Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I am going LS1. 8 guys, please stop in...., Does anyone want a bunch of 50k mile super nice Type IV l-jet parts &a
jimkelly
post Dec 21 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #21

Delaware USA

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

a 5.3 thread

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/197836/

another link

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/dont-co...gnations-27127/

http://blogs.popularhotrodding.com/6256929...hing/index.html

http://www.brphotrods.com/
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Dec 21 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #22

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112
Region Association: None

isn't the 996 Transaxle the same bolt pattern/starter location as the Boxster S six speed?

http://www.kennedyeng.com/vw_por.htm

We are now manufacturing an adapter kit to install an LS series engine to the Porsche 996.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Dec 21 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #23

Jim McIntosh

Boxster S 6 speed:

Attached Image

996 transmission:

Attached Image

The side pics show that the flanges are 6 bolt on the Boxster S, and IIRC they have the same diameter as the 930 flanges. (refer to Eric's thread on 'simple' 5 lug conversion for getting the power to the wheels from the trans).
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 21 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #24

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 19 2009, 04:21 PM) *

Honestly... I'd buy a C5 Corvette and be driving it immediately rather than spending the time and effort on a conversion.

Wow, that completely bypasses everything I love about the idea of a v8 914. With its mid-engine configuration, lighter weight, and everything else dialed in, the 914 is not even close to being the same. I don't want just another vette or other common muscle car. A v8 914 is a unique sleeper.

Ahhh, sleepers... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
"Hey look dear, it's an old 914... I hear they came with vw motors. Hahah." Then it rips off like a muscle car. Yet handles better.
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Dec 27 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #25

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Member No.: 10,389

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 21 2009, 06:40 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 19 2009, 04:21 PM) *

Honestly... I'd buy a C5 Corvette and be driving it immediately rather than spending the time and effort on a conversion.

Wow, that completely bypasses everything I love about the idea of a v8 914. With its mid-engine configuration, lighter weight, and everything else dialed in, the 914 is not even close to being the same. I don't want just another vette or other common muscle car. A v8 914 is a unique sleeper.

Ahhh, sleepers... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
"Hey look dear, it's an old 914... I hear they came with vw motors. Hahah." Then it rips off like a muscle car. Yet handles better.

This is exactly the goal. And I am going to have to stay with an LS1, as it seems to be the cheapest option of staying aluminum block which is a foundational requirement of mine.

No offense to other(iron) v8 guys, but I just want to start by keeping the weight down as much as possible.
+Quote Post
andys
post Dec 27 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

It would be good to know if the bolt patterns are the same, though the two transaxles probably are not unless the Boxster motor rotates in the opposite direction. Kennedy could answer the bolt pattern question.

Having done (well, almost done anyway) an LS1/914 conversion, it takes some doing in terms of fabricating special parts but doable it is. I'd be concerned with the 901 transaxle strength, but that mostly depends on how you drive it; Some people can ruin just about any trans in a heartbeat while others' can make them last just fine. I'm using an Audi 01E 6 speed which some have claimed is good to 500HP, but I'm not anywhere near that anyway. Took a lot of special fabrication to adapt it and to mount it into the car.

The below is a photo before the engine/trans were installed. I did drive the car only once so far just up and down the street; no license plates, no insurance, so I parked it quick.

Andys

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Dec 28 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #27

Jim McIntosh

I confirmed it with Brad and Jake. =o) the Boxster S and the 996 are the same bolt pattern. Similar to the 911 901 and the 914 901, they did the internal modifications to make it mid engine instead of tail dragger.

Don't mention to KEP that you'd be using the Boxster S trans, though. they don't know the differences between the Boxster and Boxster S transmissions yet. Just because they make a product doesn't mean they know all of the applications that it could work with.
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Dec 28 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #28

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Member No.: 10,389

QUOTE(RJMII @ Dec 28 2009, 10:45 AM) *

I confirmed it with Brad and Jake. =o) the Boxster S and the 996 are the same bolt pattern. Similar to the 911 901 and the 914 901, they did the internal modifications to make it mid engine instead of tail dragger.

Don't mention to KEP that you'd be using the Boxster S trans, though. they don't know the differences between the Boxster and Boxster S transmissions yet. Just because they make a product doesn't mean they know all of the applications that it could work with.

Now I am wondering how much for a boxster S box, and then I can hopefully fabricate some stick linkage up.

I can not stand cables, I am so done with them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

What do those go for normally? I can fab up some trans mounts and i can perhaps hack apart 914 axles or do something semi custom there if it has not been done.

I am on the fence gearbox wise. I can probably keep a 901 together, but I would also like to buy the right kennedy adapter kit 1x and do it right.

I would hate to blow apart a few 901 boxes, wasting them and time.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Dec 28 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #29

Jim McIntosh

From what I've read (mostly in some of Jake's posts); The shifter and cables would be an easy integration into the 914. Probably a lot easier than shift linkage. Stock Boxster S cables, Stock Boxster S shifter, Custom mount built in the right spot for your right hand.

Did you already do a five lug conversion? Did you check out Eric's thread on the five lug conversion? He addresses some key axle issues there that would be a worthy read. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...view=getnewpost

The cost range on the Boxster S transaxles that I've seen on ePay run from $2k - $3k. (I've been watching them because I want to put one behind my V6)
+Quote Post
pjhaun
post Jan 13 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,055

front.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 13 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #31

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

If you want a carbed SBC buy a carbed SBC, not an LS engine. The whole reason the LS engine is so nice and has such great #'s is the fuel management system and intake setup.

Going carbed is just back dating 20 years..

Just throw on a cam and put a cone filter off the throttle body. You wont have it any other way. And you'll probably actually drive the thing.

Good luck, Oh and a boxster trani setup sounds like your adding a year to the project and at least $3k

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:00 PM