Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing rocker panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
James Smith recommended removing the rocker panels to check for rust and I am finally getting around to it, the three flat tip screws on the bottom are not cooperating and I'm resisting taking the vice grips to them, any suggestions? I ordered my new tires today, decided on the Bridgestone Potenzas, they rated very high on Tirerack and fellow enthusiasts gave them a thumbs up, will let you know my impressions after the first 100 miles, which will be at least April unless we have a warm March, which is rare, do I dare say yeah to global warming!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Spoke
Vice grips, channel locks, whatever works. Worst case drill them out and re-tap. They're just generic screws.

Just don't remove them with you below the rocker panel as you may be showered with road debris.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jan 11 2010, 02:23 PM) *

James Smith recommended removing the rocker panels to check for rust and I am finally getting around to it, the three flat tip screws on the bottom are not cooperating and I'm resisting taking the vice grips to them, any suggestions? I ordered my new tires today, decided on the Bridgestone Potenzas, they rated very high on Tirerack and fellow enthusiasts gave them a thumbs up, will let you know my impressions after the first 100 miles, which will be at least April unless we have a warm March, which is rare, do I dare say yeah to global warming!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

soak overnight in wd 40 then heat up and hit with an impact driver. If they do not budge they will break and you will have to drill and retap them
McMark
agree.gif

An Impact Driver is your best friend here. If it doesn't get them out, they're not coming out. Soaking with PB Blaster or a 50%-50% ATF-Acetone mix first will greatly increase your chances.
warrenoliver
Ian,

I had the same problem and came up with a simple solution that worked well for me - YMMV.

I jacked up both sides of the car about 15" and put it on jackstands front and rear. Then I took a big screw driver with a square or maybe a hexshank (not a round shank). I positioned my hydraulic floor jack under the screw and placed the screwdriver in the screw head. I then slowly raised the jack until I was pushing the screwdriver into the screw head with a lot of pressure. I used a crescent wrench on the square (or hex) shaft and was able to crack the screws loose. Once loose, I dropped the jack out of the way and turned them out.
I wouldn't have had to lift the car first but my screwdriver was too long to get under there with the jack.

Hope that helps - just a little bit of farmboy engineering sawzall-smiley.gif

Warrenoliver

tod914
flat tip socket will give should give you the leverage you need.
jeeperjohn56
Hey Ian, I had the same problem you had, I soaked over night with penetating oil, but still had to use vice grips on two. AA has the new instalation kit that has all new screws rubber washers and everything else you need, well worth the price. John driving.gif
mtndawg
It would be interesting to see pics when you take them off before and after you clean.
Ian Stott
Thanks for all the tips will take pics and post.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
windforfun
Careful with the center hole. Don't go sticking anything too long up there to align the panel. You can puncture the heater duct. FYI.
76-914
agree.gif with everything posted above. However, no one mentioned the posibility of the nut breaking. When I removed mine, one of the nuts broke loose. It felt like it was tack welded. Are they? I don't know. But a 1/4" rivenut was a great replacement. The only thing I need to remember is that it is SAE so I have one screw that is SAE to match.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 11 2010, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jan 11 2010, 02:23 PM) *

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

soak overnight in wd 40 then heat up and hit with an impact driver. If they do not budge they will break and you will have to drill and retap them

"Soak overnight in wd 40" Why? What good could that possibly do? WD 40 is a water displacer, NOT a penetrating oil. It's NOT intended to be used as such. There are a number of fine products out there that are designed with this very job in mind ............... The Cap'n
championgt1
agree.gif

This is your friend.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.