Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> engine woes, engine rebuild
arkitect
post Mar 5 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

New to this, first post.

Trying to get some opinions on an engine rebuild. I've got a 70 914 with the engine in pieces....should I try to get the parts - pistons, rings, bearings ect. or try to find a good used motor. Assuming it's a 1.7.

I know, this is a pretty loaded question.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Mar 5 2010, 04:26 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,741

QUOTE(arkitect @ Mar 5 2010, 12:04 AM) *

New to this, first post.

Trying to get some opinions on an engine rebuild. I've got a 70 914 with the engine in pieces....should I try to get the parts - pistons, rings, bearings ect. or try to find a good used motor. Assuming it's a 1.7.

I guess that depends on what your skill level and what your goals are. I've been bit too many times by buying used motors that weren't any good. If you rebuild your motor you'll at least know what you have in it and you'll have the satisfaction of not having to worry about it. Either way, you'll have to pull the motor. Once its out, you might as well pull it apart and rebuild it.

Naturally, its easy for me to spend your money.

What are your plans for the car?

You might pick up some of your pieces and run them past a machinist to see if the major components are rebuildable. If not, its worth it to find out now before you start spending real money.

-m
+Quote Post
hydroliftin
post Mar 5 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,180
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(arkitect @ Mar 5 2010, 12:04 AM) *

New to this, first post.

Well, living in Stockton you should be able to pick up a running 1.7 for $200 - $300 within a 150 mi. range of home. Check Craig's List or put a "want to buy" post on 914World. So if money is tight this might be your best option. If you have a few thousand $ to spend, talk to Jake Raby and build the best motor you can afford.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 5 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

... and as an Architect, your time may be too tight with project deadlines & "all nighters" to actually git 'er dun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If you're looking to have it rebuilt by somebody - so you KNOW that you've got a good running motor backed by a professional shop - then try McMark in the member vendors on here. He's close to you up in Napa & can probably even help you squeeze a bit more HP & Torque out of your 1.7. If you're a real power-hog, then Google for Jake Raby's MassIVe website & look at his 1.7 up-builds (McMark works with him & may be able to do some locally as well).

There also may be other members in the Bay Area & Central Valley near you who can recommend their favorite 914 mechanic to check out as well.

However, if you do have the skills & time to do your own rebuild, then get on the mailing lists of the major 914 parts suppliers for their weekly & other special deals & discounts, then try to time your purchases when they're offering 15% or better off.

Auto Atlanta - various sales 20-30% off
Performance Products/Eckler's - Weekly Specials - often at 15%
Pelican - varies
TC'sGarage - varies
others jump in here, as I'm brain-farting on some others! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Dealers - Porsche Club of America &/or Porsche both offer 20% off at times - PCA has 20% off now thru 3/31/10

Plus some still generally available parts from OEM manufacturers can be had by a Google or price comparison at the various auto suppliers online.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom T (USC, BS-Arch 70)
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 5 2010, 10:27 AM
Post #5

TMI....

Oh & (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

BTW - my "agree" was with post #2, I too don't trust buying someone else's problem in a used motor, but agree with post #3 re Raby &/or McMark.

BTW#2 - I have my long time factory trained on 914s mechanic Hans Imports down here in OC who did/does my mechanical work & knows them inside out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom T
914 owner since 1975
///////
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Mar 5 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #6

Thanks everyone for their input. Yes just looking for a driver...but don't want to spend alot of money. Which I know is a relative term, every car project your going to spend money.

Is there any machine shops closer to Stockton/Sacramento that know the 914's?
+Quote Post
ericread
post Mar 5 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #7

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432

QUOTE(arkitect @ Mar 5 2010, 08:44 AM) *

Thanks everyone for their input. Yes just looking for a driver...but don't want to spend alot of money. Which I know is a relative term, every car project your going to spend money.

Is there any machine shops closer to Stockton/Sacramento that know the 914's?

Sacramento has a pretty active teener group. Why don't you post a quick intro and question in the following thread: "The March Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion".

Eric Read
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Apr 5 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #8

Good news,

I found another project car (thanks to Lennie) - a 73 that has most of the parts already, well almost, still minus an engine and transmission. I will add picts as I progress as a form of motivation.
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Apr 5 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #9

Trying to figure out how to add a picture. Is there a limit on the size of pict, trying to add picts w/ 2.5 megs...to large?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 5 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(arkitect @ Apr 5 2010, 08:14 PM) *

Trying to figure out how to add a picture. Is there a limit on the size of pict, trying to add picts w/ 2.5 megs...to large?

Yeah, I ran into that using my Canon 8MP which is 1-2 MB per pic on the lowest setting! This site limits you to 500 KB per post, so either stand far back & give yourself room to crop to <500 KB, or do what I do & use your cell phone camera for the lesser pix to post here, & the better camera to do your own pix & to upload to photobucket/etc.

Is it originally a 73 2.0 or 1.7 motor (when it had one)?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 6 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #11

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Download irfanview. It's free and you can use it to resize your picture.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 6 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Pleasanton and the entire Bay Area isn't that far either... in fact, I'm leaving for Stockton in an hour or so for work...
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Apr 6 2010, 10:21 AM
Post #13

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Unless you are trying to keep the car as stock (like for concourse usage) I would not rebuild a 1.7. I would, however, take many of the 1.7 parts and build a 1911 motor by bumping the pistons and cylinders to 96mm. As long as you don't bump up the CR, you will be able to keep using D-Jet, have a stock looking motor - but jump from ~80 HP to about ~110 HP.

You would still need to refresh the same things that you would refresh if you were rebuilding stock - bearings, heads, cam, etc. You would also need to get the 1.7 heads cut to accept 96mm cylinders. Obviously you would need to buy new pistons and cylinders.

Since the 1911 does not change stroke, you can use the stock crank and rods you already have. Though if the crank needs to be cut down due to wear, it might be cheaper to source a new one due to $$$ bearing costs. But that would be the case if you went stock or not.

Its just another option, if you are interested in rebuilding a motor.

My issue with using used engines is that you have no idea if its going to even work until you put it in the car and try it. And if it works, you have no idea how long its going to work. Build your own, and you know exactly whats in it and what has been done.

Zach
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 6 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Then again, it can easily cost thousands to build an engine "right". Head work in particular can be very spendy. You can get a used engine for a few hundred if you work at it.

The problem with that is that you very rarely know if the engine is in good shape or not. You can do things to improve your odds (e.g., compression test and/or leak-down, check the fuel injection parts or carbs as best you can, maybe a test run in whatever car it's coming out of, etc.) but none of that guarantees that the thing will actually start once it's in your car.

--DD
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Apr 6 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #15

Hope this works, downloaded IrfanView and did a save as to less than 500kb.

Dave

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Apr 6 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #16

Yea, it worked. Here's the interior....needs some work. But it's all there.

Dave

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wigh9
post Apr 6 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,574
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've got a 1.7L out of a '73 with carbs thats needs a new oil pump seal and a tuning if you want it. Less than 4K miles on a complete rebuild.

wigh9@tamu.edu
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Apr 12 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #18

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

Very cool Dave. Now that you have it home have you been able to check out all the obvious areas for rust? It appears to be less of a project than the '70. You saved a small fortune by picking up a more complete car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
arkitect
post May 3 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #19

Working on tearing the interior out, found alot of surface rust and a black tarry substance...? When I chip out the tar, rust under.

Is there a way to get this stuff out easier than chipping it out? ...and when I do get it out - wire wheel the hell out of it and put POR 15 on or rust bullet...opinions? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Dave
+Quote Post
arkitect
post May 3 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #20

Working on tearing the interior out, found alot of surface rust and a black tarry substance...? When I chip out the tar, rust under.

Is there a way to get this stuff out easier than chipping it out? ...and when I do get it out - wire wheel the hell out of it the floor and put POR 15 on or rust bullet...opinions? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Dave
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:39 PM