Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Have I Done?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
The DAPO installed some crazy computer system in my car that monitored all kinds of stuff, CV velocity, injector pulses to name a few. None of it worked so I intended to rip it all out someday...that was today.

The dash frame was hacked up as well to house the computer and some hack job on the vent controls since they had to move to make room for the computer, so today I decided to pull the dash frame so I could return it to stock condition. I labeled wires I pulled off the gauges and pulled the switched out of the dash without pulling off wires.

The forward harness is just laying in the floor and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Tell me there is a resource available to put it all back together. Wire that previously went to the air controls were wired to switches...

blink.gif blink.gif huh.gif huh.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

Kev
silver74insocal
QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 20 2009, 08:06 PM) *

The DAPO installed some crazy computer system in my car that monitored all kinds of stuff, CV velocity, injector pulses to name a few. None of it worked so I intended to rip it all out someday...that was today.

The dash frame was hacked up as well to house the computer and some hack job on the vent controls since they had to move to make room for the computer, so today I decided to pull the dash frame so I could return it to stock condition. I labeled wires I pulled off the gauges and pulled the switched out of the dash without pulling off wires.

The forward harness is just laying in the floor and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Tell me there is a resource available to put it all back together. Wire that previously went to the air controls were wired to switches...

Kev

Waddup Kev! kewl another socal er! try these links for help:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914parts.htm
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

pm if you need help dude im in rancho cucamonga. i have an intacted electrical system in the car in the garage and no how your feelin (PO completely disaasembled FI system and ihad to put it back together) I can send pics or help id ing wires. what year you got? thanks,Dave beerchug.gif
bandjoey
We'll all done that one time or other. Good news is you probably have another 914er close by that can help and after 30-40 hours of work you'll figure it out. biggrin.gif Really it's not that hard after you understand how German wires layout. They're all color coded. There's an ebay store that sells jumbo size, laminated, colored and labeled electrical schematics..http://www.colorwiringdiagrams.com
It's the only way I finally figured it out. Post Pictures! Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
McMark
Tell me there is a resource available to put it all back together.

welcome.png That's what we're here for. thumb3d.gif You'll get through it.
detoxcowboy
I have been in the "overwhelmed" situations and evry time so far they worked out easier than anticiapted without fail, it is the seamingly simple things that get out of the expecation of difficulty level, and the seemingly hard things that are suprisingly easier.. You will get it wired and as a result have a much better understanding of how your 914 works. Basic 914 wiring is an awesome thing to understand as down the road it will make unusual problems instantly recognizeable and deciferable. When your done you will know how to find ghosts.. Good Luck post it here we will help..
ahdoman
Kevin - what year is your car? I've got a really nice laminated full color wiring diagram you could borrow that's for a 74 and up.
kconway
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Dec 20 2009, 09:36 PM) *

Kevin - what year is your car? I've got a really nice laminated full color wiring diagram you could borrow that's for a 74 and up.

My car is a 74.

Click to view attachment
silver74insocal
QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 20 2009, 09:54 PM) *

My car is a 74.

Click to view attachment

hey Kev can you post some pics of your engine bay (motor installed)? i want to compare harness and wiring locations. any help would be great. i have a 74 1.8
Dr Evil
Dude, you live in Long Beach. You have one of the most prolific and best communities available to you. Joe Sharp, T H O M A S, just to name 2 of the many. You will be OK, unless they dont like you, then you are screwed wink.gif
swood
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 21 2009, 09:17 PM) *

Dude, you live in Long Beach. You have one of the most prolific and best communities available to you. Joe Sharp, T H O M A S, just to name 2 of the many. You will be OK, unless they dont like you, then you are screwed wink.gif

I'm your neighbor. I like you...problem is I don't know jack shitake. But, if you need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here for you. I may even have a '74 harness that may be in "less worse" shape than what you got. But like I said, I wouldn't know.

biggrin.gif
silver74insocal
QUOTE(swood @ Dec 21 2009, 09:25 PM) *

I'm your neighbor. I like you...problem is I don't know jack shitake. But, if you need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here for you. I may even have a '74 harness that may be in "less worse" shape than what you got. But like I said, I wouldn't know.

biggrin.gif

seriously guys wtf. im just down the road and will drop everything to help.i am not well knowledged but can figure out anything in electronics....so why the cold shoulder? just trying to help WTF.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 21 2009, 09:47 PM) *

biggrin.gif

seriously guys wtf. im just down the road and will drop everything to help.i am not well knowledged but can figure out anything in electronics....so why the cold shoulder? just trying to help WTF.gif

I think a relax pill might be in order. The guys are not tryin to dis you, but they have been around for a very long time and happen to know a couple people who have also been around a long time who are in the area and know they can help. They just don't know you.
Dr Evil
Know who? tongue.gif poke.gif Easy does it, man.
kconway
Thanks guys, I appreciate the offers and votes of confidence. Things are a bit hectic here today and I probably won't get a chance to dive back in until after the holiday. I've had a day to take a few deep breaths and I know I'll get it worked out. I think the biggest problem is I have no point of reference since the PO made some modifications I don't know what it's suppose to look like and what switch goes where.

Here are a few photos of the dash frame, I suspect the biggest unknown is the wiring that goes to the fresh air slider controls, they were connected to a rheostat in the dash. Hopefully they're still long enough to get to where they need to be.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I've met a few of the locals including Joe and Thomas and I have no doubt I'll get this worked out, I really appreciate the offers I've received here and in PM's.

Kev beerchug.gif

kconway
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 21 2009, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 20 2009, 09:54 PM) *

My car is a 74.

Click to view attachment

hey Kev can you post some pics of your engine bay (motor installed)? i want to compare harness and wiring locations. any help would be great. i have a 74 1.8

No can do, engine is presently out of the car as is most of the FI and ignition wiring.
Kev
ahdoman
Kevin - That dash assembly setup is really bizarre and that's a big hole! If you're down this far you might consider just buying a whole new dash assembly from somebody who has some parts cars and just bolt it in. Ask them to include the heater/vent assembly as well.

Note; Bruce Stone probably has one and he's local. PM him; bdstone914.
jim_hoyland
I have a complete harness from a '75 in a box that may help. When I first got it, I mounted it the length of the garage wall; I wanted to see where everthing goes. A few of the color coded wires were cut and used on my 914; 99% is intact with switches and fuse panel. I also have a laminated wire diagram. Let me know if you can use it. It's in a box and ready to use.
kconway
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Dec 22 2009, 07:17 AM) *

Kevin - That dash assembly setup is really bizarre and that's a big hole! If you're down this far you might consider just buying a whole new dash assembly from somebody who has some parts cars and just bolt it in. Ask them to include the heater/vent assembly as well.

Note; Bruce Stone probably has one and he's local. PM him; bdstone914.

Steve,
One of the first things I did when I got this car some 4-5 years ago was locate a dashframe. Mike D. up your way graciously donated one I'm going to use.
kconway
Can you identify these as original wires/connectors and what they go to?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
#1 - Goes to the Steering column

#2 - Dash lights (well, you have the sockets, without the lights)

#3 - A switch of sorts, a pic of the knob would help ...

bye1.gif Andy
mightyohm
Sorry to hijack but am I the only person who wants to see pics of the crazy computer system that you are ripping out? biggrin.gif
kconway
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 22 2009, 03:37 PM) *

#1 - Goes to the Steering column

#2 - Dash lights (well, you have the sockets, without the lights)

#3 - A switch of sorts, a pic of the knob would help ...

bye1.gif Andy

#1 YES, thank you. Didn't notice that one when I pulled the column, just the two smaller connectors. Unfortunately, the hot wire does not stay seated in this connector. Got lucky as I noticed a big slice in the jacketing of the hot wire before I melted everything after reassembly!

#2. Okay, maybe there are dash lights on the fresh air controls? All other dash lights are accounted for.

#3 I suspect these go to the terminals on the fresh air sliders. This knob says "lights" but as i remember it I think they operated the fan for the defroster?
kconway
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Dec 22 2009, 03:44 PM) *

Sorry to hijack but am I the only person who wants to see pics of the crazy computer system that you are ripping out? biggrin.gif

Jeff,
computer system is long gone but there are photos here in this post>

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=61776&hl=
SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 22 2009, 03:46 PM) *

#3 I suspect these go to the terminals on the fresh air sliders. This knob says "lights" but as i remember it I think they operated the fan for the defroster?

Aha. The fresh air fan is normally operated by the dash controls, so you won't need that switch anymore ...

And yes, the dash lights go to the dash controls ...
shades.gif Andy

Kev

Talk to Art.. that's provided he has time now the he's hooked up again.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Dec 22 2009, 06:44 PM) *

I remember that thread.
My teenage buddy, with a dad that had all the toys, had this in a Lincoln. Early bling.
Computer was kind of lame, late 70's tech, it did do MPG, temp, time, bunch of engine monitors. You know useless crap to a kid who drove a beat bug.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Dec 21 2009, 10:52 PM) *

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 21 2009, 09:47 PM) *

biggrin.gif

I think a relax pill might be in order. The guys are not tryin to dis you, but they have been around for a very long time and happen to know a couple people who have also been around a long time who are in the area and know they can help. They just don't know you.

no worries..sorry bad choice of words. i should have put a happier smiley face at the end to notate my un seriousness..is that a word? grouphug.gif
kconway
QUOTE(396 @ Dec 22 2009, 07:51 PM) *

Kev

Talk to Art.. that's provided he has time now the he's hooked up again.

I'll have to track himd down when we go back to work. I thought he told me he sold everything he had, maybe that was -6 diagrams?
rascobo
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 20 2009, 08:29 PM) *

We'll all done that one time or other. Good news is you probably have another 914er close by that can help and after 30-40 hours of work you'll figure it out. biggrin.gif Really it's not that hard after you understand how German wires layout. They're all color coded. There's an ebay store that sells jumbo size, laminated, colored and labeled electrical schematics..http://www.colorwiringdiagrams.com
It's the only way I finally figured it out. Post Pictures! Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

Hell, thirty to forty hours? My first time it took Me that long to stop crying and crawl out from under my blankets. Ahh, the good old days before the Internet and this fancy,smancy '914 World.com, when real men figured it out on their own or walked (damn, but My feet still hurt)!

Hang in there, there are a lot of resources and help available, and a sense of pride, accomplishment and satisfaction when You persevere and finally overcome and defeat these wonderful and sometimes evil little Teutonic love machines.

A trip through the Emoticons can pretty much tell the story.

Haven't been to bed yet, can You tell?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.