Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift Rod adjustment
luvatenor
post Dec 30 2009, 03:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,154
Region Association: None

Having replaced all of the shift rod bushings in my 76'(what a difference, and I actually enjoyed the experience), I now undertake the final adjustment. 1st and Reverse snap in, 2nd and 3rd are good but 4th and 5th are vague. I remember that the shift rod has to be rotated one spline at a time until it is correct. Is it clockwise or counter clockwise? As always, thank you-Rolf
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AvalonFal
post Dec 30 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(luvatenor @ Dec 30 2009, 04:18 AM) *

Having replaced all of the shift rod bushings in my 76'(what a difference, and I actually enjoyed the experience), I now undertake the final adjustment. 1st and Reverse snap in, 2nd and 3rd are good but 4th and 5th are vague. I remember that the shift rod has to be rotated one spline at a time until it is correct. Is it clockwise or counter clockwise? As always, thank you-Rolf

I believe rotating clockwise makes 4th & 5th easier, but Rev and 1st more difficult.

Paul
+Quote Post
etcmss
post Dec 31 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #3

etcmss

Member No.: 5,899
Region Association: Upper MidWest

did you get this solved?
I didn't think the spline adjustment you describe makes any difference. The one I was thinking about (in the center tunnel at the shifter) doesn't fit by splines --its a slip fit over the splines (unless I'm off track here)
If its the one at the shifter I had this problem where 4th and 5th were not clean-the shifter alignment was off and the bolts got in the way-even though it worked.

+Quote Post
luvatenor
post Dec 31 2009, 05:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(etcmss @ Dec 31 2009, 03:53 AM) *

did you get this solved?
I didn't think the spline adjustment you describe makes any difference. The one I was thinking about (in the center tunnel at the shifter) doesn't fit by splines --its a slip fit over the splines (unless I'm off track here)
If its the one at the shifter I had this problem where 4th and 5th were not clean-the shifter alignment was off and the bolts got in the way-even though it worked.

Yes I think I finally understand the procedure. I put a vice grip on the shift rod in the tunnel, loosened the pinch bolt alot and moved the shifter a little clockwise and re-tigthened the pinch bolt. 4th and 5th are now there. A few more adjustments and all of the gears are accessible with definite 'gate' feel. It took me awhile(getting old) but felt great .Hope that helps-Rolf
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 31 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Adjustment can be tricky, but the more time you spend on it.. eventuall you figure it out.

I installed a rennshifter on my race car with the updated positive linkage back to the case, and it was.. um interesting to say the least.
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Jan 1 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

Shifter/Shift Rod Indexing.. Lean the Shifter towards the 1st/2nd before and holding that position while tightening the Shift Rod Connector Bolt this enable an smoother/looser 4th/5th ...lean the Shift Rob the other way towards 4th/5th leaves an easier/smoother 1st/2nd .. to far either way has the opposite effect the other side so in extreme you could smooth as honey 1st while just about if not completely difficult 4th/5th.. So you have to play with a bit,. I found leaning/pushing just a bit 10mm or so towards and into the reverse springed bar/guide/protection and holding there while tightening is a pretty close point to start.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:06 PM