Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how to convert, to right hand drive
effutuo101
post Dec 31 2009, 12:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Just looked at that nasty thread about the right hand drive 914. If one where thinking about converting, what would it take?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Dec 31 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #2

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

money
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 31 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Dec 31 2009, 11:16 AM) *

Just looked at that nasty thread about the right hand drive 914. If one where thinking about converting, what would it take?

cut the tank in half cut the bulkhead in half cut the dash and dashpad in half get a right hand drive pedal cluster extension assembly, cut and move the emergency brake to the right longitudinal along with the cable tubes through the firewall cut and move the steering column mount along with the cut bulkhead.

Thankfully in Australia they no longer have to convert old cars to right hand drive. When I was there in 1998 for the 50th celebration of Porsche I saw at least 25 914s at the big show and all were butchered to right hand drive, and I mean BUTCHERED! Bottom line is: 914s were never manufactured to be right hand drive so DON"T TRY to convert!
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Dec 31 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Thank you George!
Never hurts to ask.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 31 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

What ever happened to the race project where the seat was moved to the middle?
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 31 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #6

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

What would it take? A total lack of good sense. And stay clear of roundabouts, too.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 31 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #7

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Just flip the car upside down.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 31 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

IIRC, ALL the RHD 914s were produced by an English contractor, and there are NO parts available, other than used. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 31 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Well that settles that then. My car will stay left hand drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
veltror
post Jan 1 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,978

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 1 2010, 01:51 AM) *

IIRC, ALL the RHD 914s were produced by an English contractor, and there are NO parts available, other than used. The Cap'n

The contractor was actually Crayford Engineering, there are no parts available not even used, the dash was a fibreglass thing. See previous threads on right hand drive conversions
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Jan 1 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 31 2009, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Dec 31 2009, 11:16 AM) *

cut the tank in half cut the bulkhead in half cut the dash and dashpad in half get a right hand drive pedal cluster extension assembly, cut and move the emergency brake to the right longitudinal along with the cable tubes through the firewall cut and move the steering column mount along with the cut bulkhead.

Thankfully in Australia they no longer have to convert old cars to right hand drive. When I was there in 1998 for the 50th celebration of Porsche I saw at least 25 914s at the big show and all were butchered to right hand drive, and I mean BUTCHERED! Bottom line is: 914s were never manufactured to be right hand drive so DON"T TRY to convert!

If it is anything like the Dealers A.C. installation, not even experienced butchers I ponder..
+Quote Post
barrym
post Jul 28 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,008

QUOTE(veltror @ Jan 1 2010, 11:50 PM) *

The contractor was actually Crayford Engineering, there are no parts available not even used, the dash was a fibreglass thing. See previous threads on right hand drive conversions

sorry to bring up such as on thread - came across it while searing for something else ...

my 914 was converted to RHD in Australia and seems to have had a reasonably good job of it done. the dash was cut, re-enforced & glued / recovered in vinyl .. the metal backing for the dash was cut & welded and a new section of steel was bent & welded in for the pedal box area.

I bought the car as a project car and didn't come with a fuel tank but has been previously registered as RHS in Western Australia (checked with rego people & also has stickers for WA rego on it)

I just got the car back from 6 months in storage as I moved states ... i'll get my build thread back on track ...
+Quote Post
dale73914
post Aug 4 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,562
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(barrym @ Jul 29 2015, 09:02 AM) *

sorry to bring up such as on thread - came across it while searing for something else ...

my 914 was converted to RHD in Australia and seems to have had a reasonably good job of it done. the dash was cut, re-enforced & glued / recovered in vinyl .. the metal backing for the dash was cut & welded and a new section of steel was bent & welded in for the pedal box area.

I bought the car as a project car and didn't come with a fuel tank but has been previously registered as RHS in Western Australia (checked with rego people & also has stickers for WA rego on it)

I just got the car back from 6 months in storage as I moved states ... i'll get my build thread back on track ...

Hey Barry,

I cant remember if i have spoken to you or not.
I have a RHD one as well.
I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers

Dale

+Quote Post
Downunderman
post Aug 4 2015, 04:55 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 766

Barry,

Glad to hear you are back at it. Mine is stripped and I'm about to attack it with a plasma cutter and do the left to right. I have got an OBP pedal unit to put in it. http://www.obpltd.com/Pedal-Boxes/Pro-Race-V3, also going to use a Fuelsafe bladder tank in the original location after lengthening the foot well. I cant find a fibreglass dashtop though.

I have been delayed a bit lately with a certain Alfa 1750 which is now painted and going back together.

Cheers,

H
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 4 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As usual you all are overthinking this. Only a 914 owner can take a $200 job & turn it into a $4000 job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) So luckily you are on 914world & have the benefit of "WWJD"

Yes that is what would Jamie do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Step one. Get your duck tape out. Use your right hand to wrap around your chest with your left hand under the tape.

Step 2: Drive your car. It is now only a right handed drive car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Just be smart when you shift (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
dale73914
post Aug 4 2015, 09:15 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 13,562

QUOTE(Downunderman @ Aug 5 2015, 08:55 AM) *

Barry,

Glad to hear you are back at it. Mine is stripped and I'm about to attack it with a plasma cutter and do the left to right. I have got an OBP pedal unit to put in it. http://www.obpltd.com/Pedal-Boxes/Pro-Race-V3, also going to use a Fuelsafe bladder tank in the original location after lengthening the foot well. I cant find a fibreglass dashtop though.

I have been delayed a bit lately with a certain Alfa 1750 which is now painted and going back together.

Cheers,

H

Hi Howard,

Could this mob help at all ???

http://dashboarddoctor.com.au//

I have never used them, but a friend did years ago for a Datsun 240Z dash that was falling apart and it came back looking fantastic.

Cheers

Dale

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 4 2015, 10:41 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(barrym @ Jul 29 2015, 11:02 AM) *

Was I guy from Australia posted on Pelican that had one,a gold car ,no pics of the interior but I expect the Poms did a good job.....what a job to do ???.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:44 PM