Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Behind the rocker covers
Ian Stott
post Feb 10 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

Well a big thank you to James Smith who told me it would be a really good idea to take the rocker covers off to inspect in behind. I found a lot of packed in dirt, it was hard like a dry sponge and boy it would have held lots of moisture and rust would have had its way. There was some surface rust,but nothing too serious, thank the Porsche Gods it was a California car, if it had of been an eastern car it would have been a real mess and costly to repair. Will try to post some pics when my daughter gets home as I have never quite mastered the technique of doing that, too bad as I do have some good pics of the car in various stages. Just got back from delivering the rocker panel covers to my body man, he will sand blast them and paint them the right colour. When the weather is nicer I'll take the teener out to him so he can sand blast the surface rust away and put a good quality primer and paint on those areas so rust won't have a chance to ruin a real nice 914, it is far from finished but it is coming along quite nicely. Having the good fortune to be parked beside James last summer gave me something to strive for, he has a exceptional 914 6 that has been a car of the month, and he was a wealth of information for me, I am sure he will be pleased to hear I'm taking his advice and doing all the things he told me I should do. What a great club we have!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 10 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Go to the hardware store and buy 1/2 diameter, 3/8 inch thick rubber washers (plumbing section)
Buy stainless screws for the bottom of the rocker that are now 3/8 of an inch longer.
Mount the rubber washer between the rocker cover and the longitudinal and use the longer screws to create a stand off so the rocker can no longer hold the dirt in place.
Now you can shoot a hose in there to frequently blow out all the dirt.

Rich
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Feb 10 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #3

My daughter is home so here is a pic!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Feb 10 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #4

Please excuse the giant picture! I'm getting it, lets try again, this time the big pile of dirt I scraped off, note the long isn't too bad.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Feb 10 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #5

That was much better! Please understand my exuberance, I have never been able to do this before. Now a picture of James Smith with his beautiful 914/6 and my 73 2.0, hint! his is the nice one.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Feb 10 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

Be careful not to puncture the heater hose above the middle mounting M6 screw hole. Don't use too long of a screw & don't go sticking a screw driver up there in an attempt to align the panel when you're installing it. Also, the respective M6 nut may not be attached very well anymore so you might want to tap it clean before use. FYI.
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Feb 10 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #7

One of my favourite pics, this is the summer of 08, I had the car for only a few weeks when the gentleman in the passenger seat came for a visit, Italian, from Brooklyn New York and now lives in New Jersey, Philly is a family friend and has been a body man/painter all his life, he had just sold a 356 with the original engine as it was taking up too much space in his shop!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Feb 10 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Good point about not using too long of a screw, will make sure it only penetrates as far as the original, adding in the thickness off the washer.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 10:07 AM