Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Legal Help for Renters, Legal Help for Renters
bernbomb914
post Mar 22 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #21

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

A good carpet cleaner should be able to help if he knows what he is doing. Make sure you make a list of your complaints and send it to the owners or property mgr. before you move in and send it regestered so you have a signed reciept that they recieved it. It will help when it comes time to move and you ask for your security deposit. note all the work you have preformed before you move in.

Bernie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 22 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Did you and the manager/landlord do a walk thru first to sign off any damage or issues?

I'd take it higher up in the chain of command.

When I do a walk thru with my tenants, I tend to pick out flaws or damage before they do just 'cause I don't want to have to deal with little cr@p....I also video tape the property and offer them a copy to help prevent arguments down the road.

Good luck.........
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #23

Leo Imperial and Logan Apollo...my terrors.

Member No.: 741

I actually asked the guy who his superior was and he said he was the top guy. Somehow, I doubt that, but he wouldn't budge. I definitely need to look into government regulations as I do know California has some pretty strict laws, but I haven't done it yet.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Mar 22 2004, 08:30 PM)
A good carpet cleaner should be able to help if he knows what he is doing. Make sure you make a list of your complaints and send it to the owners or property mgr. before you move in and send it regestered so you have a signed reciept that they recieved it. It will help when it comes time to move and you ask for your security deposit. note all the work you have preformed before you move in.

Bernie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif)

Unfortunately, we've already moved in.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 22 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 22 2004, 08:49 PM)
Did you and the manager/landlord do a walk thru first to sign off any damage or issues?

I'd take it higher up in the chain of command.

When I do a walk thru with my tenants, I tend to pick out flaws or damage before they do just 'cause I don't want to have to deal with little cr@p....I also video tape the property and offer them a copy to help prevent arguments down the road.

Good luck.........

There was no walk through with them...they just give the key to whoever wants to look and the perspective tenant goes on their own. This is why I think someone took their dog in the house and they had their way.
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Mar 22 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #26

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Member No.: 36

do what you have to do to make it a home. enjoy the benefits of being closer to work and forget the rest.
life is to short

Bernie
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Mar 22 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #27

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

Have Brad go by the property manager's office and pee on the jerks car door. Or do it yourself if you're so inclined (and talented).

Learned that one from someone on this list (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 22 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #28

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Sorry, its aweful to move in to a piss infested home. When I bought my last 914, I left the window open to get rid of "cat smell" and every cat in my neighborhood thought it was a new porto-potty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Mar 22 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #29

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Member No.: 288

Sorry to hear about your situation.

There is an "implied warranty" of habitability. I do not know if an odor is enough. I don't think the laws state that a landlord must clean the carpets or paint wall before you move in. But then I don't know how bd the situation is.

When I was a Landlord in NY, I actually went out of my way to make my places very nice, so I could set the rents high enough to get the tenants I wanted. I regularly improved appliances and carpets, painted walls and the outside of the building. I had to replace carpets in one unit because it smelled like dog. Not urine, but just a dog smell.

But that was me...

I suggest you get a professional carpet cleaner to come over and look at the situation, pay extra if necessary get it documented and reccomendations. Explain to the landlord this is what you are doing. Discuss getting a credit against your next rental payment. Since he's the head honcho, he can make these decisions.

James
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Mar 22 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #30

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Member No.: 288

http://rental-housing.com/rental/woh.htm
+Quote Post
Carl
post Mar 23 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #31

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

Lyressa,
Here is a web site that gives a summary of renter's rights. The Tri County Apartment Assn. that sponsors the site primarily represents property owners but they understand that renters are the customers.

http://www.tcaa.org/TCAA/Tcaa.nsf/GenericD...ts?OpenDocument

It may be worthwhile to contact them as a way of pressuring the property owner.

Carl
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 23 2004, 05:52 AM
Post #32

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

do what you can, do what you have to, clean it yourself and try to withhold the amount from the rent (probably covered in your rental contract.

when that's done, go buy a Sharper Image Ionic Breeze, set it on 'high' and let it live in that room. i've got one in our downstairs 'family room' and it's done a great job of knocking down the smoke smell (fireplace) that was fairly overpowering when we moved in. i've got another one upstairs in the room where the cat box lives.

IME, they work.

we've been really lucky with our property manager here, t'was a real crapshoot since we rented the place sight-unseen from across the country. we've also been screwed by evil people right in our own town, so ya just can't tell.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 23 2004, 05:54 AM
Post #33

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

ms. roberts, a basic/ cheapo carpet cleanning doesn't get deep enough. you might try a product called "Simple Solution", an odor specific enzyme product. took the sour milk smell out of a car when i spilled a latte. the are a few other/similar products available at petco, petsmart, etc. if it is from a previous tennent and it was a pet's favorite spot it may be into the sub-flooring. the carpet would have to be pulled back to treat it correctly, ie the pad and some of the product on the sub-floor. were the windows open when you looked at the apartment? that's a old trick for smelly apartments.

kevin
+Quote Post
larryp
post Mar 23 2004, 07:01 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 675

State laws vary but in general, Red-Beard is correct. You rented an apartment and it has to be fit as such. Go hire a carpet cleaner (the service, not the machine - you have an obligation to mitigate damages but you do not have to do the work yourself) and have the place cleaned as necessary. Pay for the work. Staple a copy of your receipt marked "paid" to your next rent check and deduct the amount.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Mar 23 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #35

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hi Lyressa, My wife & I have 3 dogs in the house and when they have accidents we use a product called Natures Miracle, an enzyme similar to what Rhodyguy (Kevin) mentioned. It worked good for old smell too. They now have a specific product for removing skunk oder. Just pour it on the spot full strength & let dry. Pour enough to get into the pad also. Worth a cheap try. Most any pet store carries it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 23 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #36

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I've tried the regular one (non-skunk). I even bleached the floor and then cleaned it with that stuff before the carpet guys came to do the basement. I didn't want any old smells the dog felt that he needed replacing with his own mark. It seemed to work well, but it's kinda pricey for a bottle/jug of it.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 23 2004, 08:38 AM
Post #37

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

pricey?? i'd pay lots not to live in a house that smells like piss. sometimes those products need a few applications to do the job. i bet the urine is into the plywood subfloor. then you treat and apply kils.

kevin
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 23 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #38

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

We had two Siamese cats that we rescued from the pound....they immediately pissed behind MY bed. I had to pull up the carpet and replace the pad and I soaked the carpet and the plywood underneath with odor begone.....

Needless to say...de cats begone too.....
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 23 2004, 09:45 AM
Post #39

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Document and photograph everything, find out your legal options and follow through. Tell the PM that "you would hate for this to end up in small claims court", often just the threat of legal action will get their ass in gear.

Is the carpet glued or held in with nail strips? Feel along the edge, if it's held down with nail strips you can lift the carpet and the backside will tell the tale.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Mar 23 2004, 11:34 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Mar 23 2004, 06:30 AM)
Hi Lyressa, My wife & I have 3 dogs in the house and when they have accidents we use a product called Natures Miracle, an enzyme similar to what Rhodyguy (Kevin) mentioned. It worked good for old smell too. They now have a specific product for removing skunk oder. Just pour it on the spot full strength & let dry. Pour enough to get into the pad also. Worth a cheap try. Most any pet store carries it.

Cool...I'll give that a try...
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 03:15 PM