Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 916 gearbox conversion kit (915 to 914)
ArtechnikA
post Jan 4 2013, 05:26 AM
Post #101

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 3 2013, 11:19 PM) *

What the 916 adds to a 901 I do not know.

Just for those coming in late...
It doesn't do anything for a 901 - the 914 sideshift conversion already works fine.
This is a complete package for a sideshift _915_.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 4 2013, 08:05 AM
Post #102

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

yes andy, i understand the complexity and what is included. almost completely...
+Quote Post
larryM
post Jan 4 2013, 11:18 AM
Post #103

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

i was asking about doing a 915 to 916 -

I think I'll put the 915 on the shelf & stay with the 901 for now,

i might still buy the 916 kit (if it is actually a complete bolt-together, no diversions, status) for "someday" since we are likely talking about limited production here and zero availability in a year or 2 hence, similar to the velllious kit

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 4 2013, 03:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 3 2013, 11:19 PM) *

What the 916 adds to a 901 I do not know.

Just for those coming in late...
It doesn't do anything for a 901 - the 914 sideshift conversion already works fine.
This is a complete package for a sideshift _915_.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 4 2013, 11:25 AM
Post #104

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Sorry for the high jack.
A 930 does have a higher torque capacity compared to a 915, but its only a four speed and since it was never designed for the 914-6, you typically have to use a cable shifter.
The 915 is a five speed and the factory created a kit to use it in the prototype 916's that never made it into production. Martin just copied the kit and made some improvements. The 916 kit, since its designed for a 914 allows you to use a metal side shift rod similar to the standard 73-76 914-4's. It also allows you to use a stock 911 or 914-6 muffler. IMHO, I have used the 901/914 trans with a 2.4 four banger and 2.7 six and never experienced any problems. I was happy with the gearing and experience. As soon as I jumped to a 3.2 motor, the gearing just felt all wrong. First gear was too low and worthless and second was to high. The cost of changing all the gears in a 901 and switching to a 904 main shaft, just to be able to swap the second gear, did not make sense compared to just upgrading to a 915 that was designed for my motor.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
larryM
post Jan 4 2013, 11:49 AM
Post #105

emoze

Member No.: 65

Steve - excellent contribution!

you have answered the "930 question" as well

I talked to Paul Sayegh last year about his 3.6 & trans - and he re-geared the entire box - never uses 1st,, can do about 70mph in 2nd, and others also say they never use 1st with 3.0-3.2s

i have been running the 901 sideshift with 2.7 & 2.8 for 20 yrs, AX & racing too, and only have broken one 901 box so far - i think the intermediate plate gave out, but i never took i t apart to see cuz the trans's were so cheap & plentiful that there was no point in it "back when" (i only use 1st to get moving, never to accelerate)

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 4 2013, 09:25 AM) *

A 930 does have a higher torque capacity compared to a 915, but its only a four speed and since it was never designed for the 914-6, you typically have to use a cable shifter.
The 915 is a five speed and the factory created a kit to use it in the prototype 916's that never made it into production. Martin just copied the kit and made some improvements. The 916 kit, since its designed for a 914 allows you to use a metal side shift rod similar to the standard 73-76 914-4's. It also allows you to use a stock 911 or 914-6 muffler. IMHO, I have used the 901/914 trans with a 2.4 four banger and 2.7 six and never experienced any problems. I was happy with the gearing and experience. As soon as I jumped to a 3.2 motor, the gearing just felt all wrong. First gear was too low and worthless and second was to high. The cost of changing all the gears in a 901 and switching to a 904 main shaft, just to be able to swap the second gear, did not make sense compared to just upgrading to a 915 that was designed for my motor.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 4 2013, 03:45 PM
Post #106

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(larryM @ Jan 4 2013, 09:49 AM) *
I talked to Paul Sayegh last year about his 3.6 & trans - and he re-geared the entire box - never uses 1st,, can do about 70mph in 2nd

Actually, he re-geared his 915 specifically so he *could* use 1st gear. I have driven his car and his new 1st is indeed very usable!

On the other hand, on my stock 901 1st gear is completely useless with my 3.6L. That's the reason why i'm building a custom 915 box this year.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 4 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #107

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2013, 04:45 PM) *

I talked to Paul Sayegh last year about his 3.6 & trans - and he re-geared the entire box - never uses 1st,, can do about 70mph in 2nd

Actually, he re-geared his 915 specifically so he *could* use 1st gear. I have driven his car and his new 1st is indeed very usable!

On the other hand, on my stock 901 1st gear is completely useless with my 3.6L. That's the reason why i'm building a custom 915 box this year.

Oh really? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 4 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #108

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 4 2013, 02:39 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2013, 04:45 PM) *

Oh really? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Well, by *i* i really meant *you* ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jan 5 2013, 05:07 AM
Post #109

Member No.: 6,554

Hi all of you (and especially you Steve),

Steve thank you for these information. Already thought about writing something yesterday, but haven´t yet found time for it. My English is not that good that I can write it just straight away. So it takes me some good time to find all the translations to the technical words. What I read/see I can say that everything that Steve wrote is correct.
Some things that I want to reconfirm/add:
The 915 fits all /6 clutches (pulled type). What was discussed about with clutch adaption only has to be done with 901 gearboxes. So nothing that concerns the 916 builder.
The 930 does not have much to do with the 915. If there is a machining necessary if you flip ring gear it does not mean that it is so with the 915. The 915 is build that way that you can flip the ring gear without any machining. There is no machining to be done to the gearbox. It was discussed that machining to bellhousing and the main shaft has to be done. That´s not true/correct at all. The only thing that has to be done is to cut 2 threads where the support for the shift actuator has to be placed. Depending on year of gearbox it might be necessary to do a minor clearancing at the same position (air pressure grinder).

The shifter that has to be used is the Porsche 911 915 OEM shifter. Nothing more or less.
The shiftrod itsself from chassis (rear firewall) to gearbox has to be made by customer. If someone goes the route of converting a 914/4 to 914/6 nothing really exciting...

Concerning prices I have to apologize that I used the european way of wrinting the amounts. But it was already explained what it really means. Thanks for that.

If you have further questions please let me know!
I hope I find the correct words to answer them.

Thank you for your interest
Martin
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jan 5 2013, 11:46 PM
Post #110

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Jan 5 2013, 03:07 AM) *

Hi all of you (and especially you Steve),

Steve thank you for these information. Already thought about writing something yesterday, but haven´t yet found time for it. My English is not that good that I can write it just straight away. So it takes me some good time to find all the translations to the technical words. What I read/see I can say that everything that Steve wrote is correct.
Some things that I want to reconfirm/add:
The 915 fits all /6 clutches (pulled type). What was discussed about with clutch adaption only has to be done with 901 gearboxes. So nothing that concerns the 916 builder.
The 930 does not have much to do with the 915. If there is a machining necessary if you flip ring gear it does not mean that it is so with the 915. The 915 is build that way that you can flip the ring gear without any machining. There is no machining to be done to the gearbox. It was discussed that machining to bellhousing and the main shaft has to be done. That´s not true/correct at all. The only thing that has to be done is to cut 2 threads where the support for the shift actuator has to be placed. Depending on year of gearbox it might be necessary to do a minor clearancing at the same position (air pressure grinder).
The shifter that has to be used is the Porsche 911 915 OEM shifter. Nothing more or less.
The shiftrod itsself from chassis (rear firewall) to gearbox has to be made by customer. If someone goes the route of converting a 914/4 to 914/6 nothing really exciting...

Concerning prices I have to apologize that I used the european way of wrinting the amounts. But it was already explained what it really means. Thanks for that.

If you have further questions please let me know!
I hope I find the correct words to answer them.

Thank you for your interest
Martin

Hello Martin
Can you provide cost for each version at current exchange rate ?
Number of deposits necessary for price breaks ?
Beautiful job !
Rory
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jan 7 2013, 03:50 AM
Post #111

Hi Rory,

today´exchange rate is 1.30 US$ for one Euro. It´s been around that the last weeks. Last week it was 1.32, so now better again for you. My price in Euro multiplicated with 1.30 is today´s price for the kits.

Today´s prices in US$:

freight per kit is 36 Euro (46,80 US$)
price per kit reduced by 4 %, so
electronic speedo kit will be 2.610 US$
mechanical speedo kit will be 3.030 US$

for 6 kits and more
freight same as above, but for each kit discount will be 8%,
so prices will be:
el. speedo kit: 2.501 US$
mech. speedo kit: 2.905 US$

Means that mech. speedo kit for orders of 6 kits and more is about 45 $ cheaper than last week.

Deposit only in that case that I can not deliver directly. Mainly for those orders with mechanical speedo. Most other parts are in stock, or done at short notice, so that I can promise to deliver 3-4 kits directly (electronic speedo). Those kits have to be paid 100 %, for deposits I suggest a 30 % rate of the total price. When it comes to group buy orders I will inform you what I can deliver directly and which parts will have to be done first and how long that will take. Currently am short of time due to an industry-order on my CNC miling centre.

What do you mean with "number of deposits necessary for price breaks?"

Btw.: one order based on the price of at least six ordered kits came in by mail yesterday. Don´t know if the buyer wants to be named or not, but he can do it on his own if he likes to. So 5 others needed for the 8% discount.

Martin Bott
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jan 7 2013, 10:05 PM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Jan 7 2013, 01:50 AM) *

Hi Rory,

today´exchange rate is 1.30 US$ for one Euro. It´s been around that the last weeks. Last week it was 1.32, so now better again for you. My price in Euro multiplicated with 1.30 is today´s price for the kits.

Today´s prices in US$:

freight per kit is 36 Euro (46,80 US$)
price per kit reduced by 4 %, so
electronic speedo kit will be 2.610 US$
mechanical speedo kit will be 3.030 US$

for 6 kits and more
freight same as above, but for each kit discount will be 8%,
so prices will be:
el. speedo kit: 2.501 US$
mech. speedo kit: 2.905 US$

Means that mech. speedo kit for orders of 6 kits and more is about 45 $ cheaper than last week.

Deposit only in that case that I can not deliver directly. Mainly for those orders with mechanical speedo. Most other parts are in stock, or done at short notice, so that I can promise to deliver 3-4 kits directly (electronic speedo). Those kits have to be paid 100 %, for deposits I suggest a 30 % rate of the total price. When it comes to group buy orders I will inform you what I can deliver directly and which parts will have to be done first and how long that will take. Currently am short of time due to an industry-order on my CNC miling centre.

What do you mean with "number of deposits necessary for price breaks?"

Btw.: one order based on the price of at least six ordered kits came in by mail yesterday. Don´t know if the buyer wants to be named or not, but he can do it on his own if he likes to. So 5 others needed for the 8% discount.

Martin Bott

Hello Martin
I'm in at the 6 unit rate.
Is there another person "who ordered by mail" or is it possible that I'm being counted twice ? I didn't realize that I had replied on the other thread.
Do you require a deposit now or can it be provided when you've got five other interested parties ?
Just to be sure I need a mechanical speedo kit.
If you prefer we can communicate via email. rgalla9146@aol.com
Please inform me of number of orders and if you require a deposit.
Best regards
Rory Gallagher
PS I have no reason to remain anonimous.
I'll do what I can to help on the other thread.

+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jan 8 2013, 05:01 AM
Post #113

Hi Rory,

you sent me a PM and informed that you want to order. So, you´re the one who started the orders on the group buy (-:
Let´s wait some days to see what happens. We´ll stay in contact.

Martin
+Quote Post
scraperhand
post Jan 11 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 9,325

Count me in at the 6 unit rate,electric speedo, mike
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jan 17 2013, 09:51 AM
Post #115

@ scraperhand: tried to contact you by PM. Please read and reply to my mail info@bugat5speed.de. Thanks

@ all: 2 kits now ordered. Group buy open still 2 weeks. $´s become weaker again. Currency is 1,3277 : 1.

Seems Euro will get even stronger.

Martin
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 17 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #116

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

IN-- for mechanical
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jan 19 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #117

ok guys,

I have the following orders (each at price of 6 sold kits = - 8 % discount to list price):

rgalla - mech speedo kit
scraperhand - electronic speedo kit
sixnotfour - mech speedo kit

The above listed kits will definitely be at the 8 % discount, even if there will be no further orders. So please do confirm your orders by sending me mails with addresses (rgalla already did).

As I was asked in some PMs and as there were further discussions here about the price caused by currency I want to tell you the following:

I will reduce the price by a 10 % discount rate if 6 buyers will be found. Currently 0396 and Ron S. are in the waiting position. Perhaps there will be one further to order, then you all will have the 10 % discount. Upto 5 kits it will be the 8 % rate.

I can not give you more on the kit. Enginering and first production and tests were quite expensive. I can tell you that the last existing Porsche 916 kits were sold at about 10.000 Euro. My kit is the only exisiting 915 gearbox conversion kit that is very near to that was once was sold by Porsche.

So, take the chance and order now. I don´t think that currency will become much better for you in the next time. On the other hand it is so, that I really plan to increase the price in the near future.

If you want to order, please make a note here in the forum and besides send me an email with your address to: info@bugat5speed.de.

BTW: the exchange parts can be send to my friend Alex Olaverri in NJ. He will collect them and send them to me in one unit. If exchange parts can only be send after conversion you can pay a core to him and receive it back from him later when you send the stuff. At least one of the customers from the US did so in the past (have to check who that was).

Martin Bott
+Quote Post
bugat5speed
post Jan 21 2013, 04:48 AM
Post #118

I received Pa M that showed me that my offer is a little unclear I want to repeat and say it in more/other words:

originally it was my plan that I would give you a discount of 4 % on the list price if there were 3 -5 ordered 916 kits. It does not matter in general if the kits are with mechanical speedo or if they are for the electronic speedo gearbox. The total of orders gives the discount rate, not the kind of kit.
For 6 and more kits I wanted to give a discount of 8 %.

I have three orders based on the 8 % discount rate. I confirmed theses three orders with a 8 % discount although only three and not six kits ordered.

Besides I increased the discount rate to 10 % for 6 and more ordered kits (also, no matter what kind of kit it would be).

Hope that I could explain it so that everyone will understand. My English is not perfect and sometimes it´s a little difficult for me to find the right words. If not, please ask me.

Martin
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Jan 21 2013, 06:59 AM
Post #119

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

Martin,

I am IN... 1 kit.

Mechanical Speedometer. and if the German on your website is correct.

''mechanischem Tachoantrieb"
+Quote Post
scraperhand
post Jan 26 2013, 02:39 AM
Post #120

Member No.: 9,325

Count me out, goin with wevo.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:48 PM