Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sorta OT: Bondo fix at Daytona 500
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
If you didn't watch it maybe you heard they had a little problem with the pavement separating and causing a pot hole in turn 2. They first tried to patch it like any street road crew but they didn't have time to wait around for it to properly cure so they starting racing and the patch only lasted a few laps.

They went to Plan B for the next fix. Yes, they used Bondo to patch the track. Here is the story.....

"When we had our first intermission during the 2010 Daytona 500 for track repair, the standard or so I assume standard methods of track repair were applied. I applauded the relatively quick work, but I suspected it wouldn’t last. Sure the top layer was cured, but I was curious if the underneath portion of the patch was properly cured also? It seems it wasn’t.

But on the 2nd try, Daytona track engineers came up an idea. They then scurried up and down pit-road, acquiring Bondo from the various teams. They took this massive amount of Bondo and, well, that’s what you’re seeing on the track now. That white / tan / light colored patch is a Bondo fix. And it held for the rest of the race!

"In the middle of all the confusion we're sitting there trying to figure out what we're going to do next, when and if the race restarts," said Lance McGrew, crew chief on Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Chevy, which finished second on Sunday night. "All of the sudden, NASCAR officials up and down pit road started asking all the teams to hand over any Bondo we had on our trucks. I was like, What? Seriously?"

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
That is awesome! aktion035.gif
7TPorsh
Cool! I have some holes in the street the city won't fix...can probably die the stuff black. biggrin.gif
Rod
Thats fantastic biggrin.gif

Don't let the British government see this,....... If they do they'll use it to fill the hundreds of potholes caused by the snow over here in the uk laugh.gif

Katmanken
The beauty of a large lump of bondo is that it sets much quicker than a small lump.

With a mass that large, cure would be very quick.

Remind me to tell you about the electrical engineer who decided to fix a large dent in his car.

I watched him mix up a gallon of bondo on a flattened cardboard box and watched him as he tried to apply the bondo against the dent in the curved underside of the car.

It kept falling off so he lifted the flattened box, slapped the whole mess against the dent, and held it in place until it set.

The stuff set in record time because of the mass.

He figured that in Florida, the rain would quickly make the box soggy and it would fall off. So he left it in place and drove around until it got soggy and fell off.

Electrical engineers......
carr914
NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

The track has not been repaved since 1978 and isn't scheduled for repaving til 2012. The ASSCAR drivers might like the bumps, but apparently Daytona has long ago forgotten that that they hold the 24 Hours of Daytona, The Brumos 250, SCCA races, Motorcycles, Go-Karts, etc.

T.C.
736conver
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 20 2010, 10:32 AM) *

NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks

Oh Boy here we go.

blink.gif
messix
hey hey now! the asshat meeting isn't supposed to start in this thread T.C. slap.gif go to the proper thread and we'll be waiting for you!! bye1.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 19 2010, 02:50 PM) *

If you didn't watch it maybe you heard they had a little problem with the pavement separating and causing a pot hole in turn 2. They first tried to patch it like any street road crew but they didn't have time to wait around for it to properly cure so they starting racing and the patch only lasted a few laps.

They went to Plan B for the next fix. Yes, they used Bondo to patch the track. Here is the story.....

"When we had our first intermission during the 2010 Daytona 500 for track repair, the standard or so I assume standard methods of track repair were applied. I applauded the relatively quick work, but I suspected it wouldn’t last. Sure the top layer was cured, but I was curious if the underneath portion of the patch was properly cured also? It seems it wasn’t.

But on the 2nd try, Daytona track engineers came up an idea. They then scurried up and down pit-road, acquiring Bondo from the various teams. They took this massive amount of Bondo and, well, that’s what you’re seeing on the track now. That white / tan / light colored patch is a Bondo fix. And it held for the rest of the race!

"In the middle of all the confusion we're sitting there trying to figure out what we're going to do next, when and if the race restarts," said Lance McGrew, crew chief on Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Chevy, which finished second on Sunday night. "All of the sudden, NASCAR officials up and down pit road started asking all the teams to hand over any Bondo we had on our trucks. I was like, What? Seriously?"

Click to view attachment

That's pretty cool, I was wondering what they were using. smile.gif

I read the other day that they were talking about redoing the track in cement, or at least that turn.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 19 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hell, that must have taken 20 gallons to fix. Ha, never thought the NASCAR guys would be using it - but given all the smash mouth racing, guess they have holes to fill in the cars.

BTW Bondo works great on wood.
carr914
QUOTE(Lou W @ Feb 20 2010, 12:21 PM) *

I read the other day that they were talking about redoing the track in cement, or at least that turn.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/feb/19/sp...repairs/sports/
sww914
They should just to the whole track like that. smile.gif
carr914
The Bondo 500 @ Daytona

lol-2.gif
Krank
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 19 2010, 03:04 PM) *

Thats fantastic biggrin.gif

Don't let the British government see this,....... If they do they'll use it to fill the hundreds of potholes caused by the snow over here in the uk laugh.gif

Here they have a dedicate phone number and staff to receive all the calls about potholes in the spring.
plymouth37
It is amazing how hot a big blob of bondo will get, Nice fix guys!
URY914
I heard they used duct tape to fix the Goodyear Blimp's leak.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.