Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
luvatenor
Having replaced all of the shift rod bushings in my 76'(what a difference, and I actually enjoyed the experience), I now undertake the final adjustment. 1st and Reverse snap in, 2nd and 3rd are good but 4th and 5th are vague. I remember that the shift rod has to be rotated one spline at a time until it is correct. Is it clockwise or counter clockwise? As always, thank you-Rolf
AvalonFal
QUOTE(luvatenor @ Dec 30 2009, 04:18 AM) *

Having replaced all of the shift rod bushings in my 76'(what a difference, and I actually enjoyed the experience), I now undertake the final adjustment. 1st and Reverse snap in, 2nd and 3rd are good but 4th and 5th are vague. I remember that the shift rod has to be rotated one spline at a time until it is correct. Is it clockwise or counter clockwise? As always, thank you-Rolf

I believe rotating clockwise makes 4th & 5th easier, but Rev and 1st more difficult.

Paul
etcmss
did you get this solved?
I didn't think the spline adjustment you describe makes any difference. The one I was thinking about (in the center tunnel at the shifter) doesn't fit by splines --its a slip fit over the splines (unless I'm off track here)
If its the one at the shifter I had this problem where 4th and 5th were not clean-the shifter alignment was off and the bolts got in the way-even though it worked.

luvatenor
QUOTE(etcmss @ Dec 31 2009, 03:53 AM) *

did you get this solved?
I didn't think the spline adjustment you describe makes any difference. The one I was thinking about (in the center tunnel at the shifter) doesn't fit by splines --its a slip fit over the splines (unless I'm off track here)
If its the one at the shifter I had this problem where 4th and 5th were not clean-the shifter alignment was off and the bolts got in the way-even though it worked.

Yes I think I finally understand the procedure. I put a vice grip on the shift rod in the tunnel, loosened the pinch bolt alot and moved the shifter a little clockwise and re-tigthened the pinch bolt. 4th and 5th are now there. A few more adjustments and all of the gears are accessible with definite 'gate' feel. It took me awhile(getting old) but felt great .Hope that helps-Rolf
EdwardBlume
Adjustment can be tricky, but the more time you spend on it.. eventuall you figure it out.

I installed a rennshifter on my race car with the updated positive linkage back to the case, and it was.. um interesting to say the least.
detoxcowboy
Shifter/Shift Rod Indexing.. Lean the Shifter towards the 1st/2nd before and holding that position while tightening the Shift Rod Connector Bolt this enable an smoother/looser 4th/5th ...lean the Shift Rob the other way towards 4th/5th leaves an easier/smoother 1st/2nd .. to far either way has the opposite effect the other side so in extreme you could smooth as honey 1st while just about if not completely difficult 4th/5th.. So you have to play with a bit,. I found leaning/pushing just a bit 10mm or so towards and into the reverse springed bar/guide/protection and holding there while tightening is a pretty close point to start.. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.