Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Fart Attempts Rebirth of Garage Queen Gone Bad!, This is the year!
Pat Garvey
post Mar 10 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #21

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I've begun sripping parts of the "new" tank (as it was described - far from it), which is a nice usable tank except the PO rattle canned it & it looks like shit! Using a citris based stripper that I've used before, and it seems to be doing OK. I'll refinish it properly, but hope my original tank is redoable.

We'll see, but the tank (hopefully) comes out Saturday.

Pic's? Maybe, but the wife is still lamenting the loss of the 911 and she'll need to take them.
P
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Mar 10 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #22

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Member No.: 10,389
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Pat I picked up my jiggle hose at harbor freight.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 10 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #23

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Pat - I'm not saying that you suck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) - but you can use the good ole school siphon method with any tubing long enough to let gravity do it's work. Hint - if you use a clear tube, you can stop sucking on it when you see the gas progressing toward you, & once it starts flowing - no need to sit there jiggling the dang thing! Also keep the receptacle into which you're draining at a lower level than the tank bottom to get it all out, but you probably already know all this from your chem lab days!

So no need to go run & get that copper jiggle hose, unless you reeeally want one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 11 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

thats how I did mine a few months back
+Quote Post
jonferns
Post #25

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

thats how I did mine a few months back
+Quote Post
jonferns
Post #26

Advanced Member

double post, sorry
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 11 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Just drop the fuel pump, pull the line off the filter and drain it into a gas can. Think you'll want to change those lines anyways. What ever is left inside the tank, just tilt it towards the driver's side of the car when you pull it.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 11 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 11 2010, 12:12 AM) *

Pat - I'm not saying that you suck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) - but you can use the good ole school siphon method with any tubing long enough to let gravity do it's work. Hint - if you use a clear tube, you can stop sucking on it when you see the gas progressing toward you, & once it starts flowing - no need to sit there jiggling the dang thing! Also keep the receptacle into which you're draining at a lower level than the tank bottom to get it all out, but you probably already know all this from your chem lab days!

So no need to go run & get that copper jiggle hose, unless you reeeally want one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I'm not concerned about getting the old gas (~4 gallons) out, as what to do with it!
Place I expected to give it to for heating thier shop doesn't want it anymore. Will take my used oil, but no gas anymore.

Any LEGAL suggestions? I don't have a lawnmower, and the gas is too crudded up for that anyway.
Pat
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 11 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

can a gas station take it and dispose of it?
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 11 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

If you lived local I'd gladly take it and put it in my truck, she runs on anything (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 12 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #31

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 11 2010, 07:06 PM) *

I'm not concerned about getting the old gas (~4 gallons) out, as what to do with it!
Place I expected to give it to for heating thier shop doesn't want it anymore. Will take my used oil, but no gas anymore.

Any LEGAL suggestions? I don't have a lawnmower, and the gas is too crudded up for that anyway.
Pat

Pat - they're so strict out here, that you have only 2 basic choices for spent motor oil & fuel from such work - a regulated haz-mat disposal/recycling service or a service station/shop which takes it in & sends it to their disposal/recycle source. (some are free & other charge in both cases).

It's probably similar back there in Stencil-vania too. Somebody offered to burn it in their truck, but hopefully they filter out the crud & separates off any water that has settled out. Check with your local City/County &/or trash service &/or recycling centers for where you can take it legally. If you want to find out the rules there, then a call to or perusal of the PA-DEQ's website should tell you what the rules are, & may even have a list of "approved" (condoned?) disposal centers in your Silly-delphia area.

Geez - I still have quite a bit to drain out of my tank after 24+ years - wonder what it will look like!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I'd always heard that a full tank with fuel stabilizer was the best way to store it, as that prevented (or reduces) the rust from forming inside the tank & fittings. I hope that's true, cuz that's what I did! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I like Tod's method of pulling the lower hose. I wish they had the lower petcocks to test & drain the fuel in an accessible spot, like they have on aircraft fuel cells.

Hope this helps! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 14 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 12 2010, 01:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 11 2010, 07:06 PM) *

Pat

Pat - they're so strict out here, that you have only 2 basic choices for spent motor oil & fuel from such work - a regulated haz-mat disposal/recycling service or a service station/shop which takes it in & sends it to their disposal/recycle source. (some are free & other charge in both cases).

It's probably similar back there in Stencil-vania too. Somebody offered to burn it in their truck, but hopefully they filter out the crud & separates off any water that has settled out. Check with your local City/County &/or trash service &/or recycling centers for where you can take it legally. If you want to find out the rules there, then a call to or perusal of the PA-DEQ's website should tell you what the rules are, & may even have a list of "approved" (condoned?) disposal centers in your Silly-delphia area.

Geez - I still have quite a bit to drain out of my tank after 24+ years - wonder what it will look like!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I'd always heard that a full tank with fuel stabilizer was the best way to store it, as that prevented (or reduces) the rust from forming inside the tank & fittings. I hope that's true, cuz that's what I did! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I like Tod's method of pulling the lower hose. I wish they had the lower petcocks to test & drain the fuel in an accessible spot, like they have on aircraft fuel cells.

Hope this helps! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'll say this right now. StaBil is overrated. In fact, it sucks!
Used it in my former 73T, when parked several years ago. The tank needs to be replaced (a '73 CIS tank new is $1600). The year before, when I put the 914 on stilts I put StaBil in the tank. Now, I'm replacing THAT tank too. True, niether tank was full, but they are both an absolute mess inside. Yep, both tanks are antiques, but StaBil let me down big time! Damned old cars!

BTW, I also wish they had put petcocks on the lines out of the tanks. And, since they are invisible from the outside, I'm working on doing this with the 914.

Planned to start draining the tank yesterday, but another nor'easter blew in. My garages face the NE, so I couldn't do anything about fumes. Project put off until midweek.....hopefully.
Pat
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 10:58 AM