Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sorta OT: Bondo fix at Daytona 500, Any story about Bondo can't really be OT here
URY914
post Feb 19 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

If you didn't watch it maybe you heard they had a little problem with the pavement separating and causing a pot hole in turn 2. They first tried to patch it like any street road crew but they didn't have time to wait around for it to properly cure so they starting racing and the patch only lasted a few laps.

They went to Plan B for the next fix. Yes, they used Bondo to patch the track. Here is the story.....

"When we had our first intermission during the 2010 Daytona 500 for track repair, the standard or so I assume standard methods of track repair were applied. I applauded the relatively quick work, but I suspected it wouldn’t last. Sure the top layer was cured, but I was curious if the underneath portion of the patch was properly cured also? It seems it wasn’t.

But on the 2nd try, Daytona track engineers came up an idea. They then scurried up and down pit-road, acquiring Bondo from the various teams. They took this massive amount of Bondo and, well, that’s what you’re seeing on the track now. That white / tan / light colored patch is a Bondo fix. And it held for the rest of the race!

"In the middle of all the confusion we're sitting there trying to figure out what we're going to do next, when and if the race restarts," said Lance McGrew, crew chief on Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Chevy, which finished second on Sunday night. "All of the sudden, NASCAR officials up and down pit road started asking all the teams to hand over any Bondo we had on our trucks. I was like, What? Seriously?"

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 19 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

That is awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Feb 19 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #3

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

Cool! I have some holes in the street the city won't fix...can probably die the stuff black. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rod
post Feb 19 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

Thats fantastic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Don't let the British government see this,....... If they do they'll use it to fill the hundreds of potholes caused by the snow over here in the uk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Feb 20 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #5

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The beauty of a large lump of bondo is that it sets much quicker than a small lump.

With a mass that large, cure would be very quick.

Remind me to tell you about the electrical engineer who decided to fix a large dent in his car.

I watched him mix up a gallon of bondo on a flattened cardboard box and watched him as he tried to apply the bondo against the dent in the curved underside of the car.

It kept falling off so he lifted the flattened box, slapped the whole mess against the dent, and held it in place until it set.

The stuff set in record time because of the mass.

He figured that in Florida, the rain would quickly make the box soggy and it would fall off. So he left it in place and drove around until it got soggy and fell off.

Electrical engineers......
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 20 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #6

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

The track has not been repaved since 1978 and isn't scheduled for repaving til 2012. The ASSCAR drivers might like the bumps, but apparently Daytona has long ago forgotten that that they hold the 24 Hours of Daytona, The Brumos 250, SCCA races, Motorcycles, Go-Karts, etc.

T.C.
+Quote Post
736conver
post Feb 20 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 20 2010, 10:32 AM) *

NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

Oh Boy here we go.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Feb 20 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #8

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

hey hey now! the asshat meeting isn't supposed to start in this thread T.C. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) go to the proper thread and we'll be waiting for you!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Feb 20 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #9

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 19 2010, 02:50 PM) *

If you didn't watch it maybe you heard they had a little problem with the pavement separating and causing a pot hole in turn 2. They first tried to patch it like any street road crew but they didn't have time to wait around for it to properly cure so they starting racing and the patch only lasted a few laps.

They went to Plan B for the next fix. Yes, they used Bondo to patch the track. Here is the story.....

"When we had our first intermission during the 2010 Daytona 500 for track repair, the standard or so I assume standard methods of track repair were applied. I applauded the relatively quick work, but I suspected it wouldn’t last. Sure the top layer was cured, but I was curious if the underneath portion of the patch was properly cured also? It seems it wasn’t.

But on the 2nd try, Daytona track engineers came up an idea. They then scurried up and down pit-road, acquiring Bondo from the various teams. They took this massive amount of Bondo and, well, that’s what you’re seeing on the track now. That white / tan / light colored patch is a Bondo fix. And it held for the rest of the race!

"In the middle of all the confusion we're sitting there trying to figure out what we're going to do next, when and if the race restarts," said Lance McGrew, crew chief on Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Chevy, which finished second on Sunday night. "All of the sudden, NASCAR officials up and down pit road started asking all the teams to hand over any Bondo we had on our trucks. I was like, What? Seriously?"

Attached Image

That's pretty cool, I was wondering what they were using. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I read the other day that they were talking about redoing the track in cement, or at least that turn.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 20 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 19 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Attached Image

Hell, that must have taken 20 gallons to fix. Ha, never thought the NASCAR guys would be using it - but given all the smash mouth racing, guess they have holes to fill in the cars.

BTW Bondo works great on wood.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 20 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #11

Racer from Birth

QUOTE(Lou W @ Feb 20 2010, 12:21 PM) *

I read the other day that they were talking about redoing the track in cement, or at least that turn.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/feb/19/sp...repairs/sports/
+Quote Post
sww914
post Feb 20 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

They should just to the whole track like that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 20 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #13

Racer from Birth

The Bondo 500 @ Daytona

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Krank
post Feb 20 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 10,922
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 19 2010, 03:04 PM) *

Thats fantastic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Don't let the British government see this,....... If they do they'll use it to fill the hundreds of potholes caused by the snow over here in the uk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Here they have a dedicate phone number and staff to receive all the calls about potholes in the spring.
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Feb 20 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It is amazing how hot a big blob of bondo will get, Nice fix guys!
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 20 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #16

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.

Member No.: 222

I heard they used duct tape to fix the Goodyear Blimp's leak.....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 11:07 PM