Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Electrical Gremlins w/ Brake Lights, What's going on here...
Kargeek
post Mar 8 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

Attached Image

I know things once worked properly since I built this car…Saturday I fire up my car- it’s been since last fall I’ve driven it and I discovered I have no brake lights. I have the lights on- no brake lights. I turn off the lights and I now have brake lights. This I discovered after removing the pedal board and checking the brake light switch, fuses and anything else I can think of.

So, I’m thinking relay, current flow, ground problem or the notorious Porsche Gremlin. Before I whip out my electrical diagrams and squint through electrical current flows- does anyone have any suggestions to look for? DH
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 8 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Wires crossed at light switch or at tail light asy
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 8 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Kargeek @ Mar 8 2010, 11:31 AM) *

Attached ImageI know things once worked properly since I built this car…Saturday I fire up my car- it’s been since last fall I’ve driven it and I discovered I have no brake lights. I have the lights on- no brake lights. I turn off the lights and I now have brake lights. This I discovered after removing the pedal board and checking the brake light switch, fuses and anything else I can think of.

So, I’m thinking relay, current flow, ground problem or the notorious Porsche Gremlin. Before I whip out my electrical diagrams and squint through electrical current flows- does anyone have any suggestions to look for? DH

Hey "Neighbor" - purdy car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Recheck your leads for tail-lights & brake -lights to see if you're getting a fault across them, as well as checking in the housing for a fault across. You may also have a weak/semi-corroded connection at one/both brake-light bulbs/sockets that gets overpowered with the tail-lights coming on (my 85 BMW 325e whacks out every so often with turn signals at the rear like that), which can usually be remedied by cleaning with steel wool & Wurth Contact Oil or similar product. Could also be a bad or going-bad relay, if none of those.

Otherwise, since it once worked properly after you built it, chances are that you've developed a short somewhere in the harness/wiring leads - unless you replaced a new harness with the rebuild. The old insulation just gets brittle, cracks then shorts across - which was also typical in old VW's & other imports & domestics of that day.

Where in Orange are you? I'm by OHS on Shaffer! BTW - had mine since 75!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom T
///////
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Mar 8 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 430

Tom,

I live off glassell and Riverdale near the 91 and the Santa Ana River. The wiring harness is new...Maybe I do have some wire connections crossed -I built the car over 20 years ago! But, I believe things checked out prior. Time to go fishing...
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 8 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Kargeek @ Mar 8 2010, 12:01 PM) *

Tom,

I live off glassell and Riverdale near the 91 and the Santa Ana River. The wiring harness is new...Maybe I do have some wire connections crossed -I built the car over 20 years ago! But, I believe things checked out prior. Time to go fishing...

Start with the wiring & sockets at the buckets - easy & obvious stuff 1st! Could just be a worn/cracked wire or the socket crud?

Your 20 year old resto's "new" harness is most probably okay still today.

I need to do my harness new/NOS in the resto of my 73 2L now, since it's still OE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
I did a $6500 "rolling resto & engine/trans/mechs overhauls" in 80-83 as well, but didn't do a strip to shell since it was still my DD then, but it's been on blocks in my garage since 5/85 when a gal hit it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Happy fishin'! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
orange914
post Mar 8 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #6

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 8 2010, 11:51 AM) *

You may also have a weak/semi-corroded connection at one/both brake-light bulbs/sockets that gets overpowered with the tail-lights coming on (my 85 BMW 325e whacks out every so often with turn signals at the rear like that), which can usually be remedied by cleaning with steel wool & Wurth Contact Oil or similar product. Could also be a bad or going-bad relay, if none of those.
Tom T
///////

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) as it worked fine previously, telling you it's wired correctly. i'd suspect resistance. are there relays involved in the brake light curcuit?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 05:05 AM