Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Update on the Compu-fire conversion, 2 week update
underthetire
post Mar 11 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

My first ignitor was a Hot Spark, It looks and acts just like the Pertronix unit with the small magnet ring. Worked fine until I had a small melt down, not the hot sparks fault (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . What I had noticed since I use the megasquirt, and put my scope meter on it to confirm, is during cranking i never got a nice clean square wave signal out of it. Once started , it was fine. This time I opted for the Compu fire conversion, since this has a large disk that passes over the top of the sensor. The disk has small magnets on the outside edge, allowing a higher surface speed over the sensor. Cranking signal has cleaned up by a factor of 2 to 1. My idle is now way more solid than with the little ring magnet sensor type of pickup. So, in conclusion, the signal coming from the Compu-fire is much cleaner, allowing better idle control for my application. 2 weeks in so far. I obviously can not attest to longevity yet.

Either one IMO works well for carbs, or stock FI, but so far, I prefer the compufire for my aftermarket FI.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 11:48 PM