Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Could a 914 Redux come about? ...& do you like it?, ...now that VW owns controlling interest in Porsche?
Tom_T
post Feb 24 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Motor Trend on-line had an article in Sept. 2008 about a possible return of the 914, which I came across last year ......

Now that the dust has apparently settled from the VW vs. Porsche corporate control battle, with VW in control - one must wonder if this design study will now come to market?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

OKAY - UPDATE - And to be clear - I'm also asking which styling concept you like, both or neither - as well as if you'd possibly buy one if it came about?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

But you gotta love Sir Andy's brevity as you read on this thread: "No" (to the will they question only).

If you look at the blue version - it clearly has the VW roundel on the front.
However, the gold & more 914-like concept sketch has what appears to be or could be the shield shaped Porsche Crest on the front deck!

Full article at:
http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_ve..._914/index.html

Concept Sketches at: - these are also linked at the full article above

GOLD 914 Targa Roadster - http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_ve...4/photo_01.html

BLUE VW Targa Coupe - http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_ve...4/photo_02.html

Attached Image
~ Personally, I prefer this styling concept myself! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached Image

A guy named Hans L. on here who is involved with the 914-6 resto shop up in Camarillo, also works/worked his "regular day job" at the VW-Audi Design Center in Santa Monica CA, doing such design concepts for them.

Maybe he can enlighten us all????
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Feb 24 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #2

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

I'll take one.... IN YELLOW!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 24 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #3

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

First car hits it out of the park! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) I'll take one!
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Feb 24 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #4

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

I'd take one if the numbers were in the 30ish!
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Feb 25 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I like the yellow concept. Just a thought though. Does anyone think that a new era 914 would make the old 914 value go up or down?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 25 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #6

TMI....

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Feb 24 2010, 10:14 PM) *

I like the yellow concept. Just a thought though. Does anyone think that a new era 914 would make the old 914 value go up or down?

Hard to say, since other collectibility & economy issues come into play.

If the 911/912 series has anything to reflect on what might happen though, the older 60's & 2nd gen 70's 911's have held up well with the later series of 911-ish models coming out every so often since the 80's to present. If that's any indicator, then the original 914s should hold up pretty well.

Plus all those years of denigrating the 914 as "not a real Porsche" tended to have more seen as disposable, so their numbers have diminished perhaps faster that the comparable 911/912 series (relative to total production for each).

It looks like everybody so far shares my taste with the gold/yellow version which is closer to a 914's styling.

If VW is smart, they'll do the blue one as a vW "new Sirocco" or something under their badge, with the gold/yellow one as purely a Porsche badged vehicle.

With the Boxters climbing so high in price now, they probably need a more basic entry level Porsche for the new entrants, as well as for us old school simple sports cars lovers!

I could see this with a flat H-4 & H-6, but would really like to see them shed the weight of water-cooled - & get back to basics with an air/oil-cooled motor line-up again! Also with a true clutched 5 or 6/7 speed stick & no other "helper tech" on them.

Geez - has everybody in the new cars today forgotten how to drive now!!?? I mean most new cars from mid-range up & the silly-utes do everything but wipe your @$$ for you! ...stability control, i-drive ~ no ~ it-drive, PDK (push de Klutch) auto-matic double-clutch for you, drive-by-wire (oh there's a good one - source it from Toyota - NOT), need I drone on!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I wish Hans Lupine would weigh in here & tell us if this might be in the line-up soon!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
johannes
post Feb 25 2010, 06:16 AM
Post #7

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Porsche builts 100 000 cars a year. They don't need an entry level car that will ruin their margins and image. The Boxster IS the 914 sucessor. Every time an executive from Porsche was interviewed he said that there will never be a model cheaper than the Boxster.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Feb 25 2010, 06:23 AM
Post #8

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

I like the yellow one a lot, but the door handles just don't work for me. If you're going with 914 styling cues, you gotta have the door handles.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 25 2010, 07:05 AM
Post #9

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

I don't know. I think they have figured out Rust Prevention, which would ruin the whole concept. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 25 2010, 07:07 AM
Post #10

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Feb 25 2010, 01:14 AM) *

Does anyone think that a new era 914 would make the old 914 value go up or down?

I don't think it would change much. People wondered the same thing when the new Beetle came out.

T.C.
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Feb 25 2010, 07:57 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,714

Here's an idea then. If Porsche wants to improve their image, drop the boxster. I know I will get flamed for this, as many of you have boxsters, but why not go back to older, simpler times. Make the 914 the "new" boxster. I see way too many boxsters on the road here Vista alone, and they have little character. This new 914 concept has lots of character.

When you look at how many cars are produced, vs. how many are sold in a dealership here in the states, I think they need a cheaper entry level car again.

My worthless 2cents
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Feb 25 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 25 2010, 05:57 AM) *

Here's an idea then. If Porsche wants to improve their image, drop the boxster. I know I will get flamed for this, as many of you have boxsters, but why not go back to older, simpler times. Make the 914 the "new" boxster. I see way too many boxsters on the road here Vista alone, and they have little character. This new 914 concept has lots of character.

When you look at how many cars are produced, vs. how many are sold in a dealership here in the states, I think they need a cheaper entry level car again.

My worthless 2cents

I agree, the Boxster is the "Chicks" "Porsche" at least in So. Cal. where I have heard it called that a few times.. I hope they leave the 914 the 914 and just create a new bastard "peoples porsche" volksporsche. Retro, Old School re interpreted is good for neither the new or the vintage..
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Feb 25 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 25 2010, 03:14 AM) *

If VW is smart, they'll do the blue one as a vW "new Sirocco" or something under their badge, with the gold/yellow one as purely a Porsche badged vehicle.

They already have a new Scirroco out, at least they were selling them in Portugal last summer when I was there, took some pics at a VW dealer. I'll look for em.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Feb 25 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #14

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 25 2010, 10:52 AM) *

the Boxster is the "Chicks" "Porsche" at least in So. Cal. where I have heard it called that a few times..

That's what they used to call the 914, back in the day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
johannes
post Feb 25 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #15

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

They are speaking of having the Boxter and Cayman available with 4 cylinder engines. This is to achieve lower Co2 emissions and have lower prices without investing in a new car.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 25 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Feb 25 2010, 12:14 AM) *

The new Mini didn't hurt the old Mini and it wasn't even built by a British car company.

I'd say more interest in our old version= price holds even in a down market and slight up tick when the economy surges. And yes, Priced in the high 25 mid 30K would sell a bunch!
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 25 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I agree... the gold one would be a sale for me. The styling is much more 914 minded. I would want the 200 HP version. The problem with any "new" platform is that it needs to be independent of the 911 flagship. Hence you end up with a sedan and an SUV far earlier than what "WE" want.

I could see Porsche moving 100,000 to 200,000 new 914s for $30-$35M, but what would happen to the Boxster, and potentially the 911... that's why I think you'll never see it.

With one exception... you will need a platform for electric / hybrid technology....
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 25 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #18

TMI....

QUOTE(johannes @ Feb 25 2010, 04:16 AM) *

Porsche builts 100 000 cars a year. They don't need an entry level car that will ruin their margins and image. The Boxster IS the 914 sucessor. Every time an executive from Porsche was interviewed he said that there will never be a model cheaper than the Boxster.

Johannes - I have to humbly disagree on that point. Compared to our venerable 914s, the Boxster is a bloated 3000 lb. water cooled & relatively taller monster, loaded with the modern "comfort extras". Even Porsche recognized that & offered the "stripped down" Boxter Speedster this year (with a useless top).

Look at the Mazda Miata's success - it is the mass produced Lotus Elan of these days, & the "experts" said it wouldn't do well when it came out - boy were they wrong!

IMHO - there is room in the marketplace for a Porsche made competitor to the Miata, BMW Z4, Honda 2000 - but in the small, unloaded mid-engined variety such as this concept study.

This Gold/Yellow concept is much lower slung (read lower CG - center of gravity) which looks to be 2/3's or 3/4's the size & wheelbase of the Boxster, which would be a return to the go-kcart like handling of our beloved Teeners! Closer to the sixe of the current sports car competitors noted above, as well as the Lotus Elan & our 914s.

If Porsche fits-out & markets this right as a no nonsense fun sports car, then it will sell very well, because there are a lot more buyers out there who would buy a 914-ish sports car, if they didn't have to worry so much about NOS parts, rust, people who know how to service them, etc., etc. They're looking for a reliable but fun daily driver or 2nd car for fun, which they don't need to get a "914 PhD" to keep up.

Market segmentation is THE name of the game today - & a game which Porsche plays well - as seen by a 4-door Porsche & SUV in the line-up today! Who'd have thunk 20 years ago that Porsche would EVER build those!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 25 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #19

TMI....

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Feb 25 2010, 04:23 AM) *

I like the yellow one a lot, but the door handles just don't work for me. If you're going with 914 styling cues, you gotta have the door handles.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Gotta have those fine & slick flush 914 recessed handles!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
... but they could strengthen the weak points up from our 914's ones! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 25 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #20

TMI....

QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 25 2010, 05:05 AM) *

I don't know. I think they have figured out Rust Prevention, which would ruin the whole concept. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I read this earlier on my am quick check & you just killed me!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:56 AM