Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ultra effecient combustion cars, under 1.5 litre, thoughts, pics, comments, designs, concepts
pete-stevers
post Feb 25 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #1

saved from fire!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Given todays economic climate, possible scaricity of fuel, and of course just the raw challenge of building a car with high mpg,
we should have a thread on cars of this nature, in production,prototypes,homebuilts, concepts and pictures.
( I wish i had the time and energy to build a car with a sub 1 litre engine, and maybe one day i will)

but lets keep it to combustion power, for now
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
jonferns
post Feb 25 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

Europe has always used small engine in small cars, think 1.2 litre gas engines and small efficient diesels. I dont understand why this country feels the need to have massive v8 cars and trucks and not enough compact cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Feb 25 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 805

The original Audi A2 was a remarkable car:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/01/A2TDI/content.shtml

Kind of like a Honda Fit, but with a 1.2L TDI, for 2.99 L/100 km fuel economy (78.7 mpg). There's a new A2 out in Europe:

http://www.allautoreviews.com/auto_reviews/audi/audi-a2.htm

... but it seems more focused on performance than economy.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Feb 25 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

A guy here is putting a Turbo hyabusa 1300 in his triumph, although I don't think for fuel efficiency (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I was wondering how much the E85 sensors are to run a flex fuel in my 914.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 25 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I fully expect to convert my Dad's car to electricity someday.... just not in the next 10-15 years...
+Quote Post
patssle
post Feb 25 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Feb 25 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Europe has always used small engine in small cars, think 1.2 litre gas engines and small efficient diesels. I dont understand why this country feels the need to have massive v8 cars and trucks and not enough compact cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Most Europeans also only own 1 car. I don't understand why this country feels the need to own 3 914s instead of just one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 25 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #7

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

Woodgas ...
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Feb 25 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #8

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914

QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 25 2010, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Feb 25 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Most Europeans also only own 1 car. I don't understand why this country feels the need to own 3 914s instead of just one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

lets skip political conjecture (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) and focus on high effeciency combustion cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Feb 25 2010, 01:14 PM
Post #9

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

I was reading some information on GDI (Gas Direct Injection) the other day.

They were getting better fuel mileage, and better torque by injecting the fuel directly into the combustion chamber. It allowed for leaner mixtures because of less 'wet-walling' and more precisely controllwed injection timing. The fuel was able to keep squirting while it was still burning.

+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Feb 25 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #10

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

More power in diesel fuel which equates to better mileage which is why they are all over Europe.

Want ultra efficient? Don't drive a large vehicle the size of your living room.

In Spain a few years ago, the largest normal car on the road was VW Jetta sized.

Most vehicles were sized like that Audi A2, and in that environment, a Smart car looked not so out of place.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 25 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

100hp factory rated 1.3L twin cam Suzuki Swift GTI engine bolted to Samurai 5 sp. Custom header, Fuel injected, chipped.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 25 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #12

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

size matters in a car wreck ..theres more to life then mileage
+Quote Post
JJ914GT
post Feb 25 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,386
Region Association: Europe

That's an MG Midget.
( Oh, wait,.. this isn't the "guess that car" thread ;-) )

Here's a likewise car, under 2 liters, over 200bhp.
K-Series in MG Midget
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Feb 25 2010, 01:46 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Can't tow 16K lbs with a 1.4litre toy. Don't want to drive 2000 miles in a trip in a beer can. Don't want to get flattened by soccer mom in suburban. This is America. Free market determined they want cars you can fit several people in and gas mileage be damned. In Europe the government decided what would be sold. The rich didn't want the average Joe riding around in a big car possibly upstaging them. That would be bad.

I have nothing against ultra efficient vehicles, but realize not everyone wants them or cares and that doesn't make them bad people. I don't want to get in a wreck driving a shitbox smart car. I really don't want to get hit in my Prelude, Civic, 914 etc. But those are much bigger cars. Plus I like going fast. so 1.5 litres and less is boring.
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Feb 25 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,238

We have a 08 Toyota Yaris it is 1.5 liter 106hp. can actually fit 4 adults, comfortably. I almost got a smart car, but test drove it and the yaris the same day, in the smart it was a shoulder to shoulder experience.. the is quite alot of room in the yaris. it has good crash results, also. I dont drive in "eco mode" by any means and get mid 30's for mpg with mixed driving.. on highway trips we get over 40mpg, thats not in the slow lane, keeping with the flow of traffic. it is a awesome well proven drive trrrain, it is the same basic engine that has been in the echo for quite some time... 200k miles are very common with no mechanical repairs. I did drop it with TRD springs and MOMO Winter alloys, and a jl audio system to make it a little different.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Feb 25 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(RJMII @ Feb 25 2010, 11:14 AM) *

I was reading some information on GDI (Gas Direct Injection) the other day.

They were getting better fuel mileage, and better torque by injecting the fuel directly into the combustion chamber. It allowed for leaner mixtures because of less 'wet-walling' and more precisely controllwed injection timing. The fuel was able to keep squirting while it was still burning.

Thats what my solstice has. I can drive like a maniac and still get 18mpg and thats with 330hp and 350lb. If I drive it normal it gets 30mpg.

Small motor in a more aero body and lighter as well and you would have a pretty low mpg car.
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Feb 25 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,590

I started driving a 2005 Scion xB a few years ago for my daily driver. 1.5l engine has ~100 hp and moves it faily well and gets 34 - 35 mpg. Very roomy even with 4 adults and it isn't the smallest thing on the highway. The looks/styling has to grow on you though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Feb 25 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,238

As far as small not being safe, I believe it all matter on the situation,,, small low car vs big full size truck, head on or side impact... truck will win mostly due to bumper car height. Into a fixed object is a different story, I rember a youtube vid of a smart car into concrete wall, the smart car look liker a crushed beer can , but the interior cabin was completely intact, the door still opened and closed fine, and interior g's on the occupant was less then half that of old tank cars. the body absorbed the impact like it was designed to do. I do believe you must drive more defensively in a smaller car, But everyone should drive what they feel comfortable in, thats what makes America wonderful,
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 25 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #19

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

A friend of mine has a 93 honda civic "lean burn". He gets near 50mpg...

Seriously why arent we utilizing THAT technology??? Damn things got like 230k miles on it as well.

VW/Audi uses direct fuel injection on all their new engines. Lots of company's do.

+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 25 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #20

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

The best mileage of any car I've ever owned was the '73 914 1.7 back about 1976 or so. Stock 165 tires, Imperial gallons (25% larger than a US gallon), and the gas of the day that I believe was somewhat better than today. I would get about 40 MPG highway, and sometimes 50 on a long cruise.
Not only that, but the 914 was more fun and laughs per mile than any other car as well.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 01:13 PM