Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WCR Event Ideas
biosurfer1
post Feb 10 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Teener fo Life!

Group: Members
Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

Thought we should start throwing around ideas for events at WCR...a meet and greet thursday night is a given, as is a couple drives but maybe we could discuss other event possibilities.

I had a thought of maybe some sort of tech sessions from our resident experts? I know we would be limited but maybe we could put our heads together of common repairs/upgrades that someone could do a step by step of what is involved? Maybe a brake caliper break down and assemble?

Any other ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 11 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Tech sessions would be good. I'm sure we could source a couple folding tables to 'present' on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Thursday: Arrive-Meet-N-Greet
Friday: Drive (gotta think about group pictures on the drive or at the hotel). Parking lot games?
Saturday: Show-N-Shine then optional Tech Sessions or Another Small Drive. Awards dinner (pizza place?)
Sunday:
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 11 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I notice and Michael Nagy mentioned that the hotel has a comedy club. Some interest has been expressed in going to the comedy club. We should consider this and see if we can get a group in. Maybe not so much at a discounted rate but at least a group reservation.

Thursday night reception should include a beer and brat party on the roof of the parking ramp. Just FYI, I still have a boat load of paper plates and plastic spoons from the Beer and Brat Party I did for PCA a few years back. Basically, we need brats and buns, potato salad, chips, beer. Oh, and if I am cooking - barf bags (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Feb 11 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #4

Teener fo Life!

I will be in Tahoe this weekend...is there anything we need to check out physically that I could do?

I will try and scope out a place or two for the "formal" dinner to see if we can nail that down. We should also have a trivia championship at the dinner.

Where the heck is Randy?! Didn't he give us crap for not responding quick enough in another thread?!?!:)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 12 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #5

Apex killer!

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 11 2010, 08:02 PM) *

I will be in Tahoe this weekend...is there anything we need to check out physically that I could do?

I will try and scope out a place or two for the "formal" dinner to see if we can nail that down. We should also have a trivia championship at the dinner.

Where the heck is Randy?! Didn't he give us crap for not responding quick enough in another thread?!?!:)

Randy had a little car disaster and is dealing with that and life I am sure... Check the comedy club in the hotel and see what size group we can fit. Check with the desk that arranges outings. See what else we can offer and maybe get web address so people can arrange their own entertainment off the clock so to speak. That zip line at Heavenly looks cool. Find out what that costs. Have fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Feb 12 2010, 01:18 AM
Post #6

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

I'm here! I responded to the main thread yesterday and it's only been a day since the start of this this thread. Doing what I can! Actually starting to look for a new job too. That combined with a garage full of broken 914s is keeping me busy at the moment.

Friday - long drive.
Sat - shorter drive. I think it would be good to at least go partially up the west side of the lake, get the classic emerald bay views, etc. There's actually a Swiss-German restaurant up that way. Ah, here it is:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/swiss-lakewood-res...-lodge-homewood

Actually, maybe the drive on Friday could end here. What do you guys think?

There are gondola rides up to the top of the ridge right from the stateline area of tahoe (pricey, but highly recommended. We did it, loved it). Then there's the zip lines. Wow! Golf, though that would be hard to make a group event.

How long of a drive is too long for Friday? I can get a little carried away, and I know some people will have just showed up that morning. I've gone to some events where the drives are just an hour (BLAH) while I'm into the three+ hour long drives. That's just me though.

Ok, that's my crazy brain storm for the evening.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Feb 17 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Teener fo Life!

Well it's too bad the event wasn't this past weekend because it was beautiful in Tahoe. No wind, blue skies and upwards of 50.

Anyways, I had a chance take a look at some of the options we discussed while I was there.

The Gondola is $30/person and they did not have any group discounts that I could find. The zip line is also $30 and they do have group discounts depending on the size of the group, however you have to get up there to ride, so Gondola+Zip Line=~$60/person.

The Improv Comedy Club at Harvey's seems to be very hit or miss if they have anything going on. The calender of events didn't go out far enough to check and the only thing listed on their website is Louie Anderson ($30) on the 15th, but thats at the South Shore Room. The girl working box office had no clue about group rates and of course, no manager was there at the time.

None of the other places have comedy clubs but they could have an event or show, depending on their calender. Seems like we need to get closer to the event to see what they will have for us to do.

I think if we get a hard head count of people attending, it might be easier. I'll try to make a post when I get home since it's hard to weed through the posts in the main thread on who's going and how many.

I did happen across a sad 914 while there. It's in a lot right where 89/50 meet up, looks to be a multiple colors and covered in snow. Didn't have a chance to get VIN info but I'm sure it will still be there when we go, a friend said it has been there for years!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 18 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #8

Apex killer!

Great recon Brett! I think it would be a good idea to get the principals together this weekend at the SPFR. We need to get some details ironed out and divide some key duties.

Louie Anderson is a Minnesota comic that I have seen before. He basically just does growing up fat jokes.

+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Feb 18 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #9

Teener fo Life!

FYI, I probably wont be at the reunion until 11ish and plan on heading out to Autorama afterwards
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 18 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #10

Apex killer!

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 18 2010, 09:56 AM) *

FYI, I probably wont be at the reunion until 11ish and plan on heading out to Autorama afterwards

Mark will be there, Randy will not. I haven't heard from Jim recently but he sometimes goes underground when they have a release at work.

Bring Justin, I need to talk to him about flares.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Feb 18 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #11

Sonoma County Gear Head

Yeah, sorry! The plan was to go, but my brother is having his third-level black belt promotion that day and it's become big family event.

Any chance we can all meet in Sonoma or Napa sometime soon? Over beer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 19 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #12

Apex killer!

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Feb 18 2010, 12:45 PM) *

Yeah, sorry! The plan was to go, but my brother is having his third-level black belt promotion that day and it's become big family event.

Any chance we can all meet in Sonoma or Napa sometime soon? Over beer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have an idea Randy... I am hoping some decisions can be made and we can go forward with opening up registration and such. Can we text you? How are your thumbs?
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Feb 19 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #13

Sonoma County Gear Head

Yeah, by all means txt and/or call me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Thanks!! 707.529.7860
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 19 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Got it. My subscription to this thread is hit or miss. Not sure when you posted this but I got no notice...
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 19 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

I'll give you one clue... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 19 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Here's a something we should be able to nail down...Should we 'hold off' on activities early on Friday because we may have a fair number of people arriving that day?

On to more confusing aspects...

I'm 'feelin' this schedule right now:

T - Arrive & Drink Beer
F - AM Quick Drive, Afternoon Tech Chats & Car Judging
S - Big Drive, BBQ & Awards (no sit down dinner)
Su - Go home

Tech Chats I'm Thinking:
Me - Talk about welding & rust repair.
Eric Shea? - Talk about brake options/choices/what & when & why.
Dr. Evil - Talk about transmissions.
Andy - Talk about/demonstrator alignment by stings.

This will give time for people to do 'other stuff' on their own in they want. It's a simple outline style event where we only have a few things to do, but that helps it feel more relaxed, and not so crammed full.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 20 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

So today we talked to a BBQ caterer and got a quote/estimate of $8 per person for Sat night BBQ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

We also had a consensus that $50 per person and $30 for 'guests' would cover our expenses and give us some money for incidentals.

We will do shirts as pre-order and will offer std. 914World sweatshirts at the same time.

Brett is confirming with the hotel that we can have a private area on top of the parking garage, and make sure it's okay we BBQ up there. I suggested that if they say no for some reason, we should offer them some cash to let us do it.

I think the 'schedule' I posted above was pretty agreeable to everyone.

I think that was everything we talked about today.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 20 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I probably have enough 'scrap' engine parts that I could build a motor in the parking lot. Not a motor to actually put in a car, but just a demo motor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 20 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #19

Apex killer!

I concur with Mark's run down of the day's discussions. If everyone else does as well, I suggest we decide on how we want to collect funds and open registration.

The BBQ dude is willing to set up on the roof and act as a vendor on the days and evenings he is not catering, ie: Friday lunch and dinner, Saturday lunch. This provides a cheap alternative to people who don't want to eat in the restaurants in the hotels.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 21 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #20

Apex killer!

Today's effort.

I contacted the following vendors

PMB Performance
EvilWerks
Engman Parts
JWest Engineering
Bruce Stone
Weidman Wheels

I asked the following people to do tech sessions

Eric Shea Brakes
Mike Lesniak Transmissions
Al or Harvey Weidman Wheels
Mark or Jake engine build

I had an idea about Type IV engine building. Mark mentioned building an engine as a tech session. What if - I have a kit coming for a NA Type IV of about 2.4 Liters in displacement. How about giving Jake a round trip Southworst Airlines ticket and a room? Mark is good and that could be considered an Original Customs sponsorship but Jake is a bigger draw and a more colorful character.

I envision a half day of tech sessions run all at the same time or split them half a day for two and the other half for two. Attendance is optional...

Someone needs to contact other sponsors. I think others might know Pelican, Performance, Morphenspectra, etc. better than I do.

Rob
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:58 AM