Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Behind the rocker covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Well a big thank you to James Smith who told me it would be a really good idea to take the rocker covers off to inspect in behind. I found a lot of packed in dirt, it was hard like a dry sponge and boy it would have held lots of moisture and rust would have had its way. There was some surface rust,but nothing too serious, thank the Porsche Gods it was a California car, if it had of been an eastern car it would have been a real mess and costly to repair. Will try to post some pics when my daughter gets home as I have never quite mastered the technique of doing that, too bad as I do have some good pics of the car in various stages. Just got back from delivering the rocker panel covers to my body man, he will sand blast them and paint them the right colour. When the weather is nicer I'll take the teener out to him so he can sand blast the surface rust away and put a good quality primer and paint on those areas so rust won't have a chance to ruin a real nice 914, it is far from finished but it is coming along quite nicely. Having the good fortune to be parked beside James last summer gave me something to strive for, he has a exceptional 914 6 that has been a car of the month, and he was a wealth of information for me, I am sure he will be pleased to hear I'm taking his advice and doing all the things he told me I should do. What a great club we have!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
r_towle
Go to the hardware store and buy 1/2 diameter, 3/8 inch thick rubber washers (plumbing section)
Buy stainless screws for the bottom of the rocker that are now 3/8 of an inch longer.
Mount the rubber washer between the rocker cover and the longitudinal and use the longer screws to create a stand off so the rocker can no longer hold the dirt in place.
Now you can shoot a hose in there to frequently blow out all the dirt.

Rich
Ian Stott
My daughter is home so here is a pic!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Click to view attachment
Ian Stott
Please excuse the giant picture! I'm getting it, lets try again, this time the big pile of dirt I scraped off, note the long isn't too bad.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Ian Stott
That was much better! Please understand my exuberance, I have never been able to do this before. Now a picture of James Smith with his beautiful 914/6 and my 73 2.0, hint! his is the nice one.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
windforfun
Be careful not to puncture the heater hose above the middle mounting M6 screw hole. Don't use too long of a screw & don't go sticking a screw driver up there in an attempt to align the panel when you're installing it. Also, the respective M6 nut may not be attached very well anymore so you might want to tap it clean before use. FYI.
Ian Stott
One of my favourite pics, this is the summer of 08, I had the car for only a few weeks when the gentleman in the passenger seat came for a visit, Italian, from Brooklyn New York and now lives in New Jersey, Philly is a family friend and has been a body man/painter all his life, he had just sold a 356 with the original engine as it was taking up too much space in his shop!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Ian Stott
Good point about not using too long of a screw, will make sure it only penetrates as far as the original, adding in the thickness off the washer.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.