Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My car is for sale 1/2 price!, What the DMV says it is worth without a bill of sale.
hot_shoe914
post Feb 15 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #1

on ramp passer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

So I go down to the DMV today to renew the tags on my truck and to get antique tags for one of my '73 teeners. I bought the car 3 years ago and shipped it in from Bakersfield. Bought it sight unseen and unfortunately the seller was less than 100% honest. Motor was so weak when I got it after about 2 weeks I pulled the engine and it has sat in storage ever since. Now that I have it running I want tags. No longer having a Bill of Sale the lady didn't agree with what I told her I paid for the car. After looking it up in the DMV Mystery Guide for Screwing the Taxpayer, she proceeds to tell me that the car is worth 12,600.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) and that is the amount I would have to pay taxes on unless I get an appraisal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Therefore now knowing what my car is worth I feel compelled to offer it for sale to my fellow teener lovers for half price. First 6300.00 takes it and I will deliver for gas money! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
nykthebartender
post Feb 15 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,058
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Craziness.

Do you know what kind of spoiler that is on the front? Or, was it just there when you got it?
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Feb 15 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #3

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(nykthebartender @ Feb 15 2010, 07:09 PM) *

Craziness.

Do you know what kind of spoiler that is on the front? Or, was it just there when you got it?

It was there when I bought the car.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 15 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

That sucks. DMV here never even wanted to see the bill of sale. I could have told them 50 bucks and it would have been ok.
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Feb 15 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

CA. DMV took my bill of sale at $800 as value..
+Quote Post
messix
post Feb 15 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #6

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

contact George at Auto Atlanta or Craig at camp 914 maybe if you e-mail them some detailed photos they can give you an appraisal that your state will take.
my guess would be about 3500 from that picture.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Feb 15 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #7

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

The custom paint job and after market wheels bump up the worth a little, too. And it's one of those ultra-rare models that's not on jackstands.

It HAS to be worth 12,600. Half price is a good deal.
+Quote Post
johnnie5
post Feb 15 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #8

914 lover

Member No.: 9,644
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(nykthebartender @ Feb 15 2010, 05:09 PM) *

Craziness.

Maybe factory, maybe aftermarket... LE front valance (spoiler, airdam).

Link to one of our members who sells an aftermarket version (a damn nice one at that)...

http://www.914ap.com/products.php

Sorry for the Hi-Jack.... carry on!
+Quote Post
ChicagoPete
post Feb 15 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,427

I'll be happy to write you a Bill of Sale, I'll even back date it for you! How much did you want to pay for it? I'll write it for any price you want!

I used to do that all the time here in Illinois. They finally learned that cars of a certain age should only pay a fixed amount in taxes, something like $300. Then they finally caught on that cars exchanging hands from family members pay an even lower fixed tax. Of course, everyone is going to lie about a transaction between relatives. Duh.

Peter
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Feb 15 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 9,090

Here in Wa. They didn't beleive me on the bill of sale price either $2600. The lady at the Dept of licencing handed me a book ( antique and collector cars) Then told me to pick the condition of the car, Needs paint, engine not running, lots of clean up work (see pict). So I gave it a 2.5 out of 6. She then looked up the value of a 2.5rated 76 914, she came up with $2800.00 So sounded fair, I paid my $280.00 or so taxes, an on my way.
I would try another person at the DMV, from what I found with the government folks, some are sharper than others, I figure a week ago most of them were driving a cab.
For all you know they looked up a '73 911.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Forgot to add, I just had my insurance agent write me one of those "Agreed value" policies. we agreed on $18.5K. More than one way to skin a cat. He is a PCA member that helps
So 1/2 price is is a good deal if you can get it........
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Feb 15 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #11

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

In Tx we can go to anyone with a car dealers license for an valuation on a title. Lots of mechanics have that license. It might be the same in TN?

+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Feb 15 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #12

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

In Tx we can go to anyone with a car dealers license for an valuation on a title. Lots of mechanics have that license. It might be the same in TN?

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 15 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #13

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I effin hate the DMV. They pull that crap here too!
Listen, When you go to the furniture store and purchase a sofa on sale do you pay tax on the retail value of the item?
I don't believe how the DVM managed to skirt the law and charge taxes on a number set by a book of averages across the USA and Canada.
I had that issue when I went in to transfer my 914 15+ years ago. I transfered the car and argued with the counter person and paid the tax base on the purchase price.
$ 1500.00. I wasn't trying to BS them with a $ 200.00 price or something. When it can time to renew my tabs I received a letter stating there was a problem with my title. I called the pin head and he told me based on their research I did not pay enough taxes! So I said... so there isn't really a problem with my title there's a problem with the amount of money your attempting to extort from me. I gave him the furniture example and told him he had two choices. Either accept the fact that I may have gotten a good deal on my car and was paying the correct tax or send me a bill for what he felt I sould pay. I told him if I received a bill the first call I would make is the the attorney general. I advised him that he just made a radio commercial stating beware of unscrupuless induviduals attempting to extort money from you. I never received the bill. I hate that crap!

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 16 2010, 01:14 AM
Post #14

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Since when has DMV charged what a car is worth vs what is on the bill of sale?

They are supposed to charge you taxes based on the purchase price. If I found someone willing to sell me 59 corvette needing paint for $500 and purchased said car for that much, they are supposed to charge taxes based on THAT, not "oh hey Barret Jackson sold a 59 corvette for $126k, so thats what your car is worth".

I have never had a problem with the DMV with my bill of sale's. Most of the time they are fairly low.

As of recent between my friend and I.

98 Audi a4 $4600
62 Ford F100 $50
92 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 $1200
82 Honda Prelude $100
94 Honda Del Sol $200
86 Toyota AE86 $100

Every one of those vechicles had clean titles and were purchased for said money. Yes we got killer deals, Yes all of the cars needed a little work.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 16 2010, 02:07 AM
Post #15

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

CA DMV is easy on the purchase price thing. That is not everywhere. In PA they are good so far as I remember. I will find out tomorrow when I take care of the bus and the 914. I think because they were both gotten out of state that I will not have to pay taxes here.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 16 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #16

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I registered my six here in CA at the local 3 A's office which has a small DMV window inside. The only hitch I ran into was the car came with personalized license plates which I did not want but since they were issued to the previous owner, I did not have the authority to do anything with them. I had to mail him a form for him to release interest in the plates and when I received that form back from him three days later I was able to turn the plates in, register my car and receive my new license plates, which are now on the car, with my new registration in the glove box.

They asked me about a smog certificate and I said it is smog exempt because it is a 1971 and they never said another word about smog. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I was very happy with the outcome and that I did not have to go to the regular DMV office and wait in line with the masses. I strongly urge anyone who is a 3 A's member to use that option for DMV issues.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Feb 16 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #17

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

DMV clerks are like a box of chocolates...
AAA will advise you BEFORE they make a DMV computer entry
if you get the wrong DMV clerk and they make an erroneous entry about your car, you will have to fight their error as if it were fact of record, ouch.
DMV clerks may become jaded from dealing with stupid customers all day long
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Feb 16 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #18

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

...perhaps he was trying to register a 914 in TN

I've been to hell. I spell it...I spell it DMV
Anyone that's been there knows precisely what I mean
Stood there and I've waited and choked back the urge to scream
And if I had my druthers I'd screw a chimpanzee-call it pointless

When I need relief I spell it THC
Perhaps you may know vaguely what I mean
I sit back and smoke away huge chunks of memory
As I slowly inflict upon myself a full lobotomy-call it pointless

Barbecues, tea kettles, gobs of axle grease
There comes a time for every man to sail the seas of cheese
Now, life's a bowl of bagel dogs, but there are unpleasantries
Cold toilet seats, dentist chairs and trips to DMV-call it pointless

I've been to hell. I spell it...I spell it DMV
Anyone that's been there knows precisely what I mean
I've stood in line and waited near an hour and fifteen
And if I had my druthers I'd screw that chimpanzee-call it pointless
+Quote Post
flippa
post Feb 16 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

They do the same thing in Taxachusetts.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

I got jacked by the Massholes at the DMV when I got the title for a 1970 914. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=77706&hl=
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Feb 16 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #20

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032

Not only that, but you pay sales tax based on where you bought the sofa... with a car, you pay sales tax based on where you live. If you move to another state and try to register your car, many states with higher sales taxes will charge you the difference between where you bought the car, and where you moved to.

My ex moved from Oregon (0%) to Louisiana (8%) and had to pay the full sales tax based on KBB to register her car.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 15 2010, 09:05 PM) *

I effin hate the DMV. They pull that crap here too!
Listen, When you go to the furniture store and purchase a sofa on sale do you pay tax on the retail value of the item?
I don't believe how the DVM managed to skirt the law and charge taxes on a number set by a book of averages across the USA and Canada.
I had that issue when I went in to transfer my 914 15+ years ago. I transfered the car and argued with the counter person and paid the tax base on the purchase price.
$ 1500.00. I wasn't trying to BS them with a $ 200.00 price or something. When it can time to renew my tabs I received a letter stating there was a problem with my title. I called the pin head and he told me based on their research I did not pay enough taxes! So I said... so there isn't really a problem with my title there's a problem with the amount of money your attempting to extort from me. I gave him the furniture example and told him he had two choices. Either accept the fact that I may have gotten a good deal on my car and was paying the correct tax or send me a bill for what he felt I sould pay. I told him if I received a bill the first call I would make is the the attorney general. I advised him that he just made a radio commercial stating beware of unscrupuless induviduals attempting to extort money from you. I never received the bill. I hate that crap!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:41 PM