Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Have I Done?, ADDED PHOTOS OF SUSPECTED BS
kconway
post Dec 20 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

The DAPO installed some crazy computer system in my car that monitored all kinds of stuff, CV velocity, injector pulses to name a few. None of it worked so I intended to rip it all out someday...that was today.

The dash frame was hacked up as well to house the computer and some hack job on the vent controls since they had to move to make room for the computer, so today I decided to pull the dash frame so I could return it to stock condition. I labeled wires I pulled off the gauges and pulled the switched out of the dash without pulling off wires.

The forward harness is just laying in the floor and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Tell me there is a resource available to put it all back together. Wire that previously went to the air controls were wired to switches...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Kev
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Dec 20 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,073

QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 20 2009, 08:06 PM) *

The DAPO installed some crazy computer system in my car that monitored all kinds of stuff, CV velocity, injector pulses to name a few. None of it worked so I intended to rip it all out someday...that was today.

The dash frame was hacked up as well to house the computer and some hack job on the vent controls since they had to move to make room for the computer, so today I decided to pull the dash frame so I could return it to stock condition. I labeled wires I pulled off the gauges and pulled the switched out of the dash without pulling off wires.

The forward harness is just laying in the floor and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Tell me there is a resource available to put it all back together. Wire that previously went to the air controls were wired to switches...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Kev

Waddup Kev! kewl another socal er! try these links for help:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914parts.htm
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

pm if you need help dude im in rancho cucamonga. i have an intacted electrical system in the car in the garage and no how your feelin (PO completely disaasembled FI system and ihad to put it back together) I can send pics or help id ing wires. what year you got? thanks,Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Dec 20 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #3

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

We'll all done that one time or other. Good news is you probably have another 914er close by that can help and after 30-40 hours of work you'll figure it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Really it's not that hard after you understand how German wires layout. They're all color coded. There's an ebay store that sells jumbo size, laminated, colored and labeled electrical schematics..http://www.colorwiringdiagrams.com
It's the only way I finally figured it out. Post Pictures! Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 20 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Tell me there is a resource available to put it all back together.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) That's what we're here for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) You'll get through it.
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Dec 20 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

I have been in the "overwhelmed" situations and evry time so far they worked out easier than anticiapted without fail, it is the seamingly simple things that get out of the expecation of difficulty level, and the seemingly hard things that are suprisingly easier.. You will get it wired and as a result have a much better understanding of how your 914 works. Basic 914 wiring is an awesome thing to understand as down the road it will make unusual problems instantly recognizeable and deciferable. When your done you will know how to find ghosts.. Good Luck post it here we will help..
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post Dec 20 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #6

It's phonetic...Ah-D-O-Man (Audioman)

Member No.: 5,084

Kevin - what year is your car? I've got a really nice laminated full color wiring diagram you could borrow that's for a 74 and up.
+Quote Post
kconway
post Dec 20 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(ahdoman @ Dec 20 2009, 09:36 PM) *

Kevin - what year is your car? I've got a really nice laminated full color wiring diagram you could borrow that's for a 74 and up.

My car is a 74.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Dec 21 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 20 2009, 09:54 PM) *

My car is a 74.

Attached Image

hey Kev can you post some pics of your engine bay (motor installed)? i want to compare harness and wiring locations. any help would be great. i have a 74 1.8
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 21 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Dude, you live in Long Beach. You have one of the most prolific and best communities available to you. Joe Sharp, T H O M A S, just to name 2 of the many. You will be OK, unless they dont like you, then you are screwed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
swood
post Dec 21 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 251

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 21 2009, 09:17 PM) *

Dude, you live in Long Beach. You have one of the most prolific and best communities available to you. Joe Sharp, T H O M A S, just to name 2 of the many. You will be OK, unless they dont like you, then you are screwed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I'm your neighbor. I like you...problem is I don't know jack shitake. But, if you need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here for you. I may even have a '74 harness that may be in "less worse" shape than what you got. But like I said, I wouldn't know.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Dec 21 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(swood @ Dec 21 2009, 09:25 PM) *

I'm your neighbor. I like you...problem is I don't know jack shitake. But, if you need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here for you. I may even have a '74 harness that may be in "less worse" shape than what you got. But like I said, I wouldn't know.

seriously guys wtf. im just down the road and will drop everything to help.i am not well knowledged but can figure out anything in electronics....so why the cold shoulder? just trying to help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Dec 22 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #12

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Member No.: 3,095

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 21 2009, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(swood @ Dec 21 2009, 09:25 PM) *

seriously guys wtf. im just down the road and will drop everything to help.i am not well knowledged but can figure out anything in electronics....so why the cold shoulder? just trying to help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

I think a relax pill might be in order. The guys are not tryin to dis you, but they have been around for a very long time and happen to know a couple people who have also been around a long time who are in the area and know they can help. They just don't know you.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 22 2009, 01:06 AM
Post #13

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Know who? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Easy does it, man.
+Quote Post
kconway
post Dec 22 2009, 01:26 AM
Post #14

Thanks guys, I appreciate the offers and votes of confidence. Things are a bit hectic here today and I probably won't get a chance to dive back in until after the holiday. I've had a day to take a few deep breaths and I know I'll get it worked out. I think the biggest problem is I have no point of reference since the PO made some modifications I don't know what it's suppose to look like and what switch goes where.

Here are a few photos of the dash frame, I suspect the biggest unknown is the wiring that goes to the fresh air slider controls, they were connected to a rheostat in the dash. Hopefully they're still long enough to get to where they need to be.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I've met a few of the locals including Joe and Thomas and I have no doubt I'll get this worked out, I really appreciate the offers I've received here and in PM's.

Kev (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
kconway
post Dec 22 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 21 2009, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 20 2009, 09:54 PM) *

My car is a 74.

Attached Image

hey Kev can you post some pics of your engine bay (motor installed)? i want to compare harness and wiring locations. any help would be great. i have a 74 1.8

No can do, engine is presently out of the car as is most of the FI and ignition wiring.
Kev
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post Dec 22 2009, 09:17 AM
Post #16

It's phonetic...Ah-D-O-Man (Audioman)

Member No.: 5,084

Kevin - That dash assembly setup is really bizarre and that's a big hole! If you're down this far you might consider just buying a whole new dash assembly from somebody who has some parts cars and just bolt it in. Ask them to include the heater/vent assembly as well.

Note; Bruce Stone probably has one and he's local. PM him; bdstone914.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Dec 22 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #17

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

I have a complete harness from a '75 in a box that may help. When I first got it, I mounted it the length of the garage wall; I wanted to see where everthing goes. A few of the color coded wires were cut and used on my 914; 99% is intact with switches and fuse panel. I also have a laminated wire diagram. Let me know if you can use it. It's in a box and ready to use.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kconway
post Dec 22 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(ahdoman @ Dec 22 2009, 07:17 AM) *

Kevin - That dash assembly setup is really bizarre and that's a big hole! If you're down this far you might consider just buying a whole new dash assembly from somebody who has some parts cars and just bolt it in. Ask them to include the heater/vent assembly as well.

Note; Bruce Stone probably has one and he's local. PM him; bdstone914.

Steve,
One of the first things I did when I got this car some 4-5 years ago was locate a dashframe. Mike D. up your way graciously donated one I'm going to use.
+Quote Post
kconway
post Dec 22 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #19

Can you identify these as original wires/connectors and what they go to?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 22 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #20

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

#1 - Goes to the Steering column

#2 - Dash lights (well, you have the sockets, without the lights)

#3 - A switch of sorts, a pic of the knob would help ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:45 PM