Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rocker arm ratios, Researching my rebuild
ScottD914
post Jan 31 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,506

With all the good advice on rebuilding my 1.8L, the best was: Research, research. After selecting a crank from Demello, I turned my attention to camshafts and on the Elgin website there is an obscure reference to Rocker Ratios, but they differ from Intake to Exhaust! Who knew? I verified this with measurements and found that they are different, and what a difference it could make if they were mixed up!

My rockers measure out at a 1 : 1.32 Exhaust and a 1 : 1.39 Intake.

Thanks to all for the advise and especially the suggestion for researching everything (could've been Jake).

ScottD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jan 31 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ScottD914 @ Jan 31 2010, 11:11 AM) *

With all the good advice on rebuilding my 1.8L, the best was: Research, research. After selecting a crank from Demello, I turned my attention to camshafts and on the Elgin website there is an obscure reference to Rocker Ratios, but they differ from Intake to Exhaust! Who knew? I verified this with measurements and found that they are different, and what a difference it could make if they were mixed up!

My rockers measure out at a 1 : 1.32 Exhaust and a 1 : 1.39 Intake.

Thanks to all for the advise and especially the suggestion for researching everything (could've been Jake).

ScottD

.................I am intrested in how you determined the ratios. The method by which intake and exhaust was measured.......MM.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 31 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

Its a well known fact that the intake and exhaust rockers have different ratios..

You CANNOT mix up intake and exhaust rocker arms, this is due to the offset of the rocker in relationship to the pushrod cup and the valve adjuster.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Jan 31 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,209

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 31 2010, 12:59 PM) *

Its a well known fact that the intake and exhaust rockers have different ratios..

You CANNOT mix up intake and exhaust rocker arms, this is due to the offset of the rocker in relationship to the pushrod cup and the valve adjuster.

.................Yes...(from above)... But I,m still curious how he went about the process,and measurements that were taken/made.MM.
+Quote Post
ScottD914
post Jan 31 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #5

To determine ratio, I simply measured with my vernier calipers from center of the pivot point to the center of each side. ie valve side and push rod side. Then it's just dividing one into the other. Interesting that this critical item is not mentioned in the few rebuild books I have purchased. Those rocker assembles fall apart easily and a "newbie" like me might never know the difference until startup and the engine runs a little funny. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 31 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #6

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

It is impossible to install an intake rocker on the exhaust valve and vice versa.. They are not even close to aligning.
+Quote Post
ScottD914
post Jan 31 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #7

Good to know, thanks Jake.

ScottD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:51 PM