Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to convert
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
effutuo101
Just looked at that nasty thread about the right hand drive 914. If one where thinking about converting, what would it take?
zymurgist
money
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Dec 31 2009, 11:16 AM) *

Just looked at that nasty thread about the right hand drive 914. If one where thinking about converting, what would it take?

cut the tank in half cut the bulkhead in half cut the dash and dashpad in half get a right hand drive pedal cluster extension assembly, cut and move the emergency brake to the right longitudinal along with the cable tubes through the firewall cut and move the steering column mount along with the cut bulkhead.

Thankfully in Australia they no longer have to convert old cars to right hand drive. When I was there in 1998 for the 50th celebration of Porsche I saw at least 25 914s at the big show and all were butchered to right hand drive, and I mean BUTCHERED! Bottom line is: 914s were never manufactured to be right hand drive so DON"T TRY to convert!
effutuo101
Thank you George!
Never hurts to ask.
EdwardBlume
What ever happened to the race project where the seat was moved to the middle?
DBCooper
What would it take? A total lack of good sense. And stay clear of roundabouts, too.
Mike Bellis
Just flip the car upside down.
Cap'n Krusty
IIRC, ALL the RHD 914s were produced by an English contractor, and there are NO parts available, other than used. The Cap'n
Elliot Cannon
Well that settles that then. My car will stay left hand drive. lol-2.gif
veltror
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 1 2010, 01:51 AM) *

IIRC, ALL the RHD 914s were produced by an English contractor, and there are NO parts available, other than used. The Cap'n

The contractor was actually Crayford Engineering, there are no parts available not even used, the dash was a fibreglass thing. See previous threads on right hand drive conversions
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 31 2009, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Dec 31 2009, 11:16 AM) *

cut the tank in half cut the bulkhead in half cut the dash and dashpad in half get a right hand drive pedal cluster extension assembly, cut and move the emergency brake to the right longitudinal along with the cable tubes through the firewall cut and move the steering column mount along with the cut bulkhead.

Thankfully in Australia they no longer have to convert old cars to right hand drive. When I was there in 1998 for the 50th celebration of Porsche I saw at least 25 914s at the big show and all were butchered to right hand drive, and I mean BUTCHERED! Bottom line is: 914s were never manufactured to be right hand drive so DON"T TRY to convert!

If it is anything like the Dealers A.C. installation, not even experienced butchers I ponder..
barrym
QUOTE(veltror @ Jan 1 2010, 11:50 PM) *

The contractor was actually Crayford Engineering, there are no parts available not even used, the dash was a fibreglass thing. See previous threads on right hand drive conversions

sorry to bring up such as on thread - came across it while searing for something else ...

my 914 was converted to RHD in Australia and seems to have had a reasonably good job of it done. the dash was cut, re-enforced & glued / recovered in vinyl .. the metal backing for the dash was cut & welded and a new section of steel was bent & welded in for the pedal box area.

I bought the car as a project car and didn't come with a fuel tank but has been previously registered as RHS in Western Australia (checked with rego people & also has stickers for WA rego on it)

I just got the car back from 6 months in storage as I moved states ... i'll get my build thread back on track ...
dale73914
QUOTE(barrym @ Jul 29 2015, 09:02 AM) *

sorry to bring up such as on thread - came across it while searing for something else ...

my 914 was converted to RHD in Australia and seems to have had a reasonably good job of it done. the dash was cut, re-enforced & glued / recovered in vinyl .. the metal backing for the dash was cut & welded and a new section of steel was bent & welded in for the pedal box area.

I bought the car as a project car and didn't come with a fuel tank but has been previously registered as RHS in Western Australia (checked with rego people & also has stickers for WA rego on it)

I just got the car back from 6 months in storage as I moved states ... i'll get my build thread back on track ...

Hey Barry,

I cant remember if i have spoken to you or not.
I have a RHD one as well.
I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers

Dale

Downunderman
Barry,

Glad to hear you are back at it. Mine is stripped and I'm about to attack it with a plasma cutter and do the left to right. I have got an OBP pedal unit to put in it. http://www.obpltd.com/Pedal-Boxes/Pro-Race-V3, also going to use a Fuelsafe bladder tank in the original location after lengthening the foot well. I cant find a fibreglass dashtop though.

I have been delayed a bit lately with a certain Alfa 1750 which is now painted and going back together.

Cheers,

H
JRust
As usual you all are overthinking this. Only a 914 owner can take a $200 job & turn it into a $4000 job confused24.gif So luckily you are on 914world & have the benefit of "WWJD"

Yes that is what would Jamie do happy11.gif

Step one. Get your duck tape out. Use your right hand to wrap around your chest with your left hand under the tape.

Step 2: Drive your car. It is now only a right handed drive car blink.gif . Just be smart when you shift driving.gif
dale73914
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Aug 5 2015, 08:55 AM) *

Barry,

Glad to hear you are back at it. Mine is stripped and I'm about to attack it with a plasma cutter and do the left to right. I have got an OBP pedal unit to put in it. http://www.obpltd.com/Pedal-Boxes/Pro-Race-V3, also going to use a Fuelsafe bladder tank in the original location after lengthening the foot well. I cant find a fibreglass dashtop though.

I have been delayed a bit lately with a certain Alfa 1750 which is now painted and going back together.

Cheers,

H

Hi Howard,

Could this mob help at all ???

http://dashboarddoctor.com.au//

I have never used them, but a friend did years ago for a Datsun 240Z dash that was falling apart and it came back looking fantastic.

Cheers

Dale

porschetub
QUOTE(barrym @ Jul 29 2015, 11:02 AM) *

Was I guy from Australia posted on Pelican that had one,a gold car ,no pics of the interior but I expect the Poms did a good job.....what a job to do ???.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.