Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Price for a Jack Raby engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jerome3.2
Hello,

That has been a difficult question to ask. I assume that many of you are aware of the seeling prices for a Jack Raby's engine. I have used the search engine but I have not been able to come across something interesting and clear enough.
I have had a look on his website and it seems to be a tough process to get a quote. As I do not want to annoy him with my newbie questions (He seems to be quite busy)and I would like to be sure I can afford this engine prior to discussing with him, I rely on your knowledge.
I would like to get a 2270 performer as I intend to track my future 914 a little. Would it be a good choice? Maybe a 2056 performer should be enough?
I feel a bit like a dummie with this post
Thanks for your help and your advice.
SFOB914
You don't know Jack. biggrin.gif

His name is Jake Raby. Sorry no info on his engines.
craig downs
You should never feel like a dummy here. Jake always likes to answer ?s about his engines and he would be the best person to ask. I purchased a 2270 performer engine kit a couple of years ago and at that time it was $5,500 just to give you an idea. This engine was fun to assemble and it runs awesome.
jerome3.2
QUOTE(craig downs @ Feb 28 2010, 05:57 PM) *

You should never feel like a dummy here. Jake always likes to answer ?s about his engines and he would be the best person to ask. I purchased a 2270 performer engine kit a couple of years ago and at that time it was $5,500 just to give you an idea. This engine was fun to assemble and it runs awesome.

Oups sorry for the spelling, 5500 is only for the kit and I have two right hands!! laugh.gif
sww914
Jack. Hee hee. Jack Raby, sounds like a spy novel dude. Agent Jack Raby.
His (Jake's) engines are expensive, I'm sure he can tell you why.
I don't know about Agent Jack Raby's prices.
tat2dphreak
jake's kits do come with the video of how-to, and he will answer your questions. Jake can help you get an engine plan together.

last I saw tho, his kits were going to go up in price.

Randal
What kind of "Jake Raby" engine are you interested in building? Pricing can get very expensive, just for parts, depending upon the engine configuration.

What do you want to build? cheer.gif

Here's an example:

Click to view attachment

And this is just the beginning

Jake Raby
Engine kits start around 5K, you assemble them and sub-systems are extra.

Turn key complete engines are 10,500-13K up to 200 HP- dyno tuned and 100% complete.

All our engines are different, to schedule a phone chat directly with me to discuss the best engine for your application email info@aircooledtechnology.com
Randal
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 1 2010, 07:24 AM) *

Engine kits start around 5K, you assemble them and sub-systems are extra.

Turn key complete engines are 10,500-13K up to 200 HP- dyno tuned and 100% complete.

All our engines are different, to schedule a phone chat directly with me to discuss the best engine for your application email info@aircooledtechnology.com

I think Joe said that he had $7,700 in parts in his motor plus labor.

Mine was more as we ran fuel injection along with a billet crank, SCAT rods and specially built J&E pistons. We must have had over a grand just in fuel, oil lines and fittings in my motor.... plus of course lots of labor.

And don't forget that the cost of the dyno work, i.e., mapping the fuel injection.

But don't get discouraged by all the money; we built a race motor with the very best parts we could find, no expense spared. Jake has kits that will perform great for a lot less money, it just depends on what you are trying to do.

BTW my motor has never been run over 6100 RPM's, but will be doing so shortly with the new dual valve springs that Len installed. On our initial dino runs it was pulling like a banshee when we had the valves float at 6100, but was still good for 201HP and 190 ft lbs of torque. I mean it was pulling like it wouldn't roll over until 8K, but again we never got there.

Can wait to see what it'll do with the new valve springs. I kind of wonder where it will roll over?

Click to view attachment
J P Stein
Sure, Randal, you wait till I quit AXing the 914 before ya bring that thing out to play.
You are going to run it this season, eh?
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 1 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Sure, Randal, you wait till I quit AXing the 914 before ya bring that thing out to play.

I sure hope so JP.

And by the way anytime I show up, where you are, you can take it through it's paces.

Should be even more competitive now, with all the weight reductions, the ability to pull more RPMs and of course the JP cage fixes to stiffen the car.

And the driver ... well we won't go into that. lol-2.gif
HAM Inc
Randall those heads will really like the extra revs your going to get with the new springs! Not sure where it will nose over, but it will sure pull past 6100!
Randal
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Mar 2 2010, 03:35 PM) *

Randall those heads will really like the extra revs your going to get with the new springs! Not sure where it will nose over, but it will sure pull past 6100!

We'll found out what'll she do very soon.

And thanks again Len for all your help. Your the best!
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 1 2010, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 1 2010, 09:54 AM) *

I sure hope so JP.

And by the way anytime I show up, where you are, you can take it through it's paces.

Should be even more competitive now, with all the weight reductions, the ability to pull more RPMs and of course the JP cage fixes to stiffen the car.

And the driver ... well we won't go into that. lol-2.gif

Its exciting to hear 222 is coming back out with proper redline this time. It always pained me to see that car being shifted so many times. I knew you were making the most of it but it was one of the reasons the car wasnt meeting its AX potential.

If you still have cantilever tires I wonder if lighter is going to help you much with our venues in the SF Bay Area? I think there is a reason why Andrew is experimenting with Hoosier A6's. Bill D is trying to go to them as well. You will be unbeatable on hot days or when you have a co-driver but anything less and I suspect you will have big heavy cars barking up your tailpipes.

I got rid of the canti's on the Boxster in favor of much faster tire as well. Its going to be fun chasing you in the big hot 4 with a stock M96 powered race car. Have to love progress Porsche has made when I can buy a $2500 stock boxster motor and it puts out similar output to a full tilt professionally built race motor of similar displacement. My problem is I'm dragging around extra 600 lbs over that rocket of yours currently.

On a seperate note. Jakes T4 motors deserve much better suspension and tire development as most 914's are not getting full potential of his motors to the ground with a slightly modified production 914 suspension.
ME733
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 2 2010, 08:03 PM) *

.....................In just a few days it will be 3months, since your posting , about your engine, ....looking forward to the update.....with new valve springs.
ConeDodger
Randal's engine and car look great and he is a heck of a driver... This should be an exciting year for him if he doesn't run out of gas biggrin.gif poke.gif lol-2.gif

See you at Santa Rosa next month Randal?
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 30 2010, 08:19 AM) *

Randal's engine and car look great and he is a heck of a driver... This should be an exciting year for him if he doesn't run out of gas biggrin.gif poke.gif lol-2.gif

Might not make it next month, but am trying to get 222 back on the road.

Santa Rosa is a great course, fun place to run, except for that go kart bit that can get a little crazy if you miss your lines.
ME733
QUOTE(ME733 @ Mar 30 2010, 11:11 AM) *

.....................In just a few days it will be 3months, since your posting , about your engine, ....looking forward to the update.....with new valve springs.

......................HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE on your jack raby engine, with new valve springs.........
Randal
QUOTE(ME733 @ Mar 30 2010, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Mar 30 2010, 11:11 AM) *

......................HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE on your jack raby engine, with new valve springs.........

Just finishing up the new (end to end) cage, then will be putting the motor back in and taking it up to Santa Rosa to dyno. I'll post the results. BTW I think the car is going to be below 1600lbs, but we'll see.
EdwardBlume
Wow... you and Grant are taking things to a whole new level.... should be fun to watch...
grantsfo
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 5 2010, 10:33 AM) *

Wow... you and Grant are taking things to a whole new level.... should be fun to watch...

Phat B will catch up to 222 next season. My car is in its infancy in terms of development compared to the 6 or 7 years Randal has been working on 222. This is really the first season I have set it up as AX car and its still way too heavy to go after Randals AX car. With me in the car I'm draging around about 600 lbs more than 222 with similar level of power and far less torque.

Once I get the car down to 1900lbs and get 300 HP 3.4 in it Randal might have something to worry about. Right now I'm just a nuisance while he continues to sort his car.

DanT
biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 5 2010, 10:33 AM) *

It seems to me that despite all the hype, Grant hasn't caught up to that 914 you now own. It's kinda hard to tell cause you & Randal never run those cars. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
LOL! Dan knows how fast Phat Bastard is compared to the Pirate Ship.
DanT
it is way faster and much easier to drive getting there.
no BS just facts...chassis is extremely stiff now, and with a very basic suspension setup, the car is phenomenal currently and will only get better as the suspension is tweeked and it gets more power. I haven't driven it since the rev limiter has been raised...could have used that at the AX a couple of weeks ago happy11.gif
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 30 2010, 08:19 AM) *

Ha, I missed the joke the first time. That was funny wasn't it?
J P Stein
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 5 2010, 02:52 PM) *

no BS just facts...chassis is extremely stiff now, and with a very basic suspension setup, the car is phenomenal currently and will only get better as the suspension is tweeked and it gets more power. I haven't driven it since the rev limiter has been raised...could have used that at the AX a couple of weeks ago happy11.gif

You'z guys must'a beaten Vic's Beemer then. Grant's 914 was a second or so off him last I saw. biggrin.gif
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 6 2010, 04:04 PM) *

You'z guys must'a beaten Vic's Beemer then. Grant's 914 was a second or so off him last I saw. biggrin.gif

Depends on what surface you're talking about. Asphalt or concrete?
Randal

You really think that the - Grant / backup Dan comedy team will be bring that up here?
grantsfo

Yep its slow. Must selll and buy a buggy! Guess you havent been looking at the times lately. I dont ever remeber being within a second of Vic in the 914. More like 2 to 3 seconds with exception of one event where I think I was a second and a half. Already bettered that in the Boxster with old Canti tires. Havent had a chance yet to run agaisnt him with new configuration.
DanT
I'd be happy to take a crack at him in PB....probably would come out on the short end of the stick...but it would be fun trying. And the boxster is becoming a very good AX car...
I was 1.2 behind Vic at Marina at the shootout in the Pirate Ship. And I firmly believe that PB is a better (quicker) all around AX car and will only get better as Grant continues the development of the car. I consider myself very lucky to having been given a chance to drive both cars and can make an independent appraisal..
grantsfo
And Jake makes motors for these too! Suspect they make just a little more power than a t4 piratenanner.gif
J P Stein
"Times" mean nothing without context since each course/venue/climatic conditions are different.

Context in AX is time relative to the competition on a given day/course/conditions......that is the basic AX tool for improvement taken over several events. Pick a couple of fast guys as markers and see how you do *in relation*. Everything else is wishful thinking.

Ease of driving is a very good marker tho. Easy to drive fast is good as long as you know what fast is.
Joe Ricard
Epic qoute
"Ease of driving is a very good marker tho. Easy to drive fast is good as long as you know what fast is.

I have finally caught my targets in local event and have become the target.
However getting into National tours I am mid pack.

I'm good with that.
Russ
You may also want to check out FAT Performance. They also build some very nice flat four engines. FAT is located in CA

Kevin Shull (KSR) also builds a mean flat four engine. KSR is located in SC. If you contact Kevin, tell he owes me a favor and maybe he will give you price break...

Russell Turpin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.