Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legal Help for Renters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Lyressa Roberts
I have a question for anyone who can help...

Brad and I just moved into a townhouse in Fremont and when we walked through the door Saturday afternoon I was almost knocked back out by the smell. I finally tracked it down to the master bedroom where there are a few spots on the floor where it looks like an animal pee'd. I contacted the property manager and explained this to him and he refuses to send anyone out to inspect it stating that they inspected the property the day before we moved in. I also asked him if the carpets had been cleaned because they don't look like it. Turns out he says the carpet was cleaned on March 9th. I could possibly buy the fact that the carpets could have gotten dirty again in those 11 days if tons of people were going in and viewing the property, but shouldn't the carpets have been cleaned once we were chosen as the renters? Especially if that much traffic had gone through?

Basically, at this point, the mess in the bedroom is unsanitary and should not be my responsibility to clean up or pay to have cleaned up.

I became absolutely furious with the property manager today because he was basically calling me a liar about the smell and the carpet. What are my options?

Thanks, Lyressa headbang.gif
Joe Bob
Rent a shampooer or move.....
Lyressa Roberts
Damn...that's all you can give me? Hahaha!!!

I've pretty much resigned myself to having another cleaner come out and take care of it. But if I do that, I'll probably have them do the whole house as I've got a case of the "ICK'S" now.

If I just have the 1 room done, it'll cost me about $50 bucks or $225 for the whole thing. It might be worth it to just have the whole thing done so I don't have to worry about what else is in that carpet. YUK!!!
MarkV
Stick to your guns & make the manager fix it.

If it is dog or cat urine the smell will never come out of the existing carpet. They make some enzyme deodorizer stuff, but it has never worked for me.

I had a property last year where a small dog pissed all over the house. We remove the carpet & pad and it still smelled. Ended up removing carpet tack strip, scrubed the bare floor with Lysol and then dumped bleach on it. New carpet strip, carpet, & pad and the smell went away.
Joe Bob
For 225 you can buy a Bissel steam cleaner with a heated tank from Sears.....if and when you ever have kids or asshole forgets to wipe his feet it comes in handy.

With three kids, I just wore out the last one after five years.....new one is in the garage waiting on a hot Friday and the kids rooms are clean.....
Lyressa Roberts
Yummie!!! I'm going to call the carpet cleaners they used again tomorrow. He was supposed to call the manager to talk about coming back, so I'll wait to see what he says. It will probably cost me more hastle to fight it.

I don't know, I'm just in shock right now that he's not accepting responsibility.
Joe Bob
BTW...speaking of holes....ask B when the oil tank is gonna ship.... laugh.gif
drew365
Sounds like you might have a problem odor that couldn't be eliminated by the first cleaning, and only is noticable after the unit is closed up for a while. It's possible the landlord aired the unit out and kept the A/C on while showing it. If this is the case, it's unethical but you'd have a hard time proving it since you probably did a walk through when signing the lease and it then became your problem. If this is the case you might need a commercial cleaning company that specializes in insurance restoration work, such as fire and flood. They would be better able to eliminate the ordor than most of the cheap carpet cleaners I've run into.
Gint
You really don't have much legal recourse as a renter. Didn't they want you to sign an inspection report before moving in that would have included the "smell" in the bedroom? Otherwise they could hold you responsible when you move out if the smell returns. If it's a pet odor, you're going to have to work really hard to remove it completely.

If you stay there, you're going to have to have the carpets cleaned yourself. Otherwise, your going to have to load everything back up and move right out.
Lyressa Roberts
Speaking of 'holes', huh? LOL!!!

He's eating dinner with Scott right now (cleaning out the shop in Novato....finally). If he drops by the Novato house before heading back down South, I'll tell him. He's managed to lose his phone...again....again....again....again... wink.gif

I actually have a carpet clean/shampooer, but it takes forever for me to clean a carpet with it...I'm actually contemplating getting rid of it because it is more hastle than it is worth to me. I don't know, I may just try using it on that one spot this coming weekend when I'm there and then just use a major smelling deoderizer and let it sit for a while and vacuum the whole house... blink.gif
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE(drew365 @ Mar 22 2004, 07:53 PM)
Sounds like you might have a problem odor that couldn't be eliminated by the first cleaning, and only is noticable after the unit is closed up for a while. It's possible the landlord aired the unit out and kept the A/C on while showing it. If this is the case, it's unethical but you'd have a hard time proving it since you probably did a walk through when signing the lease and it then became your problem. If this is the case you might need a commercial cleaning company that specializes in insurance restoration work, such as fire and flood. They would be better able to eliminate the ordor than most of the cheap carpet cleaners I've run into.

Well, actually, being the hands on person I am, I actually felt the spot and it is crusty...so it wasn't left by the first cleaning... wacko.gif

Actually, what I think happened is that someone brought their animal into the house when they viewed it and it just wondered around and marked the place. The problem is that the Property managers just gave the key to people and let them go on their own without accompanying them. People could have been doing all sorts of stuff in that place without anyone knowing.
seanery
Lyressa, I've got 2 options.

1. I can send Brembo out and even the peeing all over the house so it'll all smell the same and you won't notice wacko.gif
2. Get a carpet shampooer. I needed one for "accidents" in the basement and it works really well. It removed the stains and the soap has a pleasant smell. It may take a couple shampoos to get it all out, but it can. I got almost the cheapest Red Devil from K-Mart ($99). It works better than my mom's more expensive model (Bissel).

I wouldn't count on the landlord.
Good Luck!
Jenny
If you can wait about two weeks, my dad can come do your carpets. He's in Taiwan right now. If you know the square footage, I can ask my mom and get you a quote.

Jen
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 22 2004, 07:55 PM)
You really don't have much legal recourse as a renter. Didn't they want you to sign an inspection report before moving in that would have included the "smell" in the bedroom? Otherwise they could hold you responsible when you move out if the smell returns. If it's a pet odor, you're going to have to work really hard to remove it completely.

If you stay there, you're going to have to have the carpets cleaned yourself. Otherwise, your going to have to load everything back up and move right out.

Well, if I move back out, they'll keep the $4K I've paid...that would suck.

Yea, I do have the move in sheet. I have to turn it in before two weeks is up. I plan on putting that in there for sure along with many other things...as Brad put it, we are not going to get stuck with anything on this place.
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE(seanery @ Mar 22 2004, 07:59 PM)
Lyressa, I've got 2 options.

1. I can send Brembo out and even the peeing all over the house so it'll all smell the same and you won't notice wacko.gif
2. Get a carpet shampooer. I needed one for "accidents" in the basement and it works really well. It removed the stains and the soap has a pleasant smell. It may take a couple shampoos to get it all out, but it can. I got almost the cheapest Red Devil from K-Mart ($99). It works better than my mom's more expensive model (Bissel).

I wouldn't count on the landlord.
Good Luck!

Woohoo!!! He'll tear down walls... Hehehe.

Yea, I'm pretty much of the opinion you are correct in that I'll have to eat it. It just sucks...
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE(Jenny @ Mar 22 2004, 07:59 PM)
If you can wait about two weeks, my dad can come do your carpets. He's in Taiwan right now. If you know the square footage, I can ask my mom and get you a quote.

Jen

Yea, I can wait that long...I'm not in any real hurry. I'm actually staying in Novato through the end of this week because I need the DSL line.

I think it is approximately 1000 sq ft of carpet...13 stairs...

or if it is just the bedroom itself, it's a pretty large bedroom but I don't know what the sq footage would be on it...maybe 13X12 (156 sq ft)?

If you can get me a quote on both, that would be great... smile.gif
Jenny
I'll PM you..

Jen
GWN7
Between when you viewed the property and took possession someone/thing soiled the carpet. It's up to the property manager to have it made right (to your satisfaction). If they won't do anything, ask them who is there superior? The property manager should have come out and inspected the property when you called. Call them back and tell them it's their responsibility to have the carpets cleaned or you will arrange to have it done and deduct the cost from your next months rent.

Is the carpet glued down or is there underpad underneath? To get rid of the smell compleatly, the carpet might have to be replaced and the pad (if any). Also if there is wood underneath it might have to be treated with aluminum paint.

Is there a rentalsman (government agency that deals with shitty landlords) there?

This is like buying a car and when you go to pick it up there is a scratch along one side and the dealer says "What scratch?. There is no scratch"
boxstr
The carpet cleaning is not going to remove the urine which has gotten into the pad under the carpet. I have rentals and I know from where I speak. You remove the carpet and the pad, clean any underlayment and then replace the pad and the carpet.
You can clean the carpet, DIY, or professional, you can use all kinds of "guaranteed to work" products. Trust me I have been there. The smell will return.
Sorry about your situation, sounds like you have a real dickhead for a PM.
CCLINLANDLORDLAND
rick 918-S
Can't help with the carpet but hi anyway wavey.gif
bernbomb914
A good carpet cleaner should be able to help if he knows what he is doing. Make sure you make a list of your complaints and send it to the owners or property mgr. before you move in and send it regestered so you have a signed reciept that they recieved it. It will help when it comes time to move and you ask for your security deposit. note all the work you have preformed before you move in.

Bernie pissoff.gif
Mueller
Did you and the manager/landlord do a walk thru first to sign off any damage or issues?

I'd take it higher up in the chain of command.

When I do a walk thru with my tenants, I tend to pick out flaws or damage before they do just 'cause I don't want to have to deal with little cr@p....I also video tape the property and offer them a copy to help prevent arguments down the road.

Good luck.........
Lyressa Roberts
I actually asked the guy who his superior was and he said he was the top guy. Somehow, I doubt that, but he wouldn't budge. I definitely need to look into government regulations as I do know California has some pretty strict laws, but I haven't done it yet.
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Mar 22 2004, 08:30 PM)
A good carpet cleaner should be able to help if he knows what he is doing. Make sure you make a list of your complaints and send it to the owners or property mgr. before you move in and send it regestered so you have a signed reciept that they recieved it. It will help when it comes time to move and you ask for your security deposit. note all the work you have preformed before you move in.

Bernie pissoff.gif

Unfortunately, we've already moved in.
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 22 2004, 08:49 PM)
Did you and the manager/landlord do a walk thru first to sign off any damage or issues?

I'd take it higher up in the chain of command.

When I do a walk thru with my tenants, I tend to pick out flaws or damage before they do just 'cause I don't want to have to deal with little cr@p....I also video tape the property and offer them a copy to help prevent arguments down the road.

Good luck.........

There was no walk through with them...they just give the key to whoever wants to look and the perspective tenant goes on their own. This is why I think someone took their dog in the house and they had their way.
bernbomb914
do what you have to do to make it a home. enjoy the benefits of being closer to work and forget the rest.
life is to short

Bernie
jonwatts
Have Brad go by the property manager's office and pee on the jerks car door. Or do it yourself if you're so inclined (and talented).

Learned that one from someone on this list smile.gif
EdwardBlume
Sorry, its aweful to move in to a piss infested home. When I bought my last 914, I left the window open to get rid of "cat smell" and every cat in my neighborhood thought it was a new porto-potty. ar15.gif
Red-Beard
Sorry to hear about your situation.

There is an "implied warranty" of habitability. I do not know if an odor is enough. I don't think the laws state that a landlord must clean the carpets or paint wall before you move in. But then I don't know how bd the situation is.

When I was a Landlord in NY, I actually went out of my way to make my places very nice, so I could set the rents high enough to get the tenants I wanted. I regularly improved appliances and carpets, painted walls and the outside of the building. I had to replace carpets in one unit because it smelled like dog. Not urine, but just a dog smell.

But that was me...

I suggest you get a professional carpet cleaner to come over and look at the situation, pay extra if necessary get it documented and reccomendations. Explain to the landlord this is what you are doing. Discuss getting a credit against your next rental payment. Since he's the head honcho, he can make these decisions.

James
Red-Beard
http://rental-housing.com/rental/woh.htm
Carl
Lyressa,
Here is a web site that gives a summary of renter's rights. The Tri County Apartment Assn. that sponsors the site primarily represents property owners but they understand that renters are the customers.

http://www.tcaa.org/TCAA/Tcaa.nsf/GenericD...ts?OpenDocument

It may be worthwhile to contact them as a way of pressuring the property owner.

Carl
ArtechnikA
do what you can, do what you have to, clean it yourself and try to withhold the amount from the rent (probably covered in your rental contract.

when that's done, go buy a Sharper Image Ionic Breeze, set it on 'high' and let it live in that room. i've got one in our downstairs 'family room' and it's done a great job of knocking down the smoke smell (fireplace) that was fairly overpowering when we moved in. i've got another one upstairs in the room where the cat box lives.

IME, they work.

we've been really lucky with our property manager here, t'was a real crapshoot since we rented the place sight-unseen from across the country. we've also been screwed by evil people right in our own town, so ya just can't tell.
rhodyguy
ms. roberts, a basic/ cheapo carpet cleanning doesn't get deep enough. you might try a product called "Simple Solution", an odor specific enzyme product. took the sour milk smell out of a car when i spilled a latte. the are a few other/similar products available at petco, petsmart, etc. if it is from a previous tennent and it was a pet's favorite spot it may be into the sub-flooring. the carpet would have to be pulled back to treat it correctly, ie the pad and some of the product on the sub-floor. were the windows open when you looked at the apartment? that's a old trick for smelly apartments.

kevin
larryp
State laws vary but in general, Red-Beard is correct. You rented an apartment and it has to be fit as such. Go hire a carpet cleaner (the service, not the machine - you have an obligation to mitigate damages but you do not have to do the work yourself) and have the place cleaned as necessary. Pay for the work. Staple a copy of your receipt marked "paid" to your next rent check and deduct the amount.
Bruce Allert
Hi Lyressa, My wife & I have 3 dogs in the house and when they have accidents we use a product called Natures Miracle, an enzyme similar to what Rhodyguy (Kevin) mentioned. It worked good for old smell too. They now have a specific product for removing skunk oder. Just pour it on the spot full strength & let dry. Pour enough to get into the pad also. Worth a cheap try. Most any pet store carries it.
seanery
I've tried the regular one (non-skunk). I even bleached the floor and then cleaned it with that stuff before the carpet guys came to do the basement. I didn't want any old smells the dog felt that he needed replacing with his own mark. It seemed to work well, but it's kinda pricey for a bottle/jug of it.
rhodyguy
pricey?? i'd pay lots not to live in a house that smells like piss. sometimes those products need a few applications to do the job. i bet the urine is into the plywood subfloor. then you treat and apply kils.

kevin
Joe Bob
We had two Siamese cats that we rescued from the pound....they immediately pissed behind MY bed. I had to pull up the carpet and replace the pad and I soaked the carpet and the plywood underneath with odor begone.....

Needless to say...de cats begone too.....
Mark Henry
Document and photograph everything, find out your legal options and follow through. Tell the PM that "you would hate for this to end up in small claims court", often just the threat of legal action will get their ass in gear.

Is the carpet glued or held in with nail strips? Feel along the edge, if it's held down with nail strips you can lift the carpet and the backside will tell the tale.
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Mar 23 2004, 06:30 AM)
Hi Lyressa, My wife & I have 3 dogs in the house and when they have accidents we use a product called Natures Miracle, an enzyme similar to what Rhodyguy (Kevin) mentioned. It worked good for old smell too. They now have a specific product for removing skunk oder. Just pour it on the spot full strength & let dry. Pour enough to get into the pad also. Worth a cheap try. Most any pet store carries it.

Cool...I'll give that a try...
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 23 2004, 07:45 AM)
Document and photograph everything, find out your legal options and follow through. Tell the PM that "you would hate for this to end up in small claims court", often just the threat of legal action will get their ass in gear.

Is the carpet glued or held in with nail strips? Feel along the edge, if it's held down with nail strips you can lift the carpet and the backside will tell the tale.

I'm not sure, I'll have to do that when I go back. I'm still staying in the old place through the end of this week (I think). I'm still waiting on a call back from the carpet cleaning place that originally did the carpets to see if he could get anywhere with the PM. If not, I'm going to try to get in touch with the owner, then I'm probably going to pay an attorney to send a threat letter. If none of that works, I'm pretty much screwed and would be better off cleaning it myself, but it is the principle of the thing...if they screw me on this, what would they NOT screw me on?

I actually got into a screaming match with the PM yesterday and somewhat threatened him with legal action, he was unhappy with me at the time. He gave me a number which I thought was the carpet cleaners and I hung up on him...turns out he gave me the wrong crummy number so I had to call him back. He was nice the second time around after he had time to think about it (I guess).

The problem with this situation, as it was pointed out to me by someone else who gives legal advice, is that if I let them get away with this, then they will expect me to give in every time if something else goes wrong.

What a mess....literally...hehehe.
tdgray
As far as I know, and I am not a lawyer and do not play one on TV, the landlord is obligated to clean the carpets , paint the walls etcetera BEFORE a new tenant moves in. This is it! He is not obligated to do anything once that is done

With that being said if he did not do a pre-move-in inspection with you I am not sure how the responsibility is placed for the cleaning. I would offer to split it with him.

Oh and by the way DO NOT withhold it from the rent check....this legal manuver is only for repairs on the property that were necessary for livable conditions that the landlord either refused to perform in a timely fashion or the he OK'd the renter to perform themselves or hire the work out. Might get in big trouble and then bye -bye security deposit.

Sorry about you situation and definitly pull the pad and carpet back and treat the subfloor or you'll never get the smell out. Good Luck boldblue.gif
L8Apex
I'd goto your landlord's house and piss on his carpet. laugh.gif

Congrats on the new place! Watch for Fremont cops, they are not very nice! ar15.gif
Toast
I have been a renter all my life. I have came to the assumption that if I rent a place, that it is up to me to do minor repairs and sundries, such as carpet cleaning and fauset handles.

In most of my cases, unless the main water line busted or something major needed fixing, it would take forever to get the landlord to solve the problem if I was lucky enought to get it done at all. Most of the time, I could just get a part from the hardware store (usually under $20) and do it myself. But then again, I am just like that--id rater do it myself than deal with the hassle.
Im not saying all landlords are evil. My previous landlord of 5 years was wonderful and very cooperative.

Legaly, renters dont have to may rights uless something is violated in the signed contract or its illegal by state or county law. But then again, im not a lawyer. There is a Renters Insurance, (which I highly recomend getting!) but that only covers your belongings.

If the urine has soaked through to the capet pad, the smell will always linger. You would need to at least replace that part of the pad to remove the smell. Over time and with frequent cleaning, the smell from the carpet will diminish.

If the landlord has that type of attitude from the start, it will not change. If his cooperation or lack thereof becomes unbearable, you may want to consider relocating after the lease is up.

Good luck.
Lyressa Roberts
You guys have been great... aktion035.gif

I actually called back again today and was a little calmer and actually got him to agree to send the original carpet cleaning guy out to take a look at the spot and give him (the PM) an evaluation. That makes me feel much better that at least he's trying. Of course, the fact that I threw the comment "Health Hazard" into the conversation may have been a motivator. In any case, at least something is being done...

beer.gif
Joe Bob
Good one..... smilie_pokal.gif

Now about my oil tank...... <_<
Lyressa Roberts
Oh, crap...I actually talked to him on the phone last night and forgot about it...but then he caught me just as I walked in the door. Have you tried calling him at HPH?
TROJANMAN
shamppoing it may only make the smeel worse. the urine probably stuck inside the pad. you can buy an odor killer at any pet shop for about $5. this stuff really works. unfortunately on cold damp says, the smell will return
ss6
Lyressa, sounds like you are making some progress with the PM, but here is a little extra ammunition. I'm not an attorney, though there are plenty of them in CA looking out for your rights as a tenant:

Health and habitability are hot buttons in California tenant law. Check out the City of Fremont's comments on the topic here:

http://www.ci.fremont.ca.us/Community/Hous...nitaryHomes.htm

Assuming the city buys in, you might want to ask the PM (as a matter of "courtesy") if he would like to be present when the City Health Inspector comes over to inspect your apartment wink.gif . No landlord likes it when the local government takes an interest in his property; one never knows what else might turn up...

If your PM still refuses to play nice, you can make repairs yourself and deduct it from your rent, up to one month's worth. Check out page 33 of this document:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/c...nt_download.pdf

Also check out the section on mediation. As far as the carpet cleaning goes, get it done right, ie make them replace the carpet pad, etc, have a professional do it, don't go half-assed.

If you know the service who cleaned the carpets in your place, get a receipt showing when the carpets were cleaned. That and your lease should document the fact that there was a time period between the cleaning and your occupancy when the carpets were vulnerable to contamination. That plus any records the PM has (ask him for these to first; hopefully, a mediator would compel him to provide these) of prospective rental visits would prove the carpets were exposed to contamination. If the PM does not keep such records, then he cannot prove the apartment *wasn't* exposed to contamination. Not that mediation is a forgone conclusion, letting your PM know that you are serious enough to pursue it might motivate him to come "clean".

The PM might keep dragging his feet on this in the hopes that you'll eventually fold and go away. Insurance companies have made this tactic famous. Once he sees you are not a push-over, if he has any working neurons left, he'll do the right thing. Otherwise, you have to remain persistent, and fight the fight. Winning is the goal; losing with the knowledge you did your best is far more honorable than caving.

Best of luck!
Brad Roberts
Damn.. my wife posts and gets more responses than I get in 6 months on multiple threads...LOL

Trust me.. we will win. Lyressa is like a Pit Bull.. except with blonde hair and blue eyes.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.