Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ATL area type IV megasquirt tuners?
thenewwazoo
post Feb 20 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,883
Region Association: Northern California

My (fairly new-to-me) megasquirted '74 2L is running warm on the highway, and I suspect an overly aggressive ignition map might be to blame. As well, it's got some spots in the fuelling that are still rough around the edges, and I don't think I've got the patience to do anything but DRIVE the damned thing (who wants to fiddle around with the laptop when I could be enjoying the car?).

As a result, I think I'd like to buy some dyno time with a tuner that's familiar with both the type IV and the MegaSquirt... does anyone have any recommendations?

For reference, I'm tuned for ~14.5 at cruise and about 36 degrees of advance at 3100 RPM cruise on the highway. I'm seeing head temps settling around 360 with up to 385 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) on long uphill sections, and oil temps of about 230. Around town temps hang out at about 345 and 225.

Thanks in advance for the advice! This forum is a really great resource.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 20 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Are you running a MAP sensor? it sounds like you might be lean under load.

I took my MS to a dyno here. Cost me $200 for the day plus they let me use their wideband O2 to help.
+Quote Post
thenewwazoo
post Feb 20 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 20 2010, 11:07 PM) *

Are you running a MAP sensor? it sounds like you might be lean under load.

I took my MS to a dyno here. Cost me $200 for the day plus they let me use their wideband O2 to help.

Yeah, it's running in speed-density mode (MAP sensor) with a TPS. I've got a wideband installed (in the tailpipe - not optimal, but okay), but I turned off auto-tune mode as it was making the system do weird things.

I know some really good tuners in the area that do MS tuning, but the TIV seems to be a wholly different beast. I'd prefer a tuner who's at least used to tuning air-cooled engines! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
brer
post Feb 20 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

hey, would be at all interested in sharing some 914 megasquirt info?
http://914megasquirt.ning.com/

pm me if you are interested.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 20 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

QUOTE(brer @ Feb 20 2010, 08:47 PM) *

hey, would be at all interested in sharing some 914 megasquirt info?
http://914megasquirt.ning.com/

pm me if you are interested.

I can give you my MSQ file for MS2 3.0 with 2.88 code. It runs, but could always be better.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Feb 21 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #6

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

I live in wodstock am I still trying to get my Megasquirt to run on my test
engine, boy am I finding problems.
Lets have a get together and share knowledge.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 21 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I'm a huge proponent of crank triggering for MegaSquirt. Getting the signal from the coil is yucky. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
thenewwazoo
post Feb 21 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #8

That may be, but you're also selling something, and my car runs quite well otherwise. More to the point, do you know of any Atlanta-area tuners that are familiar with the MS and the type 4?
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 21 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2010, 08:37 AM) *

I'm a huge proponent of crank triggering for MegaSquirt. Getting the signal from the coil is yucky. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

I agree 100% with you on this, if you are running timing to. With fuel only it works fine.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 21 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) for fuel only, you can get away with coil triggering because any fluctuations aren't nearly as pronounced as they are for ignition.

QUOTE(thenewwazoo @ Feb 21 2010, 08:40 AM) *
That may be, but you're also selling something, and my car runs quite well otherwise. More to the point, do you know of any Atlanta-area tuners that are familiar with the MS and the type 4?

Once you're around here awhile, you'll understand that I'm not interested in selling anything you don't need. I was completely blown away with how much the signal improved when I switched from coil triggering to a VR sensor.

If you're car runs great without it, I'm just as happy. Your skepticism is healthy. Just keep in mind that coil triggering CAN cause erratic triggering signals, which can lead to mistimed spark events and improper fuel metering, especially at low RPM and idle.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 21 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2010, 09:48 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) for fuel only, you can get away with coil triggering because any fluctuations aren't nearly as pronounced as they are for ignition.

Once you're around here awhile, you'll understand that I'm not interested in selling anything you don't need. I was completely blown away with how much the signal improved when I switched from coil triggering to a VR sensor.

If you're car runs great without it, I'm just as happy. Your skepticism is healthy. Just keep in mind that coil triggering CAN cause erratic triggering signals, which can lead to mistimed spark events and improper fuel metering, especially at low RPM and idle.

No sh*t. Mine was so erratic, it took the teeth right off the flywheel. Went back to just fuel, and flip the key and pretty much go. I'm currently selling of a bunch o crap to help fund my 2056 build, that will have EIDS on it.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Feb 21 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #12

904SVO

I'm running Megasquirt with a 36-1 tooth wheel, but I'm using a Hall efect
sensor (no VR sensor) and the timing works great using wasted spark mode.
No EDIS required to run this, less parts to worry about.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 21 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

QUOTE(904svo @ Feb 21 2010, 02:10 PM) *

Agreed, but, with the eids system, no more Dizzy problems, no more cap and rotor. Actually less parts to worry about. A tooth wheel would for sure be better than the hall efect on the dizzy though. Since cranking speed of the wheel would be somewhere in the 250-350 rpm range, not reduced by half, i'd think you would get a much cleaner signal.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Feb 21 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #14

904SVO

QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 02:35 PM) *

Agreed, but, with the eids system, no more Dizzy problems, no more cap and rotor. Actually less parts to worry about. A tooth wheel would for sure be better than the hall efect on the dizzy though. Since cranking speed of the wheel would be somewhere in the 250-350 rpm range, not reduced by half, i'd think you would get a much cleaner signal.

On the wasted spark system the only parts required are a 36-1 tooth wheel on the
crank, a Hall efect pick up to the Megasquirt and coils. Timing is adjusted in
Megasquirt timing table. Thats it. My dizzy used for cylinder location only which
is going to be used for twin plugs with the second set of plugs also control by Megasquirt.
+Quote Post
thenewwazoo
post Feb 21 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2010, 12:48 PM) *

... especially at low RPM and idle.

Okay, well, if you think that mistimed spark events could be common enough at 3000-3500 RPM to cause no loss in power but slow heat buildup, I'll take that under consideration. Basically, I'm looking for someone to take the rough edges off my fuelling map and validate my timing. I'm especially not interested in pulling the engine to install a crank sensor. When I pull the engine, it's going to get replaced with a Suby. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Thanks for the concern, though.

So... does anyone know of any tuners in or near Atlanta that will work with the MS? Apparently Jack Raby is in the area, but only works with SDS?
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 21 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(904svo @ Feb 21 2010, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 02:35 PM) *

On the wasted spark system the only parts required are a 36-1 tooth wheel on the
crank, a Hall efect pick up to the Megasquirt and coils. Timing is adjusted in
Megasquirt timing table. Thats it. My dizzy used for cylinder location only which
is going to be used for twin plugs with the second set of plugs also control by Megasquirt.

Thats all the eids system is. Just a coil pack.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 21 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #17

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2010, 09:48 AM) *

Just as an observation you can take McMark at his word, he's 100 percent. He's also posted before about the problem of poor distributor ignition signals as a "for your information" offering to the Megasquirt inclined. Sharing his good experience with no strings attached.

I think you'll find most of the vendors around here (almost all) aren't hustling anything, they're mostly just advanced hobbists who are happy to help others. This group tends to heal itself, rejecting nasty foreign objects that would cause things to get infected and fester.

+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Feb 21 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #18

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 21 2010, 05:35 PM) *

He's using COPs in wasted spark mode, no distributor.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Feb 21 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Should be no trouble finding someone in Atlanta to help. You do know that Diyautotune is in Sawanee up by the Mall of Georgia. They are Megasquirt.
www.diyautotune.com

Bob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
904svo
post Feb 21 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #20

904SVO

QUOTE(thenewwazoo @ Feb 20 2010, 07:37 PM) *

My (fairly new-to-me) megasquirted '74 2L is running warm on the highway, and I suspect an overly aggressive ignition map might be to blame. As well, it's got some spots in the fuelling that are still rough around the edges, and I don't think I've got the patience to do anything but DRIVE the damned thing (who wants to fiddle around with the laptop when I could be enjoying the car?).

As a result, I think I'd like to buy some dyno time with a tuner that's familiar with both the type IV and the MegaSquirt... does anyone have any recommendations?

For reference, I'm tuned for ~14.5 at cruise and about 36 degrees of advance at 3100 RPM cruise on the highway. I'm seeing head temps settling around 360 with up to 385 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) on long uphill sections, and oil temps of about 230. Around town temps hang out at about 345 and 225.

Thanks in advance for the advice! This forum is a really great resource.

Type 4 like to run about 13:1 to stay cool at those rpm's
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:11 PM