Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker arm ratios
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ScottD914
With all the good advice on rebuilding my 1.8L, the best was: Research, research. After selecting a crank from Demello, I turned my attention to camshafts and on the Elgin website there is an obscure reference to Rocker Ratios, but they differ from Intake to Exhaust! Who knew? I verified this with measurements and found that they are different, and what a difference it could make if they were mixed up!

My rockers measure out at a 1 : 1.32 Exhaust and a 1 : 1.39 Intake.

Thanks to all for the advise and especially the suggestion for researching everything (could've been Jake).

ScottD
ME733
QUOTE(ScottD914 @ Jan 31 2010, 11:11 AM) *

With all the good advice on rebuilding my 1.8L, the best was: Research, research. After selecting a crank from Demello, I turned my attention to camshafts and on the Elgin website there is an obscure reference to Rocker Ratios, but they differ from Intake to Exhaust! Who knew? I verified this with measurements and found that they are different, and what a difference it could make if they were mixed up!

My rockers measure out at a 1 : 1.32 Exhaust and a 1 : 1.39 Intake.

Thanks to all for the advise and especially the suggestion for researching everything (could've been Jake).

ScottD

.................I am intrested in how you determined the ratios. The method by which intake and exhaust was measured.......MM.
Jake Raby
Its a well known fact that the intake and exhaust rockers have different ratios..

You CANNOT mix up intake and exhaust rocker arms, this is due to the offset of the rocker in relationship to the pushrod cup and the valve adjuster.
ME733
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 31 2010, 12:59 PM) *

Its a well known fact that the intake and exhaust rockers have different ratios..

You CANNOT mix up intake and exhaust rocker arms, this is due to the offset of the rocker in relationship to the pushrod cup and the valve adjuster.

.................Yes...(from above)... But I,m still curious how he went about the process,and measurements that were taken/made.MM.
ScottD914
To determine ratio, I simply measured with my vernier calipers from center of the pivot point to the center of each side. ie valve side and push rod side. Then it's just dividing one into the other. Interesting that this critical item is not mentioned in the few rebuild books I have purchased. Those rocker assembles fall apart easily and a "newbie" like me might never know the difference until startup and the engine runs a little funny. confused24.gif
Jake Raby
It is impossible to install an intake rocker on the exhaust valve and vice versa.. They are not even close to aligning.
ScottD914
Good to know, thanks Jake.

ScottD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.