Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Legal Help for Renters, Legal Help for Renters
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Leo Imperial and Logan Apollo...my terrors.

Group: Members
Member No.: 741

I have a question for anyone who can help...

Brad and I just moved into a townhouse in Fremont and when we walked through the door Saturday afternoon I was almost knocked back out by the smell. I finally tracked it down to the master bedroom where there are a few spots on the floor where it looks like an animal pee'd. I contacted the property manager and explained this to him and he refuses to send anyone out to inspect it stating that they inspected the property the day before we moved in. I also asked him if the carpets had been cleaned because they don't look like it. Turns out he says the carpet was cleaned on March 9th. I could possibly buy the fact that the carpets could have gotten dirty again in those 11 days if tons of people were going in and viewing the property, but shouldn't the carpets have been cleaned once we were chosen as the renters? Especially if that much traffic had gone through?

Basically, at this point, the mess in the bedroom is unsanitary and should not be my responsibility to clean up or pay to have cleaned up.

I became absolutely furious with the property manager today because he was basically calling me a liar about the smell and the carpet. What are my options?

Thanks, Lyressa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 22 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Rent a shampooer or move.....
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #3

Damn...that's all you can give me? Hahaha!!!

I've pretty much resigned myself to having another cleaner come out and take care of it. But if I do that, I'll probably have them do the whole house as I've got a case of the "ICK'S" now.

If I just have the 1 room done, it'll cost me about $50 bucks or $225 for the whole thing. It might be worth it to just have the whole thing done so I don't have to worry about what else is in that carpet. YUK!!!
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Mar 22 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #4

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

Stick to your guns & make the manager fix it.

If it is dog or cat urine the smell will never come out of the existing carpet. They make some enzyme deodorizer stuff, but it has never worked for me.

I had a property last year where a small dog pissed all over the house. We remove the carpet & pad and it still smelled. Ended up removing carpet tack strip, scrubed the bare floor with Lysol and then dumped bleach on it. New carpet strip, carpet, & pad and the smell went away.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 22 2004, 09:50 PM
Post #5

For 225 you can buy a Bissel steam cleaner with a heated tank from Sears.....if and when you ever have kids or asshole forgets to wipe his feet it comes in handy.

With three kids, I just wore out the last one after five years.....new one is in the garage waiting on a hot Friday and the kids rooms are clean.....
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #6

Yummie!!! I'm going to call the carpet cleaners they used again tomorrow. He was supposed to call the manager to talk about coming back, so I'll wait to see what he says. It will probably cost me more hastle to fight it.

I don't know, I'm just in shock right now that he's not accepting responsibility.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 22 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #7

BTW...speaking of holes....ask B when the oil tank is gonna ship.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
drew365
post Mar 22 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #8

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Sounds like you might have a problem odor that couldn't be eliminated by the first cleaning, and only is noticable after the unit is closed up for a while. It's possible the landlord aired the unit out and kept the A/C on while showing it. If this is the case, it's unethical but you'd have a hard time proving it since you probably did a walk through when signing the lease and it then became your problem. If this is the case you might need a commercial cleaning company that specializes in insurance restoration work, such as fire and flood. They would be better able to eliminate the ordor than most of the cheap carpet cleaners I've run into.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 22 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #9

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You really don't have much legal recourse as a renter. Didn't they want you to sign an inspection report before moving in that would have included the "smell" in the bedroom? Otherwise they could hold you responsible when you move out if the smell returns. If it's a pet odor, you're going to have to work really hard to remove it completely.

If you stay there, you're going to have to have the carpets cleaned yourself. Otherwise, your going to have to load everything back up and move right out.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 09:56 PM
Post #10

Speaking of 'holes', huh? LOL!!!

He's eating dinner with Scott right now (cleaning out the shop in Novato....finally). If he drops by the Novato house before heading back down South, I'll tell him. He's managed to lose his phone...again....again....again....again... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I actually have a carpet clean/shampooer, but it takes forever for me to clean a carpet with it...I'm actually contemplating getting rid of it because it is more hastle than it is worth to me. I don't know, I may just try using it on that one spot this coming weekend when I'm there and then just use a major smelling deoderizer and let it sit for a while and vacuum the whole house... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 09:58 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(drew365 @ Mar 22 2004, 07:53 PM)
Sounds like you might have a problem odor that couldn't be eliminated by the first cleaning, and only is noticable after the unit is closed up for a while. It's possible the landlord aired the unit out and kept the A/C on while showing it. If this is the case, it's unethical but you'd have a hard time proving it since you probably did a walk through when signing the lease and it then became your problem. If this is the case you might need a commercial cleaning company that specializes in insurance restoration work, such as fire and flood. They would be better able to eliminate the ordor than most of the cheap carpet cleaners I've run into.

Well, actually, being the hands on person I am, I actually felt the spot and it is crusty...so it wasn't left by the first cleaning... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Actually, what I think happened is that someone brought their animal into the house when they viewed it and it just wondered around and marked the place. The problem is that the Property managers just gave the key to people and let them go on their own without accompanying them. People could have been doing all sorts of stuff in that place without anyone knowing.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 22 2004, 09:59 PM
Post #12

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Lyressa, I've got 2 options.

1. I can send Brembo out and even the peeing all over the house so it'll all smell the same and you won't notice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
2. Get a carpet shampooer. I needed one for "accidents" in the basement and it works really well. It removed the stains and the soap has a pleasant smell. It may take a couple shampoos to get it all out, but it can. I got almost the cheapest Red Devil from K-Mart ($99). It works better than my mom's more expensive model (Bissel).

I wouldn't count on the landlord.
Good Luck!
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Mar 22 2004, 09:59 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

If you can wait about two weeks, my dad can come do your carpets. He's in Taiwan right now. If you know the square footage, I can ask my mom and get you a quote.

Jen
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 22 2004, 07:55 PM)
You really don't have much legal recourse as a renter. Didn't they want you to sign an inspection report before moving in that would have included the "smell" in the bedroom? Otherwise they could hold you responsible when you move out if the smell returns. If it's a pet odor, you're going to have to work really hard to remove it completely.

If you stay there, you're going to have to have the carpets cleaned yourself. Otherwise, your going to have to load everything back up and move right out.

Well, if I move back out, they'll keep the $4K I've paid...that would suck.

Yea, I do have the move in sheet. I have to turn it in before two weeks is up. I plan on putting that in there for sure along with many other things...as Brad put it, we are not going to get stuck with anything on this place.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(seanery @ Mar 22 2004, 07:59 PM)
Lyressa, I've got 2 options.

1. I can send Brembo out and even the peeing all over the house so it'll all smell the same and you won't notice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
2. Get a carpet shampooer. I needed one for "accidents" in the basement and it works really well. It removed the stains and the soap has a pleasant smell. It may take a couple shampoos to get it all out, but it can. I got almost the cheapest Red Devil from K-Mart ($99). It works better than my mom's more expensive model (Bissel).

I wouldn't count on the landlord.
Good Luck!

Woohoo!!! He'll tear down walls... Hehehe.

Yea, I'm pretty much of the opinion you are correct in that I'll have to eat it. It just sucks...
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Jenny @ Mar 22 2004, 07:59 PM)
If you can wait about two weeks, my dad can come do your carpets. He's in Taiwan right now. If you know the square footage, I can ask my mom and get you a quote.

Jen

Yea, I can wait that long...I'm not in any real hurry. I'm actually staying in Novato through the end of this week because I need the DSL line.

I think it is approximately 1000 sq ft of carpet...13 stairs...

or if it is just the bedroom itself, it's a pretty large bedroom but I don't know what the sq footage would be on it...maybe 13X12 (156 sq ft)?

If you can get me a quote on both, that would be great... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Mar 22 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

I'll PM you..

Jen
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Mar 22 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #18

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Between when you viewed the property and took possession someone/thing soiled the carpet. It's up to the property manager to have it made right (to your satisfaction). If they won't do anything, ask them who is there superior? The property manager should have come out and inspected the property when you called. Call them back and tell them it's their responsibility to have the carpets cleaned or you will arrange to have it done and deduct the cost from your next months rent.

Is the carpet glued down or is there underpad underneath? To get rid of the smell compleatly, the carpet might have to be replaced and the pad (if any). Also if there is wood underneath it might have to be treated with aluminum paint.

Is there a rentalsman (government agency that deals with shitty landlords) there?

This is like buying a car and when you go to pick it up there is a scratch along one side and the dealer says "What scratch?. There is no scratch"
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 22 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #19

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The carpet cleaning is not going to remove the urine which has gotten into the pad under the carpet. I have rentals and I know from where I speak. You remove the carpet and the pad, clean any underlayment and then replace the pad and the carpet.
You can clean the carpet, DIY, or professional, you can use all kinds of "guaranteed to work" products. Trust me I have been there. The smell will return.
Sorry about your situation, sounds like you have a real dickhead for a PM.
CCLINLANDLORDLAND
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 22 2004, 10:24 PM
Post #20

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Can't help with the carpet but hi anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 07:44 PM