Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 73 MY 914S Build Date Question, ...is it August or Sept 1972??
Tom_T
post Jan 19 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Okay folks,

I've owned my early-73 MY 914-2.0 (914S for Pat G. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), and I looked at the VIN label on the driver's door jamb, but the build date could either be an "8" but missing one of the "punch-dots" in the left side of the lower loop, or a "9" with an "extra dot" (& don't ask about the COA - no help there).

... so which is it ???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'm also aware of another 73 MY VIN 01102 built 9/72, & another on here VIN 01654 built 8/72 IIRC - & both are earlier VINs than mine - so did they build VINs out of date order?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

My VIN Door Jamb Label:
Attached Image

... and here's my project to restore - finally outside last Sunday before the "monsoon" hit!
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

... Lotsa work for me to do, to say the least!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 19 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Here's the Karmann Plate with L80E & the Chassis No. matches the stamp in the rear trunk floor.

Attached Image

It was the Gold or Bronze Metallic color when I bought it in Dec. 1975, then I changed it to the L96K Copper Metallic in 8/76, then to the current 930 Anthracite Grey Metallic in 5/80.

BTW - it will be going back to the original L80E Light Ivory in the Resto (not my Fav color, but OE), & retaining the OE #31 Beige interior ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

... with the Fuchs 2L Alloy Wheels, Fog Lights & Center Console/Gauges "recreated" as it was originally delivered - but at my additional cost now (they were all "mysteriously missing" when I bought it). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jan 20 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

Hey Tom, that is definetly an 8/72 build date. Look like you have a nice project on your hands, when are you going to start it?
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jan 20 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) .....well TOM, I think it,s a ..8-1972 build date......AND from what I THOUGHT I knew... all the interiors were black.?????,,,I didn,t know bague.(leather, color was available in /1973? ...and the wonderful plad inserts were not available until, 1974.....I would LIKE TO KNOW if a bague interior was available in the 1973 S ..early cars.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) murray
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #5

TMI....

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jan 20 2010, 04:54 AM) *

Hey Tom, that is definetly an 8/72 build date. Look like you have a nice project on your hands, when are you going to start it?

Jonathan, ... in short, whenever the rain stops!

Unfortunately, our 1921 house has a tiny 18'-0" x 17'-6" garage - which was fine for a couple of Model T's (see pic below), so I need to roll my 914 or the parts shell outside to work on either - whether inside or out. ... & of course, now we get an El Nino year after years of drought - just when I need to work on it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

It's beyond my skills & tool bin for the major body work, so I'll be getting quotes & researching local shops, then pick one, transport 2 914 shells & get back1 + parts to sell/trade/donate! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I can work on smaller detail parts, rust bubble repair, dis-assembly & reassembly, etc. I'd like to get a media-blast cabinet & compressor for the smaller stuff, but don't have much room in my garage for anything else, as you can see below! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Picture of "The Twins" in my Small Garage, with 914 Parts in boxes on far left:

Attached Image

... awaiting the sunny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) days! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #6

TMI....

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jan 20 2010, 04:36 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) .....well TOM, I think it,s a ..8-1972 build date......AND from what I THOUGHT I knew... all the interiors were black.?????,,,I didn,t know bague.(leather, color was available in /1973? ...and the wonderful plad inserts were not available until, 1974.....I would LIKE TO KNOW if a bague interior was available in the 1973 S ..early cars.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) murray

Thanx Murray!

Hey all - Murray confirmed to me earlier by PM that "The door jamb sticker is DATED ...8-1972...vin # you have correct.,..4732901650....and the fuchs wheels are also dated 8-72"

Mine - assuming that is an 8/72 build date on my VIN 4732901954 ....

... AND in the pic below - VIN 4732901102 was built 9/72 ...

Attached Image

So - have we now uncovered that Porsche did in fact build 914's out of VIN order, or is the above door sticker in error & should be 8/72 ??????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #7

TMI....

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jan 20 2010, 04:36 PM) *

Murray, remember mine is an early-73 914S too & that's the OE interior color. In fact, they actually offered Brown & Beige interiors from the start, and added some as time went on - esp. 75-76 MYs, as you can see at this website:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

... also go to his main website & enjoying reading all of Jeff's great 914 info there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Here are 71 & 72 MY charts which show #31 as Biege (Tan, Cinnamon, etc.):
Attached Image
Attached Image

Here are 72 & 72 MY charts which show it as #501/502 for the Beige Smooth (#502 below) & Basketweave (#501 not shown) Leatherette material (& #503 Dark Tan is my Loop Pile carpet below & cont. at next post):
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

...continued on next post ....
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #8

TMI....

...continued from last post ....

... cont. from last post ... & another from 72 MY carpet samples, but apparently my #503 Dark Tan wasn't available then:
Attached Image

& a pic of my OE #503 "Dark Tan" Loop Pile carpet (sort of a tan & brown speckled or oatmeal color) - which I think is the same in SMG Saraha Beige Steve's Cherry 73 914-2.0: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Attached Image

Here is my 1st Erroneous COA which shows #31 from the Kardex on my 914, incorrectly as "Black" (which is #11 in the charts above) & 2nd COA shows the same, but they updated it to a GA000424 & 914 2.0 after I submitted pix of the engine case # to PCNA:
Attached Image

... well, my interior pix posted previously in this post certainly do NOT look like "Black" to me, & I doubt that they do to anyone else!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Since PCNA has said that the #31 for the interior color appears on the Kardex for my 914, I presume it was just an error in "interpreting" the code number to color by their COA staff or outside servicer who did the first 2 COAs showing this error.

The preceding were the documentation which I sent to the PCNA Customer Service GM, in the hopes of getting my COA corrected, & that I hope will come back correct this time (3rd time the charm??)!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
smg914
post Jan 20 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #9

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695
Region Association: None

I believe the color carpet in the Sahara Beige car is # 402. Kind of a Silver Knit Brown.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(smg914 @ Jan 20 2010, 09:30 PM) *

I believe the color carpet in the Sahara Beige car is # 402. Kind of a Silver Knit Brown.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=204029

I see now that it does match the top one #402 here, & probably a better match for your brown upholstery! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

I don't know how common the #503 Dark Tan vs. #504 Tan above, were with the #31 interior, since the dealer color/materials selection docs which I'd posted only say it's loop pile carpet with the Appearance Group, but not which color?

I think the regula Tan would show dirt more in daily use, being a lighter color.

BTW - mine has not been vacuumed, cleaned or anything for 24+ years stored in my garage, so excuse the grime - especially in comparison to Steve's beauty!
... but Steve's is my model & goal to achieve for my resto! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #11

TMI....

Soooo......what about the build dates vs. VIN order in the question above?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Why would 47329011102 be built in 9/72,

... while the later VINs 4732901650 & 4732901954 be built the month before in 8/72 ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... Anyone?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Jan 21 2010, 02:08 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2010, 04:37 PM) *

Unfortunately, our 1921 house has a tiny 18'-0" x 17'-6" garage - which was fine for a couple of Model T's (see pic below), so I need to roll my 914 or the parts shell outside to work on either - whether inside or out. ... & of course, now we get an El Nino year after years of drought - just when I need to work on it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

It's beyond my skills & tool bin for the major body work, so I'll be getting quotes & researching local shops, then pick one, transport 2 914 shells & get back1 + parts to sell/trade/donate! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I can work on smaller detail parts, rust bubble repair, dis-assembly & reassembly, etc. I'd like to get a media-blast cabinet & compressor for the smaller stuff, but don't have much room in my garage for anything else, as you can see below! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

... awaiting the sunny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) days! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

My house 1953! also waiting for the rain.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 04:58 AM
Post #13

TMI....

QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 21 2010, 12:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2010, 04:37 PM) *

Attached Image

My house 1953! also waiting for the rain.

Man - I'm jealous - you actually have a full size 20' x 20' garage - what a difference a couple of feet each way makes!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Oh yeah, & 2 teens & a 911 too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Stay Dry!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jan 21 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) TOM requarding out of sequence chassis numbers and build dates decals......well When I reviewed the list of early 1973-S cars I think I noticed a propensity toward certain colors. SUNFLOWER yellow being the most prevelant, within the early 1973 MY...(meaning of course they were constructed in the latter part of 1972.). As a marketing tool maybe the fully loaded 1973-S cars were of a more noticable, or recoginizable, color, (sunflower yellow) and others. This could explain some of the mismatched chassis dates and build numbers, as they may have held back a batch of certain chassis with (certain colors) to construct into the 914-S. While this has been SAID to be JUST a north american marketing tool, the management /marketing at porsche surely knew everything about it....food for thought......MURRAY (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #15

TMI....

QUOTE(ME733 @ Jan 21 2010, 01:43 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) TOM requarding out of sequence chassis numbers and build dates decals......well When I reviewed the list of early 1973-S cars I think I noticed a propensity toward certain colors. SUNFLOWER yellow being the most prevelant, within the early 1973 MY...(meaning of course they were constructed in the latter part of 1972.). As a marketing tool maybe the fully loaded 1973-S cars were of a more noticable, or recoginizable, color, (sunflower yellow) and others. This could explain some of the mismatched chassis dates and build numbers, as they may have held back a batch of certain chassis with (certain colors) to construct into the 914-S. While this has been SAID to be JUST a north american marketing tool, the management /marketing at porsche surely knew everything about it....food for thought......MURRAY (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Hey Murray - sorry we sent our rain your way & more coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

What I've read/heard form several sources, was that VW-Porsche/PAG "over there" had "converted" &/or "redirected" some early 914-2.0 cars originally intended for the Euro market in the Summer/Fall of 1972 - to be sent to the USA where demand was so high for the "914S". But I'm not sure what they did about the Euro 2.0 GB motors vs. the USA/Calif spec GA 2.0 motors - maybe swapped them out??

So I doubt that they would've held any back regardless of popular colors. As to colors - well you & I can remember that that was the 70"s and the bright & wild colors like Yellows, Oranges, Reds & Greens were the "in" & "cool" thing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) So I think that they just produced a lot more of them to be a hit with the younger buyers whom they were courting with the 914s! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Unfortunately, the members' VIN listing here doesn't include the build dates, so it's not easy to check it there, although there are several others who could be "polled" among early 73 MY & low VIN's.

I don't think that colors had anything to do with the out of order VINs we're noting here, since 01102 is an Orange (Signal Orange or Phoenix Red?), yours is Sunflower Yellow IIRC, & mine is the "dull" Light Ivory! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

- which BTW I would not have picked for myself if buying new, but instead probably would've gone for either the Marathon or Alaska or Special Order Blue Metallic or 72's Adriatic Blue (73's Olympic Blue was too pale/light for me), or maybe I'd have "settled for" a Silver, Delphi Metallic Green, Ravenna or Zambezi Green, or Black "on the lot" if I had to! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #16

TMI....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
Since there's no build dates with the Members' VINs here, I've started a poll to see if we can "semi-scientifically" ascertain whether the out of order build dates was a one time quirk, one MY event, or happened more often with our beloved Teens?

Please go here & post your VIN & Built Date:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103136

I'll check my ex-racer shell's door label this weekend or next time dry weather & my "free" time coincide - it's a 74 MY 2.0 IIRC.

Thanx! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 21 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

vin numbers were never assigned in order so the last number may not be the last one made. For example by factory letter we have the last m 471 made in 1971 (415) but it is not the last serial number

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 21 2010, 04:00 PM) *

Since there's no build dates with the Members' VINs here, I've started a poll to see if we can "semi-scientifically" ascertain whether the out of order build dates was a one time quirk, one MY event, or happened more often with our beloved Teens?

I'll check my ex-racer shell's door label this weekend or next time dry weather & my "free" time coincide - it's a 74 MY 2.0 IIRC.

Tom
///////

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #18

TMI....

Interesting! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

... was that only for certain special models - such as your M471, LE's, etc. - or across all 914s in general? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If/when you get a chance George, could you please add your extensive data base of VINs & Build Dates at the linked poll in the quote below (or in my prior post)?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 21 2010, 03:07 PM) *

vin numbers were never assigned in order so the last number may not be the last one made. For example by factory letter we have the last m 471 made in 1971 (415) but it is not the last serial number

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 21 2010, 04:00 PM) *

Tom
///////

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 21 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #19

TMI....

George - is mine an 8/72 or 9/72 on the door label below.....what say you??
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 19 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Okay folks,

I've owned my early-73 MY 914-2.0 (914S for Pat G. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), and I looked at the VIN label on the driver's door jamb, but the build date could either be an "8" but missing one of the "punch-dots" in the left side of the lower loop, or a "9" with an "extra dot" (& don't ask about the COA - no help there).

... so which is it ???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'm also aware of another 73 MY VIN 01102 built 9/72, & another on here VIN 01654 built 8/72 IIRC - & both are earlier VINs than mine - so did they build VINs out of date order?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

My VIN Door Jamb Label:
Attached Image
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 21 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #20

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 21 2010, 03:00 PM) *

Since there's no build dates with the Members' VINs here

Huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:36 PM