, they made a mistake and tan was not to be found that late in the model year. It was either a black interior or a 924. Ultimately, I think I made the right decision. Here is me and my 914 at the staging area for the Original Owners Display at the 2005, 50th Anniversary Porsche Parade. It was great seeing you there.

Dave

Attached Image
+Quote Post
6freak
post Dec 8 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #43

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

WOW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) ...Are you missing the cover over the brake fluid reservoir..maybe they didnt come with that year car ....Again WOW
+Quote Post
tod914
post Dec 8 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Dave you car is equally as nice. I drool everytime I see it. But far enough away so I don't drip on it.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #45

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

Thanks to everyone that expressed positive comments. I'm not sure where to stop. I will add more photos and details but I don't want to hold up Dave C. from getting started with his car.

Mike, the original owner handed me a box that contained the original factory mirrors. For some reason, he didn't like the way they looked. I can't tell you how happy I was to find that Charles was smart enough to use the original factory holes to install the Vitaloni Tornado Mirrors. All I had to do was just unscrew the Vitaloni's and install the originals. I sold the Vitaloni's on ebay to a Ferrari guy for quite a bit of money.

For some reason my camera is beginning to screw up. This has been happening a lot lately. Some photos come out unrecognizable, all blurred.

A few photos of the engine compartment. Please keep in mind that I haven't cleaned these areas since the 2003 Parade. Note the factory original "RED" vacuum hoses. I soaked/washed them in wool-lite in the kitchen sink (don't tell my wife) and they turned out looking like new. Also note the original valve adjustment sticker on the left front of the engine tin and the original factory emission stickers on the left side of the body and the correct yellow tape on the voltage regulator.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #46

Sahara Beige Steve

QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 8 2009, 07:24 AM) *

WOW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) ...Are you missing the cover over the brake fluid reservoir..maybe they didnt come with that year car ....Again WOW

That was an aftermarket thing. Functional but not original.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #47

Sahara Beige Steve

QUOTE(dcheek @ Dec 8 2009, 07:12 AM) *

Steve,
What a car! What a find. And the paint to sample color, yikes! I tried to order my car with a custom color but it was too late. The production was already over for the entire 914 series. I wanted a dark metallic brown with tan interior. So I went with the Malaga Red with Tan interior. When I went to take delivery, the interior was black?? Oops, they made a mistake and tan was not to be found that late in the model year. It was either a black interior or a 924. Ultimately, I think I made the right decision. Here is me and my 914 at the staging area for the Original Owners Display at the 2005, 50th Anniversary Porsche Parade. It was great seeing you there.

Dave

Attached Image

A lot of people don't know that Dave and I have know each other since the 1970's when we were both NNJR members. It sure is great seeing you again and seeing your beyond excellant 914 is still as nice as it was back in the day. I look forward to seeing and reading about your 914. I recently talked to Joe Reid on the phone for well over an hour.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #48

Sahara Beige Steve

Rear trunk showing nice original cab plaiting on the nuts and bolts and original gauze type wrapping around the wiring harness.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #49

Sahara Beige Steve

No longer concours but here are some photos of the trans area showing the original heat exchangers and the original Boge shocks.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 8 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #50

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Thanks Steve. Keep 'em coming. How about a few more of the interior. The work involved in achieving the clean turn signal/side marker area inside the front fender is awe inspiring.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Dec 8 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #51

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 8 2009, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 8 2009, 07:24 AM) *

That was an aftermarket thing. Functional but not original.

10-4 again amazing car
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #52

Sahara Beige Steve

Center console showing the correct 1973 temp gauge with the longer red area. Perfect heat seam stiching along the top edge of the console sides. Oh yes, the period correct COCO Mats in black with tan dots.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #53

Sahara Beige Steve

Dealer installed VPC Air Conditioning under dash unit. They had to shorten the center console when AC was installed to make room for the under dash unit. Hence the altered arrangement of the three gauges. Check out the mileage on the speedo!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #54

Sahara Beige Steve

The original owner had a FLAPS leather steering wheel cover/wrap installed. I wasn't sure what I would find when I removed it but to my surprise I found it to be perfectly preserved and original.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Dec 8 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 6,103

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 8 2009, 10:18 AM) *

Dealer installed VPC Air Conditioning under dash unit. They had to shorten the center console when AC was installed to make room for the under dash unit. Hence the altered arrangement of the three gauges. Check out the mileage on the speedo!

Steve,
How is the quality of the installation of the condenser? I've seen some that were really butchered up. In fact that's why I didn't opt for it since there was a chance that my dealer would not do a neat "factory" installation.

Dave
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 8 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #56

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 7 2009, 04:07 PM) *

this looks like it was re cad plated! Much too pristine and golder (sp) than original
+Quote Post
kconway
post Dec 8 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 7 2009, 03:07 PM) *

Attached Image

I can't place this, what is this a photo of? Can't be front trunk, not correct profile for headlight?

Kev
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #58

Sahara Beige Steve

Although there are at least 10 different versions of this interior light available, this is the only one ever used (except some of the very, very early 914s had a version made by SIDLER).

The face of the lens should show: VW, Made in Germany and HELLA all etched into the plastic. The on off switch should be flat (flush with the lens) and it should be white. And of course the all important chrome bezel.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #59

Sahara Beige Steve

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 8 2009, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 7 2009, 04:07 PM) *

this looks like it was re cad plated! Much too pristine and golder (sp) than original

No, more an issue with my camera and/or the camera operator. And besides, think about it. Here is a car that was kept in a climate controlled garage its entire life, with only 22,000 original miles, every receipt since new, why in the hell would the front hood latch need to be replated????????? It shouldn't even be questioned.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 8 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #60

Sahara Beige Steve

QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 8 2009, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 7 2009, 03:07 PM) *

Attached Image

I can't place this, what is this a photo of? Can't be front trunk, not correct profile for headlight?

Kev

Kev,
No its the front trunk latch. Just a strange angle that is screwing you up. Absolutely the original front hood latch with its original cad.
+Quote Post

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:54 AM