Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Removing rocker panels
Ian Stott
post Jan 11 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

James Smith recommended removing the rocker panels to check for rust and I am finally getting around to it, the three flat tip screws on the bottom are not cooperating and I'm resisting taking the vice grips to them, any suggestions? I ordered my new tires today, decided on the Bridgestone Potenzas, they rated very high on Tirerack and fellow enthusiasts gave them a thumbs up, will let you know my impressions after the first 100 miles, which will be at least April unless we have a warm March, which is rare, do I dare say yeah to global warming!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 11 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Vice grips, channel locks, whatever works. Worst case drill them out and re-tap. They're just generic screws.

Just don't remove them with you below the rocker panel as you may be showered with road debris.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 11 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jan 11 2010, 02:23 PM) *

James Smith recommended removing the rocker panels to check for rust and I am finally getting around to it, the three flat tip screws on the bottom are not cooperating and I'm resisting taking the vice grips to them, any suggestions? I ordered my new tires today, decided on the Bridgestone Potenzas, they rated very high on Tirerack and fellow enthusiasts gave them a thumbs up, will let you know my impressions after the first 100 miles, which will be at least April unless we have a warm March, which is rare, do I dare say yeah to global warming!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

soak overnight in wd 40 then heat up and hit with an impact driver. If they do not budge they will break and you will have to drill and retap them
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 11 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

An Impact Driver is your best friend here. If it doesn't get them out, they're not coming out. Soaking with PB Blaster or a 50%-50% ATF-Acetone mix first will greatly increase your chances.
+Quote Post
warrenoliver
post Jan 11 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,199
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ian,

I had the same problem and came up with a simple solution that worked well for me - YMMV.

I jacked up both sides of the car about 15" and put it on jackstands front and rear. Then I took a big screw driver with a square or maybe a hexshank (not a round shank). I positioned my hydraulic floor jack under the screw and placed the screwdriver in the screw head. I then slowly raised the jack until I was pushing the screwdriver into the screw head with a lot of pressure. I used a crescent wrench on the square (or hex) shaft and was able to crack the screws loose. Once loose, I dropped the jack out of the way and turned them out.
I wouldn't have had to lift the car first but my screwdriver was too long to get under there with the jack.

Hope that helps - just a little bit of farmboy engineering (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Warrenoliver

+Quote Post
tod914
post Jan 11 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

flat tip socket will give should give you the leverage you need.
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Jan 12 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,407

Hey Ian, I had the same problem you had, I soaked over night with penetating oil, but still had to use vice grips on two. AA has the new instalation kit that has all new screws rubber washers and everything else you need, well worth the price. John (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
mtndawg
post Jan 12 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,985

It would be interesting to see pics when you take them off before and after you clean.
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Jan 12 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

Thanks for all the tips will take pics and post.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jan 12 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,476

Careful with the center hole. Don't go sticking anything too long up there to align the panel. You can puncture the heater duct. FYI.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 12 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #11

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with everything posted above. However, no one mentioned the posibility of the nut breaking. When I removed mine, one of the nuts broke loose. It felt like it was tack welded. Are they? I don't know. But a 1/4" rivenut was a great replacement. The only thing I need to remember is that it is SAE so I have one screw that is SAE to match.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 12 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #12

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 11 2010, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jan 11 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

soak overnight in wd 40 then heat up and hit with an impact driver. If they do not budge they will break and you will have to drill and retap them

"Soak overnight in wd 40" Why? What good could that possibly do? WD 40 is a water displacer, NOT a penetrating oil. It's NOT intended to be used as such. There are a number of fine products out there that are designed with this very job in mind ............... The Cap'n
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Jan 12 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #13

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This is your friend.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:27 PM