Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dellorto carbs rebuild....do I need this part?, Someone know of a good complete kit?
nsr-jamie
post Jan 5 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #1

914 guy in Japan

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

Hi, still working on the car as usual and its taking forever but has been fun most of the times... I am going to rebuild the carbs on my 914/4. They are 40mm Twin dellorto carbs I bought from Dave at Mid Engine Mania (GPR) years ago, but they are getting a bit old. I want to pull them apart, fully rebuild them and get my car running nice again.

I am having problems finding dellorto carb parts here in Japan. I have checked the CB performance site and am going to place an order next week and want to order the correct rebuild kit but am having problems deciding which I need....

Anybody want to help out?

I noticed this update kit for sale..how about this

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=522

Do I need this part? Has anyone done this conversion? Is this also a full rebuild kit too as well?

Sorry for all the questions, hope somebody can help out a bit

Cheers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jan 5 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Carbs will work without it. It is a kit to atomize the fuel better across the airflow range which leads to a better bang in the cylinder (less wasted fuel).

Not needed but does give added benefits.

It appears to be complete but no mention of new float bowl needles and seats.
+Quote Post
type2man
post Jan 5 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,127
Region Association: South East States

They are not needed BUT with this kit you update the idle jet with an improved version that eliminates crud in the jet. While it is not a complete rebuild kit, most parts are there. I can tell you this, I have installed this kit and it was a breeze and the car accelerated and ran a bit smoother than before.
+Quote Post
Gearhead1432
post Jan 6 2010, 08:17 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,304

If you need to track down odd parts I would look at CB performance, Aircooled Engineering (Utah), or Eurocarb in the UK.

-Rob
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jan 6 2010, 09:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,209

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ...do yourself a BIG favor...considering you do not apparently have a great deal of experience with rebuilding carburators, FORGET about the upgrade parts, kit. YOU DO NOT NEED IT. you will probably need to purchase additional main jets to get that system properly jetted....DELLORTO carburators are excellant carburators, and better than weber in certain ways. PURCHASE a complete rebuild kit, to include new float needle valves....ASK for a master rebuild kit.... this means a kit with ALL the rebuild parts. gaskets to needle and seat, to rubber ..O..ring seals, copper sealing rings,etc etc. keep it simple and do-able for yourself. Go online, or get from the parts supplier a diagram of the carb.(most rebuild kits will have a diagram included). remove both carburators. ONLY dissassemble, clean up, one at a time. Use the OTHER carburator as a guide, to ensure reassembly is correct. pay attention to the secondary emulision tubes and their orentation....opening faces float bowl chamber. do not overtighten the set screws in the carb body....good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Murray.
+Quote Post
Shade Tree
post Jan 6 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,860
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That kit doesn't have accelerator pumps or inlet valves. I just put it in a set of Dells. It does have a complete gasket kit. I bought 2 master rebuild kits and the update kits from CB. They shipped it fast. I was disappointed in the fact that you couldn't choose what size of jets came with the update kit.
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Jan 6 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

Jet's and the like aren't considered wear items for a carb.
+Quote Post
Shade Tree
post Jan 6 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,860
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jan 6 2010, 12:55 PM) *

Jet's and the like aren't considered wear items for a carb.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The update kit comes with new main jets. I just wanted to choose which jets I was paying for since the kit was developed for a T1 engine.
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Jan 6 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Typically mains are sized by the venturi and are the same for our Type IV's as for the Type I's. That being said, each and every engine is different in it's needs...
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Jan 6 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,189

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jan 6 2010, 07:07 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ...do yourself a BIG favor...considering you do not apparently have a great deal of experience with rebuilding carburators, FORGET about the upgrade parts, kit. YOU DO NOT NEED IT. you will probably need to purchase additional main jets to get that system properly jetted....DELLORTO carburators are excellant carburators, and better than weber in certain ways. PURCHASE a complete rebuild kit, to include new float needle valves....ASK for a master rebuild kit.... this means a kit with ALL the rebuild parts. gaskets to needle and seat, to rubber ..O..ring seals, copper sealing rings,etc etc. keep it simple and do-able for yourself. Go online, or get from the parts supplier a diagram of the carb.(most rebuild kits will have a diagram included). remove both carburators. ONLY dissassemble, clean up, one at a time. Use the OTHER carburator as a guide, to ensure reassembly is correct. pay attention to the secondary emulision tubes and their orentation....opening faces float bowl chamber. do not overtighten the set screws in the carb body....good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Murray.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
And good information Murray

+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Jan 7 2010, 07:12 AM
Post #11

Can I get this one dad??

Member No.: 7,987

QUOTE(craig downs @ Jan 6 2010, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jan 6 2010, 07:07 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
And good information Murray

I Second! I also rebuilt my Dellortos, do it right and do it completely.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jan 8 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #12

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

Dellortos ar a huge improvement over Weber, especially in teh mid to upper rpm transition. this kit works well but there is more difference fro weber to dell than dell to upgraded Dell. I think its worht the extra dough
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jan 8 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #13

914 guy in Japan

Thanks for the tips people, much appreciated!! Now, when I order these parts are they the same for all 40mm twin Dellortos? Are there different models like the Webers? I bought my Dells so long ago new (from Dave S at GPR) that I forgot what they are, all I remember is they are 40mm.

Here are some pictures

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jan 8 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #14

914 guy in Japan

Another picture here too I forgot to post...it looks bad in the engine compartment but should be much better when spring arrives hopefully and I have a bunch of parts on order too.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Jan 8 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

As long as you are ordering from CB or ACE they are all "the same" (DCNF). There are a few different varieties, but they would not be a down draft and running on your car.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jan 8 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #16

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ...well in your particular case, you should remove ONE CARBURATOR, and inspect it for size and nominclature. designation may be stamped in the body or at the base, near the mounting flanges. Measure the THROTTLE BORE, butterfly, so you know what you,ve got. BEFORE YOU ORDER PARTS. they are not DCNF. they are IDF.(design type) downdraft carburators. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) murray
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Jan 8 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Sorry... I have no idea why I said that. Shouldn't touch a computer before coffee.

DRLA is what I meant to say.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jan 8 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jan 8 2010, 11:29 AM) *

Sorry... I have no idea why I said that. Shouldn't touch a computer before coffee.

DRLA is what I meant to say.

YEP!
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Jan 9 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,189

I notice your air cleaners are short and you have velocity stacks so you need check to see if you have enough clearance between the top of the velocity stacks and the air cleaner tops you need a minimum of 34 mm.
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jan 11 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #20

914 guy in Japan

Hi, thanks...that helps a bit. I will be going with slightly taller filters so issues with clearance of the velocity stacks, they are the stock ones anyway.

I meant to ask if there are different versions of the 40mm down draft Dell carbs out there? I contaced two shops with pics and some info and am waiting for replies, CB wants 150 to ship to me (FED EX) and will not ship through the post office...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 12:31 AM