Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Re-welding the windshield frame, what gauge steel is the body?
bcaschera
post Feb 10 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,873
Region Association: None

So... I am going to attempt to re-attach the windshield frame on my teener. The welder i currently have at my disposal is a flux stick welder and im afraid that this thing will just burn holes right through the factory steel. I know that mig is better but this is available to me and it is already a hack job so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) to get me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . Any input on this subject will help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
charliew
post Feb 10 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Eastwood sells a "stitch welder" for ac welders. It turns the amperage on and off at short intervals and works as good as a ac welder can on thin sheetmetal. I've had one for 20 years and use to use it a lot but have gone on to mig and tig. Most parts of the body are about 17 ga. Someone thats cut the windshield will need to chime in though.
+Quote Post
bcaschera
post Feb 10 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #3

i could be wrong but i believe that the w/s frame is a little thicker than the rest of the body panels. So i should be ok with the flux weld... sloppy but sufficient.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 10 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

If it's cut off why can't you see the thickness?
+Quote Post
bcaschera
post Feb 10 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #5

it was initially cut with a grinder so i am afraid it looks significantly thicker that it actually IS...

see what i mean? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 10 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

A little careful work with a file will take off the edge.

Good luck with the stick welder. Yer gonna have fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 10 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(bcaschera @ Feb 10 2010, 02:16 PM) *

So... I am going to attempt to re-attach the windshield frame on my teener. The welder i currently have at my disposal is a flux stick welder and im afraid that this thing will just burn holes right through the factory steel. I know that mig is better but this is available to me and it is already a hack job so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) to get me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . Any input on this subject will help.

Congrats on bringing your 914 back to its original configuration. I would suggest of course like everyone else that you use a wire feed welder and before you weld it back together that you take some careful measurements and actually then tack the frame and place a top and a windshield in to check the fit.
Secondly I would weld some reinforcement steel inside the frame as just welding it back together will not make it as strong as it once was now that it is cut in half.
Years ago we repaired quite a few rolled 914s and if the reinforcements are not welded in the frame sturucture is weak and unsafe.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 10 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

stick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) = (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) =where did my metal go.
+Quote Post
bcaschera
post Feb 10 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 10 2010, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(bcaschera @ Feb 10 2010, 02:16 PM) *

Congrats on bringing your 914 back to its original configuration. I would suggest of course like everyone else that you use a wire feed welder and before you weld it back together that you take some careful measurements and actually then tack the frame and place a top and a windshield in to check the fit.
Secondly I would weld some reinforcement steel inside the frame as just welding it back together will not make it as strong as it once was now that it is cut in half.
Years ago we repaired quite a few rolled 914s and if the reinforcements are not welded in the frame sturucture is weak and unsafe.

About the top... there is a targa top but no targa bar, soo.... i dont think that it will be exactly "back to original". But good enough for gov'ment work, ya know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Attached Image
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 10 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #10

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Don't........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

get a mig setup.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 10 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Here's a crude sketch. Sorry I can't even draw stick people.

Sleeve the body section of the post. Slide the upper section over the sleeve and you have a back up strip to weld to.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bcaschera
post Feb 10 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #12

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) rather than a butt weld right? I was even thinking of cutting a hole with a hole saw to weld the interior of it as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Is this excessive or just a bad idea??
+Quote Post
bcaschera
post Feb 10 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 10 2010, 04:13 PM) *

Because it is too high amperage or because its sloppy? Extrapolate please.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 10 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #14

rust free you say ?

Do yourself a huge favor. Borrow the welder, find some scrap 20 gauge and try welding it BEFORE you attack the car with it. Then go find a mig setup to borrow. If you still want to try it then do like Rick illustrated. Plug weld the sleeve. Trying to butt weld with a stick welder will most likely end in disaster.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 10 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(bcaschera @ Feb 10 2010, 04:23 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) rather than a butt weld right? I was even thinking of cutting a hole with a hole saw to weld the interior of it as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Is this excessive or just a bad idea??

The sleeve will be stronger the the original section of the post. I would use 18 GA. Form it to fit tightly in the post and plug weld the lower section.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 10 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #16

rust free you say ?

[quote name='bcaschera' date='Feb 10 2010, 04:25 PM' post='1272308']
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 10 2010, 04:13 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Don't........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

get a mig setup.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Because it requires higher amps therefore it burns hotter, ( warping and burning through ) it is harder to deal with, it is more awkward to do. I am a certified welder and wouldn't ever consider sticking any sheet metal. It's just not a good idea.
+Quote Post
bcaschera
post Feb 10 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #17

Good to know that was my original concern. Maybe my friends father-in-law will let me use his TIG.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 10 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

[quote name='scotty b' date='Feb 10 2010, 04:28 PM' post='1272312']
[quote name='bcaschera' date='Feb 10 2010, 04:25 PM' post='1272308']
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 10 2010, 04:13 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

get a mig setup.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Because it requires higher amps therefore it burns hotter, ( warping and burning through ) it is harder to deal with, it is more awkward to do. I am a certified welder and wouldn't ever consider sticking any sheet metal. It's just not a good idea.
[/quote]

I've done it. It sux ass. There was a time when we didn't have mig welders in the shop. Yes I'm that old... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/howard.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Feb 10 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #19

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I agree with Scottyb - no to the stick.

That's how I learned, and it's great for thick parts, but REALLY sucks on 914 sheet metal.

It will blow big holes through that metal in a heartbeat unless it is backed up with a chill plate. Because the frame is a tube, you can't get the chill plate in there.

Use George's suggestions for adding reinforcement and the cut the frame to fit with a real windshield in place. Then remove the windshield, hold the frame in place and tack that sucker in place with the stick. A tack weld or two on each side should suffice.

Then stop.

Take it to somebody with a MIG or TIG setup so you won't have to do this over and over and....
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 10 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

[/quote]

A. But good enough for gov'ment work, ya know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Attached Image
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
[/quote]

Hey, I work for the gubment. Let me tell ya, that statement does NOT hold water. Close enough would be .00001 or less of an inch! Bunch o anal propeller heads I tell ya.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:52 PM