Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> High Output Electrical System, I know you guys are laughing at me
jsayre914
post Dec 14 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Speed Up !!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have 2 great hobbys, Porsche 914 and Car Stereo Sound.

I might not be faster than you guys, but I will have a very unique 914. I pulled all the stereo stuff out of my car, and I am starting all over. I just recieved my Kinetik batteries today.

I got a HC1800 to replace my optima, the 1800 is rated at 1900 Amps. I also purchased a HC800 rated at 950 amps. I just found a upgrade 75amp alternator and a guy who will wind it to 120amp output to drop in place of the 55amp unit. I am going to be High Voltage!

The totall draw on my stereo install will be about 120 amps at peak. I am keeping my amplifiers but building a different cabinet for the rear trunk. It will house both amps and the 800 power cell. I am ditching both capacitors that were in the trunk. The wiring will be upgraded from the alternator (Jeff Bowlsby) and I will run "0" guage from the batterys to hook togeather + to + and - to -. I will also add a few more heavy grounds from each battery to chasis and from chasis to engine. Yes there will be multiple inline fuses on the positive leads. (saftey first)

I will update this thread with pics and progress as i go.

(any comments) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Dec 14 2009, 04:34 PM
Post #2

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Not that big car stereos are my cup o' tea... But good grief man, that 1.8L motor will barely be able to stay idling with that kind of load...

I hope you're planning on replacing -all- of the high current wires in the car. The old (corrosion laced) wires in a 914 will most likely just let the magic smoke out once you crank that bad boy up. That includes the grounds. Especially the grounds...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
markb
post Dec 14 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #3

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I have a question. Being an old guy, I have to ask, isn't that really overkill? I've had 20 watt stereos in cars that would be so crisp & loud you couldn't be in the car with it cranked up. We didn't have subs back then, but never had a lack of bass. Won't you do some really bad things to your ears with that much power?
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 14 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Rock On Sparky ..................
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 14 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Sie mag Musik nur, wenn sie laut ist. Das ist alles, was sie hört.
Sie mag Musik nur, wenn sie laut ist. Wenn sie ihr in den Magen fährt.
Sie mag Musik nur, wenn sie laut ist. Wenn der boden unter den Füßen bebt.

+Quote Post
Scott S
post Dec 14 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #6

Small Member

Member No.: 633

QUOTE(markb @ Dec 14 2009, 03:35 PM) *

I have a question. Being an old guy, I have to ask, isn't that really overkill? I've had 20 watt stereos in cars that would be so crisp & loud you couldn't be in the car with it cranked up. We didn't have subs back then, but never had a lack of bass. Won't you do some really bad things to your ears with that much power?

Yup. I have been a drummer for 35 years. The last 10-12 years I was lucky enough to spend a significant amount of time touring. My monitor system was a 750 watt 18" front loaded sub with a 500 watt 15/horn on top. I also used a tactile throne (it is basically a large magnet attached to a drummers throne that allows you to really feel low frequecies). Now at 41, I try really hard not to say "huh?" as much as I am thinking it.
I went to an in ear monitor in 2007. The guys at the board consistantly comment at how the levels I ask for are close to double what the other band members have their settings at.
I should have listened when others raised concerns when I was younger. I had a doctor tell me he could actually see some damage back in my 9th grade physical to play football - and that was before my 80's hair band years (some very loud years). Now the concerns are all mine. Please be careful.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 14 2009, 06:31 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Same here, permanent damage to the ear drums and a invisible friend called "Tinnitus Maximus" ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-induced_hearing_loss

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) What?
+Quote Post
markb
post Dec 14 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #8

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 14 2009, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Dec 14 2009, 03:35 PM) *

Yup. I have been a drummer for 35 years. The last 10-12 years I was lucky enough to spend a significant amount of time touring. My monitor system was a 750 watt 18" front loaded sub with a 500 watt 15/horn on top. I also used a tactile throne (it is basically a large magnet attached to a drummers throne that allows you to really feel low frequecies). Now at 41, I try really hard not to say "huh?" as much as I am thinking it.
I went to an in ear monitor in 2007. The guys at the board consistantly comment at how the levels I ask for are close to double what the other band members have their settings at.
I should have listened when others raised concerns when I was younger. I had a doctor tell me he could actually see some damage back in my 9th grade physical to play football - and that was before my 80's hair band years (some very loud years). Now the concerns are all mine. Please be careful.

I know what you mean. I was a DJ (live & radio) for a bunch of years, and owned a karaoke business (screeching voices can be VERY hard on the ears (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) for a bunch more, and really am in need of hearing aids, but haven't broken down & got them yet. My live system now has a nice sub that helps you feel the bass without hurting the ears, & my volumes are a lot lower than what I used to run. But then again, I'm old. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Dec 14 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #9

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for the concern guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I really do feel the love from this site.

I am not trying to cause death of hearing tissue. I just want to rock. I googled Decible loudness and found a chart, after i google translated andys comment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

osha daily permissible noise level exposure

90db> (train whistle at 500ft or truck traffic) 8hrs per day

95db> (subway train at 200ft) 4hrs per day

100db> (Motorcycle) 2hrs per day

105db> (Power Mower at 3ft) 1 hr per day

110db> (Power Saw at 3ft) 1/2 hr per day

115db> (Rock Concert) 15 min per day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Dec 14 2009, 06:36 PM
Post #10

Small Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2009, 05:31 PM) *

Same here, permanent damage to the ear drums and a invisible friend called "Tinnitus Maximus" ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-induced_hearing_loss

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) What?

Hi Andy -
Yeah, me too. I have been lucky that it comes and goes - not a consitant squeal/whistle.

oh, and yes she does....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 14 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #11

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Having been an IASCA judge for many years... That's way more power than a 914 needs in a sound system. With that said, AWESOME! It may be possible for your sound system to load up the motor on idle, enough to kill the engine. You may need to run slightly higher idle speed.

You really should consider a single 10" woofer built into a fiberglass box to replace the passenger kick board (foam). A set of 6.5 inch seporates in the doors and lots of dynamat. This setup would be plenty for a cockpit this size.

I won't stop you or knock you from doing your own thing... Good luck with the install.
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Dec 14 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #12

Small Member

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Dec 14 2009, 05:35 PM) *

Thanks for the concern guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I really do feel the love from this site.

I am not trying to cause death of hearing tissue. I just want to rock. I googled Decible loudness and found a chart, after i google translated andys comment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

osha daily permissible noise level exposure

115db> (Rock Concert) 15 min per day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

So, two hours a night, a 100 or so nights per year (not including rehearsals) pretty much says I am fuched.... but I had a great time!!!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 14 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #13

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I have 400 watts in my bus and I still can't hear the damn thing at highway speed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 14 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #14

Resident German

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 14 2009, 04:39 PM) *

I am fuched.... but I had a great time!!!

Hey, you only die once! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 14 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #15

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Rock music, loud industrial equipment, hunting and race cars .........

What did you say?

That constant white noise is my head will hopefully not turn to voices.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 14 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #16

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 14 2009, 04:39 PM) *

I have 400 watts in my bus and I still can't hear the damn thing at highway speed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

You need DYNAMAT. Cover the whole interior (not cheap) and most road noise will go away. If you weld over all the windows and install a parascope, most of the wind noise will go away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Dec 14 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #17

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I think high power systems sound much crisper and produce better bass at low volumes.
I am running 2 - 8" subs, a pair of 6.5's and 5.25's with three Alpine power amps
in my car, it sounds great without having to crank it. With the top off on the high way i do have to crank it up a bit, lose the high fidelity but have plenty of sound.

My engine cranks up the noise when not listening to the tunes.
Tunes are great when i have the car parked at the shows i've been to. I have a 60's - 70's music disc i made and play it for all to enjoy when they are checking out the car.

Install away it's your car and your ears......

I lost some of my hearing at a Plasmatics concert, i can think of much better ways to go deaf......

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 14 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #18

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 14 2009, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 14 2009, 04:39 PM) *

You need DYNAMAT. Cover the whole interior (not cheap) and most road noise will go away. If you weld over all the windows and install a parascope, most of the wind noise will go away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Double layered in the stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) NEXT! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 14 2009, 07:20 PM
Post #19

Resident German

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 14 2009, 05:05 PM) *

I lost some of my hearing at a Plasmatics concert

Wendy O. !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Too bad she killed herself ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad2.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 14 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #20

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

ROCK ON, DUDE!

You'll have a kick ass stereo and the electrical system to power it.

Good luck with your build. Take lots of pics.

0 gauge wire is the way to go.

I recall a bunch of years back (more than 10) before these 1 Farad capacitors were commercially available, a high end stereo shop had a system with gold plated wires and 2 extra car batteries in the trunk for the umph needed to power the system.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:50 AM