Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Value
Van
post Jan 12 2010, 06:22 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,571

As much as we hate to admit it, 914s are just the red-headed step-children of Porsche. They will *never* be as valuable as 356s or their contemporary 911s. Their styling and heritage is questionable, at best, to the non-enthusiast... and it's those non-enthusiasts that drive car prices up with "impulse" purchases.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 12 2010, 07:08 AM
Post #22

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

One thing to understand, is that as folks come into money, they buy cars they thought were cool when they were young. Barrett Jackson proves that out. BUT, eventually those people age, the demand actually goes down, the cars deteriorate. For instance; 356s were built 5-15 years before the 914, which means the people that lust after them are typically 5-15 years older than many of us. I won't ever own a 356 because they don't appeal to me, neither do Packards, DeSotos, etc.

And to the non-enthusiast, everyone I talk to about 914s, always tells me about their Uncle, Best-Friend, the guy that lived at the end of the block that used to own a 914. They may not be the Best looking car, but they are not the typical cookie-cutter car out there and people remember them.

Also I can see where a 914 could catch and pass a 1974-75 911.

T.C.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 12 2010, 07:13 AM
Post #23

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jan 11 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Eventually the design will come back in vogue and appeal to a broader audience. Right now, we’re ahead of the curve. We love the car. Once the appeal begins to come around, more people are going to want one. That’s demand.

Yeah, I suspect that there are lots of people with closets full of those wide-lapel Armani suits from thirty yeas ago, too. Patiently waiting for their time. And you remember growing up, driving in the country and seeing that oddball with like six Edsels in his yard? Hope never dies.

I think the fundamental problem with the investment logic is thinking that the general public will eventually wake up and want these cars. Why? Where you see the big jumps in value are with the cars that the now rich pre-retirement and just retired guys lusted for but couldn't afford when they were young. Thirty years ago it was 30's and 40's classics. Last 15-20 years it was '50's hot rods. That group of guys is older and finished buying toys, so with the current group it's '60s muscle cars and 356's. This isn't news, you knew that already. So in that context there's a sad note: no one ever lusted for a 914 when they were young. You lusted for the 911, you could afford the 914. Or a few years later the 924. So now that I'm older with some disposable income I'm going to finally get that 914? Sorry, but I don't believe the 914 will ever have legs like the 356 and early 911's.

You know how much it costs to buy a thrill at Disneyland? Drive your car. The thrills come much cheaper and they're real and guaranteed. Driving it is the car's real value, so stick with reality. Don't think about investment values, those are just hopes and dreams.

Oh yeah, and carbs suck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

EDIT: TC, interesting overlap, you posted as I was writing. Yeah, lots of folks remember someone who owned a 914, but they all lusted after a 356 or 911 themselves. Big difference. I doubt the 914 will ever catch the 911, but I suppose we'll eventually find out.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 12 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

One 914 that I think is REALLY under valued is the Limited Edition cars. The total made is not really known. One thing certain is that a little over 200 are left. They are rarer than the 914-6 yet they are not in the price range they should be.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brownaar
post Jan 12 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,813
Region Association: None

NADA is finally headed in the right direction.

NADA value 73 2.0
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 12 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #26

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(brownaar @ Jan 12 2010, 06:56 AM) *

NADA value 73 2.0
You know I looked at NADA value for the 914 a couple of weeks ago after our annual assesment with our insurance agent. I was pretty surprised when I found out the value placed on them currently by NADA.
+Quote Post
flipb
post Jan 12 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I bought my 914 to drive it, not as an investment. But I will say this: I think that a number of factors are going to continue to drive up the value of these cars.

For one, I think there will be an entry-level Porsche roadster announced soon. Maybe it'll even be called 914. That will drum up renewed interest in the original, and interest inevitably creates buyers.

Even something like the Matchbox 914 helps create interest in the model.

Plus, the green crowd has found the 914 to be a good candidate for EV conversions. That helps values too.

We're barely out of a recession, technically speaking - and for many, it feels like we're still in one. Spending on luxuries like a fun car will recover as the economy does.

(Contrary to what I just said... I justified the purchase of my 914 last fall, in part, because I figured it will hold value as well or better than my 401K of late!)

+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jan 12 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #28

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Bah! I think stuff like the NADA and collectors' marketing is the reason some previous owner took the 1.7 DJet out of my 73 and dropped in a 2.0 bus motor with major life sustaining issues, even after putting on a new carburetor (sacrilege to some, yes I know).

Hey, I know it's my own fault for not taking Howard up on a PBI (or anyone else out there in the Thousand Oaks area) and becoming blinded by the e*bay light, and I *do* have a great car with no rust that I only drove for a few months before ol' bus motor died ... but I still think one of the evils of car collecting is the destruction of a perfectly good car in an attempt to make it more valuable, even if real collectors are rarely fooled by this and more often the opposite occurs (a beautiful car is restored, but hardly ever driven). Only second to that is the destruction of a perfectly good car in the name of performance that falls on its face due to ignorance or arrogance, but at least those ignorance instances can be corrected with practice. Or using someone who knows what they're doing, heh.

- Nelson
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jan 12 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #29

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 12 2010, 06:12 AM) *

NADA value 73 2.0
You know I looked at NADA value for the 914 a couple of weeks ago after our annual assesment with our insurance agent. I was pretty surprised when I found out the value placed on them currently by NADA.

NADA says $12600 is low retail for a daily driver? That's just plain loopy. So I agree, Bah Hunbug (pun intended). I just used a Craigslist search program to search the entire U.S., and didn't find one four banger getting to $10,000. A hundred 914's for sale, not one with an asking price exceeding $10,000. Five sixes, no surprise, but not one four. There is one on e-Bay right now that's over $10,000 with one bid. Poor sucker probably consulted NADA and thinks it's a bargain. It is a nice car, though.

While for my own selfish reasons I appreciate having those high values for insurance valuations, I hate to think about those poor folks who will consult NADA and get all excited to think that slightly rusty $10,000 barn find is a real screaming deal. That's just plain wrong.
+Quote Post
RRietman
post Jan 12 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 11,124

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 12 2010, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 12 2010, 06:12 AM) *

NADA value 73 2.0

NADA says $12600 is low retail for a daily driver? That's just plain loopy. So I agree, Bah Hunbug (pun intended). I just used a Craigslist search program to search the entire U.S., and didn't find one four banger getting to $10,000. A hundred 914's for sale, not one with an asking price exceeding $10,000. Five sixes, no surprise, but not one four. There is one on e-Bay right now that's over $10,000 with one bid. Poor sucker probably consulted NADA and thinks it's a bargain. It is a nice car, though.

While for my own selfish reasons I appreciate having those high values for insurance valuations, I hate to think about those poor folks who will consult NADA and get all excited to think that slightly rusty $10,000 barn find is a real screaming deal. That's just plain wrong.

I just last week put insurance on my new to me 74 1.8 and asked my agent what the value of a total loss would be. she said the adjusters right now would simply go from NADA values. I looked it up and was surprised to see the #'s so high. 8-10k for a74 1.8. the car I just bought is a very nice signal orange bone stock car that I just paid $2700 for. In the same conversation I asked about coverage on my 65 356 C coupe. same deal. nada says 51-68k for a car that realistically would sell for maybe 35k. cost to have the same coverage on each car? the same.
Randy
+Quote Post
john grier
post Jan 12 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,265

Randy,
I want the name of your insurance co. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
John
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 12 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #32

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 12 2010, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jan 11 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Eventually the design will come back in vogue and appeal to a broader audience. Right now, we’re ahead of the curve. We love the car. Once the appeal begins to come around, more people are going to want one. That’s demand.

Yeah, I suspect that there are lots of people with closets full of those wide-lapel Armani suits from thirty yeas ago, too. Patiently waiting for their time. And you remember growing up, driving in the country and seeing that oddball with like six Edsels in his yard? Hope never dies.

I think the fundamental problem with the investment logic is thinking that the general public will eventually wake up and want these cars. Why? Where you see the big jumps in value are with the cars that the now rich pre-retirement and just retired guys lusted for but couldn't afford when they were young. Thirty years ago it was 30's and 40's classics. Last 15-20 years it was '50's hot rods. That group of guys is older and finished buying toys, so with the current group it's '60s muscle cars and 356's. This isn't news, you knew that already. So in that context there's a sad note: no one ever lusted for a 914 when they were young. You lusted for the 911, you could afford the 914. Or a few years later the 924. So now that I'm older with some disposable income I'm going to finally get that 914? Sorry, but I don't believe the 914 will ever have legs like the 356 and early 911's.

You know how much it costs to buy a thrill at Disneyland? Drive your car. The thrills come much cheaper and they're real and guaranteed. Driving it is the car's real value, so stick with reality. Don't think about investment values, those are just hopes and dreams.

Oh yeah, and carbs suck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

EDIT: TC, interesting overlap, you posted as I was writing. Yeah, lots of folks remember someone who owned a 914, but they all lusted after a 356 or 911 themselves. Big difference. I doubt the 914 will ever catch the 911, but I suppose we'll eventually find out.

Another thing is that 914's don't make very good daily drivers for most people. 2 seats, finicky, tiring to drive distance, won't fit a family, no a/c and melt when they get wet. Most 914 owners I know have a dd other than the 'teener. My wife's Honda minivan with 115,000 miles on it would sell for more than the average 'teener. Why? Because of the demand. I could sell it in a week end. The buyers are there. Many of the other model Porsches are driven by Doctors, Lawyers, ect. every day. How many of us would keep the 914 if it was our only car. I used mine as a dd for years but now couldn't make it work if it was my only car.
+Quote Post
RRietman
post Jan 12 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 11,124

QUOTE(john grier @ Jan 12 2010, 04:00 PM) *

Randy,
John

Farmers Insurance. If I could buy a 914 and total one every few weeks I could retire.
Randy
+Quote Post
al weidman
post Jan 15 2010, 01:30 AM
Post #34

Al Weidman

Member No.: 8,736

I know there are many like me that have feet in other worlds. There are quite a few 911 owners that are picking up 914's and are putting serious money in them to get them right, in their minds. Most are not restorations, but more towards the " Outlaw" or "R" type builds. They know the 914 is one of the best handling Porsches made and with the right mods, they are a very exciting car. They don't show up too much at the vintage car races now but at Porsche events, they are pretty much king of the autocross. I have noticed over the years that cars go through a wave, where their values will increase during the time of their demographics popularity. Only the truly unique cars in pristine condition will get the big dollars in the long haul. The 356 guys are just about at the end of their wave, ie. guys that remember when the were new and were hot at the races. When the 356's were 10 to 12 years old you could buy the average car for $1500 to $2000 bucks. I sold my perfect '73 2.0 appearance group car with factory sway bars and fog lights for $3000 in 1989. That was the low point of our wave, 13 years after new. Heck, most of the young people that see my car, don't even know what it is, but I get a thumbs up. Al.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jan 15 2010, 02:22 AM
Post #35

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Funny...I've always been an "R" type and outlaw kinda guy. Been into 914s for over 30 years. My last four rebuilds have been Concour Weenie types.

Now MY 911 hasn't been stock since the day I bought it....
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 15 2010, 08:18 AM
Post #36

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(al weidman @ Jan 15 2010, 02:30 AM) *

The 356 guys are just about at the end of their wave.

I sold my perfect '73 2.0 appearance group car with factory sway bars and fog lights for $3000 in 1989. That was the low point of our wave, 13 years after new.

Al.

2 Excellent points Al.

In 88-94, 914s were Really Cheap
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Jan 15 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #37

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(RRietman @ Jan 12 2010, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(john grier @ Jan 12 2010, 04:00 PM) *

Randy,
John

Farmers Insurance. If I could buy a 914 and total one every few weeks I could retire.
Randy

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 05:54 AM