Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> for sale, 72 914/6
mel reckling
post Dec 14 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,385

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 14 2009, 12:26 PM) *

I don't think we know for sure that his description of "yellow lenses", etc are not from 25 years ago. It could have been sitting for a long time. But you said you wanted to tinker!
This is going to be a fun and valuable car for someone.
Frankly, I think if it were on thesamba.com or ebay it would be on its way to Europe right now. Probably for way more money than someone here will pay.

I guess I did mispeak about the lights. The filaments are yellow/amber, not the lenses.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
david63
post Dec 14 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,653
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mel reckling @ Dec 14 2009, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 14 2009, 12:26 PM) *

I don't think we know for sure that his description of "yellow lenses", etc are not from 25 years ago. It could have been sitting for a long time. But you said you wanted to tinker!
This is going to be a fun and valuable car for someone.
Frankly, I think if it were on thesamba.com or ebay it would be on its way to Europe right now. Probably for way more money than someone here will pay.

I guess I did mispeak about the lights. The filaments are yellow/amber, not the lenses.

You did not mis-speak, I quoted you wrong. I think you stated the color of the lights was yellow. Sorry about that. I left you a voice mail and look forward to visiting with you on the phone. I can talk a lot better than I can type.
+Quote Post
david63
post Dec 14 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #23

Just had a great visit with Mel. I was able to sort out a couple of issues. He believes the car to be pretty rust free. He indicated the wiring had not been molested and wanted to make sure that I understand that the car has not moved in 25 years. It is not going to be a case of blowing the dust off, putting air and gas in the car and driving off.

The car will need a restoration of some magnitude depending on what you want to do with the car. I agree with other experts in that I think the car deserves to be brought up to a safe driving condition (brakes redone, fuel system re-done, reseal the engine or rebuild if necessary, change transaxle fluids, replace clutch assembly, ensure all lights, gauges, etc are good) and enjoy the car in a preservation class. If the decision is made to re-paint the car than all bets are off and the value will suffer unless a no-expense spared restoration is done. I will tell you that Mel thinks the car needs a re-spray due to discoloration on the hood.

I need to have someone in the Cleveland area that is a 914 expert look at the car and see about the rust issues (yes behind the rockers, behind the seats up against the firewall, hellhole, etc.). I assured Mel that I would not drag things out. The car is special; however, economics may make it more expensive than originally expected. I have done one complete build up from a chassis and found out very quickly that my estimate was about 40% low. Still thinking.... If there is anyone in the Cleveland area that would be willing to look at the car for me please PM me and I will get you in touch with Mel. I want to respect his time and condition and he knows that I am trying to arrange for someone to come and look at his car for me. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 15 2009, 05:33 AM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Could a member in Ohio do Mel a huge favor and go do a PPI with photo's on his car?

I've had a few people ask me about this car. I personally don't know Mel or his car. I'm just trying to help a member who is very ill.

My personial advice, if you are serious about the car, is to pay someone to do a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) or fly out and inspect it yourself. I'd say it looks solid but needs going through to make it perfect. This is a French (European spec) 914/6 that Mel imported, which will add to it's value. This is a car you would restore only to it's original glory and never modify. A 1972 French market 914/6 is fairly rare and my opinion is that real sixes will in 10+ years be fetching real close to 356 prices.
+Quote Post
tpines
post Dec 15 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 9,745
Region Association: Southern California

Hi Mel,
I am so sorry to hear about your cancer but I did want to let you know that I saw on the news awhile ago about the benefits of drinking Pomagranate Juice for people with cancer. In the study, it stopped the spread of cancer and even cured others. I even told my 86 year old friend with prostate cancer and he began to drink it and is now cancer free. I will keep you in my prayers and God bless...

Clark.
+Quote Post
Gigamight
post Dec 15 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 10,454
Region Association: Middle East

I am in the Akron area, not very far at all from Mel. I definitely don't have the funds to purchase, but I would be willing to go and check the car out and be an unbiased party for someone who is truly interested. I am sorta new to the scene, so would need to know exactly what you want inspected.

In any case, best to you Mel, and good luck with the sale. If my wife weren't taking everything I own in the divorce right now, I would love to make a 914/6 a resident in my garage, but alas, as things are now, she would own it in a couple months.
+Quote Post
david63
post Dec 15 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #27

After taking all factors into account (long distance purchase, cost to transport car, estimated cost to re-fresh car) the economics do not work for me so I will not be purchasing the car. Mel best wishes and good luck with the car. My prayers are with you.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Dec 16 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #28

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I think I could sell some stock and I might be able to make a deal work... if I can come up with a place to store this car until I can clear some space in my garage. (Maryland / NoVa guys, any suggestions?)

The problem with me, as always, is in the logistics. I'm going to Florida on Friday for 2 weeks and I would not be able to go to Ohio to check it out myself until January. So any help in getting a knowledgeable PPI would be appreciated.
+Quote Post
JonH
post Dec 16 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 10,486

With Mel's approval, I would be happy to help anyone here. I live around the corner from Mel but don't personally know him. As much as I would love the car it's not in the cards for me right now, but I do know my way around a 914. I also know a couple of good mechanics that might be able to do a PPI as well. If Mel or anyone here would like to contact me send me a PM and I'll try to help.

Jon

+Quote Post
johnlush
post Dec 17 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #30

What's all this then?

Member No.: 2,108

Mel, I'm very interested. Very sorry to see the circumstances of your sale. Please email or PM me at your convenience and we can discuss. -John
+Quote Post
krk
post Dec 18 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 22

Mel,

Interested in the car. PM/email sent.

kim.

(tough situation, btw, and best of luck with it -- I'm quite sure it's not a pony ride)
+Quote Post
post Dec 19 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 15 2009, 03:33 AM) *

Could a member in Ohio do Mel a huge favor and go do a PPI with photo's on his car?

A 1972 French market 914/6 is fairly rare and my opinion is that real sixes will in 10+ years be fetching real close to 356 prices.

First, good luck with your health concern. As to the fetching real close to 356 prices..very true-IF one was willing to let it go.

Reason, I was offer a REAL GT back in 82 ( asking was 25k)... I came home and advise the wife.
Her comment was - we can buy it, BUT I know you will never sell it. So appreciation is out of the question here.. Looking back, yes I should have bought it, but then I might be paying her via a divorce settlement by now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Good luck to any one that picks it up...yes it will cost you a ton of $$ to restore it.
My .02cents
+Quote Post
krk
post Dec 21 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(396 @ Dec 19 2009, 07:18 AM) *

A 1972 French market 914/6 is fairly rare and my opinion is that real sixes will in 10+ years be fetching real close to 356 prices.

First, good luck with your health concern. As to the fetching real close to 356 prices..very true-IF one was willing to let it go.

Reason, I was offer a REAL GT back in 82 ( asking was 25k)... I came home and advise the wife.
Her comment was - we can buy it, BUT I know you will never sell it. So appreciation is out of the question here.. Looking back, yes I should have bought it, but then I might be paying her via a divorce settlement by now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Good luck to any one that picks it up...yes it will cost you a ton of $$ to restore it.
My .02cents

I actually agree with this, and I'm approaching the idea with some trepidation but some excitement as well.

I've not heard any response to my PM/email -- hoping that doesn't mean scary news(!) -- but I'm quite attracted to this restoration project, and I'm sure only my kids would see any return value from it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I don't suppose anyone has direct contact info for Mel? Or, if he needs it, act as an intermediary for him? (feel free to contact me via PM)

kim.
+Quote Post
Jose Pitta
post Dec 21 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #34

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 11,130

QUOTE(krk @ Dec 21 2009, 12:14 PM) *

My .02cents

I actually agree with this, and I'm approaching the idea with some trepidation but some excitement as well.

I've not heard any response to my PM/email -- hoping that doesn't mean scary news(!) -- but I'm quite attracted to this restoration project, and I'm sure only my kids would see any return value from it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I don't suppose anyone has direct contact info for Mel? Or, if he needs it, act as an intermediary for him? (feel free to contact me via PM)

kim.

hi every one Mel is one lucky guy to have all of you helping him.
I have ben in contact with Mel . i will be the new owner of the 72 914-6.
sould have it home in sunny Livermore Cal mid next month.
and first thing is take new photos for all of you to see.

Joe
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 21 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #35

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Congratulations. Looking forward to pics and more about the car. No more lurking, you are now one of us.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 22 2009, 05:44 AM
Post #36

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Jose/Joe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) and to the -6 Community - Congrats

Mel, You remain in my thoughts & Prayers

Happy Holidays
T.C.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 23 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #37

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 22 2009, 03:44 AM) *

Jose/Joe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) and to the -6 Community - Congrats

Mel, You remain in my thoughts & Prayers

Happy Holidays
T.C.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The force be with you Mel!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 24 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #38

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Joe,

Congrats! I'm just up the street here in Pleasanton. Let me know if you need a trailer, or help rolling it home.

Rob
+Quote Post
krk
post Dec 25 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(Jose Pitta @ Dec 21 2009, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(krk @ Dec 21 2009, 12:14 PM) *

My .02cents

kim.

hi every one Mel is one lucky guy to have all of you helping him.
I have ben in contact with Mel . i will be the new owner of the 72 914-6.
sould have it home in sunny Livermore Cal mid next month.
and first thing is take new photos for all of you to see.

Joe

Joe, best of luck with the new addition -- look forward to seeing it out at a bay area meet of some sort! And of course, Mel, continued best of luck!

kim.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:00 PM