Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Price for a Jack Raby engine?
jerome3.2
post Feb 28 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,339
Region Association: None

Hello,

That has been a difficult question to ask. I assume that many of you are aware of the seeling prices for a Jack Raby's engine. I have used the search engine but I have not been able to come across something interesting and clear enough.
I have had a look on his website and it seems to be a tough process to get a quote. As I do not want to annoy him with my newbie questions (He seems to be quite busy)and I would like to be sure I can afford this engine prior to discussing with him, I rely on your knowledge.
I would like to get a 2270 performer as I intend to track my future 914 a little. Would it be a good choice? Maybe a 2056 performer should be enough?
I feel a bit like a dummie with this post
Thanks for your help and your advice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SFOB914
post Feb 28 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,217

You don't know Jack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

His name is Jake Raby. Sorry no info on his engines.
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Feb 28 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,189
Region Association: Southern California

You should never feel like a dummy here. Jake always likes to answer ?s about his engines and he would be the best person to ask. I purchased a 2270 performer engine kit a couple of years ago and at that time it was $5,500 just to give you an idea. This engine was fun to assemble and it runs awesome.
+Quote Post
jerome3.2
post Feb 28 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,339

QUOTE(craig downs @ Feb 28 2010, 05:57 PM) *

You should never feel like a dummy here. Jake always likes to answer ?s about his engines and he would be the best person to ask. I purchased a 2270 performer engine kit a couple of years ago and at that time it was $5,500 just to give you an idea. This engine was fun to assemble and it runs awesome.

Oups sorry for the spelling, 5500 is only for the kit and I have two right hands!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Feb 28 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

Jack. Hee hee. Jack Raby, sounds like a spy novel dude. Agent Jack Raby.
His (Jake's) engines are expensive, I'm sure he can tell you why.
I don't know about Agent Jack Raby's prices.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Feb 28 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #6

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

jake's kits do come with the video of how-to, and he will answer your questions. Jake can help you get an engine plan together.

last I saw tho, his kits were going to go up in price.

+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 28 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

What kind of "Jake Raby" engine are you interested in building? Pricing can get very expensive, just for parts, depending upon the engine configuration.

What do you want to build? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Here's an example:

Attached Image

And this is just the beginning

+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 1 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #8

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Engine kits start around 5K, you assemble them and sub-systems are extra.

Turn key complete engines are 10,500-13K up to 200 HP- dyno tuned and 100% complete.

All our engines are different, to schedule a phone chat directly with me to discuss the best engine for your application email info@aircooledtechnology.com
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 1 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 1 2010, 07:24 AM) *

Engine kits start around 5K, you assemble them and sub-systems are extra.

Turn key complete engines are 10,500-13K up to 200 HP- dyno tuned and 100% complete.

All our engines are different, to schedule a phone chat directly with me to discuss the best engine for your application email info@aircooledtechnology.com

I think Joe said that he had $7,700 in parts in his motor plus labor.

Mine was more as we ran fuel injection along with a billet crank, SCAT rods and specially built J&E pistons. We must have had over a grand just in fuel, oil lines and fittings in my motor.... plus of course lots of labor.

And don't forget that the cost of the dyno work, i.e., mapping the fuel injection.

But don't get discouraged by all the money; we built a race motor with the very best parts we could find, no expense spared. Jake has kits that will perform great for a lot less money, it just depends on what you are trying to do.

BTW my motor has never been run over 6100 RPM's, but will be doing so shortly with the new dual valve springs that Len installed. On our initial dino runs it was pulling like a banshee when we had the valves float at 6100, but was still good for 201HP and 190 ft lbs of torque. I mean it was pulling like it wouldn't roll over until 8K, but again we never got there.

Can wait to see what it'll do with the new valve springs. I kind of wonder where it will roll over?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 1 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #10

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Sure, Randal, you wait till I quit AXing the 914 before ya bring that thing out to play.
You are going to run it this season, eh?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 1 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 1 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Sure, Randal, you wait till I quit AXing the 914 before ya bring that thing out to play.

I sure hope so JP.

And by the way anytime I show up, where you are, you can take it through it's paces.

Should be even more competitive now, with all the weight reductions, the ability to pull more RPMs and of course the JP cage fixes to stiffen the car.

And the driver ... well we won't go into that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Mar 2 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,499

Randall those heads will really like the extra revs your going to get with the new springs! Not sure where it will nose over, but it will sure pull past 6100!
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 2 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Mar 2 2010, 03:35 PM) *

Randall those heads will really like the extra revs your going to get with the new springs! Not sure where it will nose over, but it will sure pull past 6100!

We'll found out what'll she do very soon.

And thanks again Len for all your help. Your the best!
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 2 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #14

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 1 2010, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 1 2010, 09:54 AM) *

I sure hope so JP.

And by the way anytime I show up, where you are, you can take it through it's paces.

Should be even more competitive now, with all the weight reductions, the ability to pull more RPMs and of course the JP cage fixes to stiffen the car.

And the driver ... well we won't go into that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Its exciting to hear 222 is coming back out with proper redline this time. It always pained me to see that car being shifted so many times. I knew you were making the most of it but it was one of the reasons the car wasnt meeting its AX potential.

If you still have cantilever tires I wonder if lighter is going to help you much with our venues in the SF Bay Area? I think there is a reason why Andrew is experimenting with Hoosier A6's. Bill D is trying to go to them as well. You will be unbeatable on hot days or when you have a co-driver but anything less and I suspect you will have big heavy cars barking up your tailpipes.

I got rid of the canti's on the Boxster in favor of much faster tire as well. Its going to be fun chasing you in the big hot 4 with a stock M96 powered race car. Have to love progress Porsche has made when I can buy a $2500 stock boxster motor and it puts out similar output to a full tilt professionally built race motor of similar displacement. My problem is I'm dragging around extra 600 lbs over that rocket of yours currently.

On a seperate note. Jakes T4 motors deserve much better suspension and tire development as most 914's are not getting full potential of his motors to the ground with a slightly modified production 914 suspension.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Mar 30 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,209

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 2 2010, 08:03 PM) *

.....................In just a few days it will be 3months, since your posting , about your engine, ....looking forward to the update.....with new valve springs.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 30 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #16

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Randal's engine and car look great and he is a heck of a driver... This should be an exciting year for him if he doesn't run out of gas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

See you at Santa Rosa next month Randal?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 30 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 30 2010, 08:19 AM) *

Randal's engine and car look great and he is a heck of a driver... This should be an exciting year for him if he doesn't run out of gas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

See you at Santa Rosa next month Randal?

Might not make it next month, but am trying to get 222 back on the road.

Santa Rosa is a great course, fun place to run, except for that go kart bit that can get a little crazy if you miss your lines.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Mar 30 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 9,209

QUOTE(ME733 @ Mar 30 2010, 11:11 AM) *

.....................In just a few days it will be 3months, since your posting , about your engine, ....looking forward to the update.....with new valve springs.

......................HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE on your jack raby engine, with new valve springs.........
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 30 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ME733 @ Mar 30 2010, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Mar 30 2010, 11:11 AM) *

......................HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE on your jack raby engine, with new valve springs.........

Just finishing up the new (end to end) cage, then will be putting the motor back in and taking it up to Santa Rosa to dyno. I'll post the results. BTW I think the car is going to be below 1600lbs, but we'll see.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 5 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Wow... you and Grant are taking things to a whole new level.... should be fun to watch...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 09:28 PM