Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car is for sale 1/2 price!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hot_shoe914
So I go down to the DMV today to renew the tags on my truck and to get antique tags for one of my '73 teeners. I bought the car 3 years ago and shipped it in from Bakersfield. Bought it sight unseen and unfortunately the seller was less than 100% honest. Motor was so weak when I got it after about 2 weeks I pulled the engine and it has sat in storage ever since. Now that I have it running I want tags. No longer having a Bill of Sale the lady didn't agree with what I told her I paid for the car. After looking it up in the DMV Mystery Guide for Screwing the Taxpayer, she proceeds to tell me that the car is worth 12,600.00 WTF.gif and that is the amount I would have to pay taxes on unless I get an appraisal. lol-2.gif

Therefore now knowing what my car is worth I feel compelled to offer it for sale to my fellow teener lovers for half price. First 6300.00 takes it and I will deliver for gas money! aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
nykthebartender
Craziness.

Do you know what kind of spoiler that is on the front? Or, was it just there when you got it?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(nykthebartender @ Feb 15 2010, 07:09 PM) *

Craziness.

Do you know what kind of spoiler that is on the front? Or, was it just there when you got it?

It was there when I bought the car.
underthetire
That sucks. DMV here never even wanted to see the bill of sale. I could have told them 50 bucks and it would have been ok.
detoxcowboy
CA. DMV took my bill of sale at $800 as value..
messix
contact George at Auto Atlanta or Craig at camp 914 maybe if you e-mail them some detailed photos they can give you an appraisal that your state will take.
my guess would be about 3500 from that picture.
RJMII
The custom paint job and after market wheels bump up the worth a little, too. And it's one of those ultra-rare models that's not on jackstands.

It HAS to be worth 12,600. Half price is a good deal.
johnnie5
QUOTE(nykthebartender @ Feb 15 2010, 05:09 PM) *

Craziness.

Maybe factory, maybe aftermarket... LE front valance (spoiler, airdam).

Link to one of our members who sells an aftermarket version (a damn nice one at that)...

http://www.914ap.com/products.php

Sorry for the Hi-Jack.... carry on!
ChicagoPete
I'll be happy to write you a Bill of Sale, I'll even back date it for you! How much did you want to pay for it? I'll write it for any price you want!

I used to do that all the time here in Illinois. They finally learned that cars of a certain age should only pay a fixed amount in taxes, something like $300. Then they finally caught on that cars exchanging hands from family members pay an even lower fixed tax. Of course, everyone is going to lie about a transaction between relatives. Duh.

Peter
TC 914-8
Here in Wa. They didn't beleive me on the bill of sale price either $2600. The lady at the Dept of licencing handed me a book ( antique and collector cars) Then told me to pick the condition of the car, Needs paint, engine not running, lots of clean up work (see pict). So I gave it a 2.5 out of 6. She then looked up the value of a 2.5rated 76 914, she came up with $2800.00 So sounded fair, I paid my $280.00 or so taxes, an on my way.
I would try another person at the DMV, from what I found with the government folks, some are sharper than others, I figure a week ago most of them were driving a cab.
For all you know they looked up a '73 911.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Forgot to add, I just had my insurance agent write me one of those "Agreed value" policies. we agreed on $18.5K. More than one way to skin a cat. He is a PCA member that helps
So 1/2 price is is a good deal if you can get it........
bandjoey
In Tx we can go to anyone with a car dealers license for an valuation on a title. Lots of mechanics have that license. It might be the same in TN?

bandjoey
In Tx we can go to anyone with a car dealers license for an valuation on a title. Lots of mechanics have that license. It might be the same in TN?

rick 918-S
I effin hate the DMV. They pull that crap here too!
Listen, When you go to the furniture store and purchase a sofa on sale do you pay tax on the retail value of the item?
I don't believe how the DVM managed to skirt the law and charge taxes on a number set by a book of averages across the USA and Canada.
I had that issue when I went in to transfer my 914 15+ years ago. I transfered the car and argued with the counter person and paid the tax base on the purchase price.
$ 1500.00. I wasn't trying to BS them with a $ 200.00 price or something. When it can time to renew my tabs I received a letter stating there was a problem with my title. I called the pin head and he told me based on their research I did not pay enough taxes! So I said... so there isn't really a problem with my title there's a problem with the amount of money your attempting to extort from me. I gave him the furniture example and told him he had two choices. Either accept the fact that I may have gotten a good deal on my car and was paying the correct tax or send me a bill for what he felt I sould pay. I told him if I received a bill the first call I would make is the the attorney general. I advised him that he just made a radio commercial stating beware of unscrupuless induviduals attempting to extort money from you. I never received the bill. I hate that crap!

Andyrew
Since when has DMV charged what a car is worth vs what is on the bill of sale?

They are supposed to charge you taxes based on the purchase price. If I found someone willing to sell me 59 corvette needing paint for $500 and purchased said car for that much, they are supposed to charge taxes based on THAT, not "oh hey Barret Jackson sold a 59 corvette for $126k, so thats what your car is worth".

I have never had a problem with the DMV with my bill of sale's. Most of the time they are fairly low.

As of recent between my friend and I.

98 Audi a4 $4600
62 Ford F100 $50
92 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 $1200
82 Honda Prelude $100
94 Honda Del Sol $200
86 Toyota AE86 $100

Every one of those vechicles had clean titles and were purchased for said money. Yes we got killer deals, Yes all of the cars needed a little work.
Dr Evil
CA DMV is easy on the purchase price thing. That is not everywhere. In PA they are good so far as I remember. I will find out tomorrow when I take care of the bus and the 914. I think because they were both gotten out of state that I will not have to pay taxes here.
Cairo94507
I registered my six here in CA at the local 3 A's office which has a small DMV window inside. The only hitch I ran into was the car came with personalized license plates which I did not want but since they were issued to the previous owner, I did not have the authority to do anything with them. I had to mail him a form for him to release interest in the plates and when I received that form back from him three days later I was able to turn the plates in, register my car and receive my new license plates, which are now on the car, with my new registration in the glove box.

They asked me about a smog certificate and I said it is smog exempt because it is a 1971 and they never said another word about smog. biggrin.gif

I was very happy with the outcome and that I did not have to go to the regular DMV office and wait in line with the masses. I strongly urge anyone who is a 3 A's member to use that option for DMV issues.
sean_v8_914
DMV clerks are like a box of chocolates...
AAA will advise you BEFORE they make a DMV computer entry
if you get the wrong DMV clerk and they make an erroneous entry about your car, you will have to fight their error as if it were fact of record, ouch.
DMV clerks may become jaded from dealing with stupid customers all day long
sean_v8_914
...perhaps he was trying to register a 914 in TN

I've been to hell. I spell it...I spell it DMV
Anyone that's been there knows precisely what I mean
Stood there and I've waited and choked back the urge to scream
And if I had my druthers I'd screw a chimpanzee-call it pointless

When I need relief I spell it THC
Perhaps you may know vaguely what I mean
I sit back and smoke away huge chunks of memory
As I slowly inflict upon myself a full lobotomy-call it pointless

Barbecues, tea kettles, gobs of axle grease
There comes a time for every man to sail the seas of cheese
Now, life's a bowl of bagel dogs, but there are unpleasantries
Cold toilet seats, dentist chairs and trips to DMV-call it pointless

I've been to hell. I spell it...I spell it DMV
Anyone that's been there knows precisely what I mean
I've stood in line and waited near an hour and fifteen
And if I had my druthers I'd screw that chimpanzee-call it pointless
flippa
They do the same thing in Taxachusetts.

sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif

I got jacked by the Massholes at the DMV when I got the title for a 1970 914. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=77706&hl=
Todd Enlund
Not only that, but you pay sales tax based on where you bought the sofa... with a car, you pay sales tax based on where you live. If you move to another state and try to register your car, many states with higher sales taxes will charge you the difference between where you bought the car, and where you moved to.

My ex moved from Oregon (0%) to Louisiana (8%) and had to pay the full sales tax based on KBB to register her car.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 15 2010, 09:05 PM) *

Listen, When you go to the furniture store and purchase a sofa on sale do you pay tax on the retail value of the item?
I don't believe how the DVM managed to skirt the law and charge taxes on a number set by a book of averages across the USA and Canada.
I had that issue when I went in to transfer my 914 15+ years ago. I transfered the car and argued with the counter person and paid the tax base on the purchase price.
$ 1500.00. I wasn't trying to BS them with a $ 200.00 price or something. When it can time to renew my tabs I received a letter stating there was a problem with my title. I called the pin head and he told me based on their research I did not pay enough taxes! So I said... so there isn't really a problem with my title there's a problem with the amount of money your attempting to extort from me. I gave him the furniture example and told him he had two choices. Either accept the fact that I may have gotten a good deal on my car and was paying the correct tax or send me a bill for what he felt I sould pay. I told him if I received a bill the first call I would make is the the attorney general. I advised him that he just made a radio commercial stating beware of unscrupuless induviduals attempting to extort money from you. I never received the bill. I hate that crap!

Dr Evil
That is actually illegal (directly against one of the amendments in the constitution). CA used to do that and had to pay back people after the courts charged the DMV with the violation. It was close to 96 because I had just bought a bike in NC and moved back to CA. NC charged me $300 for tax, and then CA tried to charge me $300 for tax. So, I lied and said I was a NC resident (I was in the military) and filled out the form for the military people. End cost, $30. I received a notice not too many years later stating that if I got screwed by the DMV for taxes for importing a vehicle in from out of state that I was due compensation. Since I skirted around it, I got nothing (as it should be), but it was nice to see this fixed.

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Feb 16 2010, 03:45 PM) *

Not only that, but you pay sales tax based on where you bought the sofa... with a car, you pay sales tax based on where you live. If you move to another state and try to register your car, many states with higher sales taxes will charge you the difference between where you bought the car, and where you moved to.

My ex moved from Oregon (0%) to Louisiana (8%) and had to pay the full sales tax based on KBB to register her car.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 15 2010, 09:05 PM) *

76-914
OK. Jan 09 I get a non op filing with the DMV whilst I tear into the car. In Dec 09 I recieve a letter fron the DMV saying that if I wanted to continue under the non op status I should do nothing. And if I wanted to take it out of non op and register the vehicle I needed to send them a check for $71.00 and it had to be mailed in because I did not have a RIM number of something. (has to do w/ ins being on file)I thought it was great timing as I was finishing the car so I sent a check and called my ins rep to bind it. My check cleared 12-23. By late Jan I'm still waitingon plates so I pull the plates off my Ghia and put them on the 914. That's legal, right? Anyway, 2 weeks ago I recieved a refund check from the DMV for an over payment in the amount of $89.00. I figured it was on one of my 3 other vehicles which were also paid for in Dec. Dumb asses gave me an extra 18.00 back (which is the am't chg'd for non-op fee only)Should I send them the difference back. It's the right thing to do but it will cost the taxpayers another 1000 for them to figure it out. DMV has closed 4 satellite offices nearby and the wait is in days not hours. So I went to AAA joined and they straightened the whole thing out in 10 min's. Turns out DMV had really screwed up but I'm legal and smiling about joining AAA.
Dr Evil
Well, I went to the DMV today and they almost sent me away as the lady said they no longer accept photos of the VIN and that I needed to have a PA mechanic or cop sign them. The site says that you need to do a pencil tracing of the vin and when I tried that the first time 5 years ago they told me I had to get a pic. Luckily, after some blabbing, the lady decided to accept them. $245 later and the bus has a title, reg, and plates, and the 914 has a new title. It still only took 30min, though.
Tonyiz
The DMV here in Houston uses the NADA Guide for classic cars to base it's tax information. My $800 non-running, almost gutted interior, with surface rust, sixer was quoted at $19.5K-$29K. DMV employee informed me that Texas doesn't trust "Bill Of Sale" Figures" and that I would need a licensed dealer or licensed insurance appraiser to appraise vehicle.

Found a good licensed insurance appraisal company and very happy with outcome.

DMV employee was very nice in explaining that Texas was aggressively trying to stop the loss of taxes from fraudulent "Bill Of Sale" figures.
patssle
QUOTE(Tonyiz @ Feb 18 2010, 12:59 AM) *

The DMV here in Houston uses the NADA Guide for classic cars to base it's tax information. My $800 non-running, almost gutted interior, with surface rust, sixer was quoted at $19.5K-$29K. DMV employee informed me that Texas doesn't trust "Bill Of Sale" Figures" and that I would need a licensed dealer or licensed insurance appraiser to appraise vehicle.

DMV employee was very nice in explaining that Texas was aggressively trying to stop the loss of taxes from fraudulent "Bill Of Sale" figures.

That's wierd, because they accepted my Bill of Sale back in August when I bought my 914 for $4k. Then 2 years ago the TPWD accepted my Bill of Sale for 2 jet skis.
Drums66
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 16 2010, 06:57 AM) *

DMV clerks are like a box of chocolates...
AAA will advise you BEFORE they make a DMV computer entry
if you get the wrong DMV clerk and they make an erroneous entry about your car, you will have to fight their error as if it were fact of record, ouch.
DMV clerks may become jaded from dealing with stupid customers all day long

After 2 trips to DMV, I actually had to print out a page from their own website
that they were unaware of to prove my 75' car was smog exempt and still had to
dicker with them about it!!.......That was a Horror,very scary people
WTF.gif I was beginning to think I worked their......another scary thought!!

MrZir
QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 18 2010, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Tonyiz @ Feb 18 2010, 12:59 AM) *

That's wierd, because they accepted my Bill of Sale back in August when I bought my 914 for $4k. Then 2 years ago the TPWD accepted my Bill of Sale for 2 jet skis.

They accept the Bill of Sale within a certain percentage of the NADA value. I don't remember exactly, but it's somewhere inbetween 10-20% and may have changed slightly over the years. $4k is about right for a regular teener, whereas the sixers are quite a bit more. My bill of sale was significantly under the NADA price, but I told the DMV lady that the car had wheels on the frame and everything else was in boxes so I only needed a title transfer, no registration or plates. She thankfully just took it as is without any more questions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.