Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update on the Compu-fire conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
My first ignitor was a Hot Spark, It looks and acts just like the Pertronix unit with the small magnet ring. Worked fine until I had a small melt down, not the hot sparks fault biggrin.gif . What I had noticed since I use the megasquirt, and put my scope meter on it to confirm, is during cranking i never got a nice clean square wave signal out of it. Once started , it was fine. This time I opted for the Compu fire conversion, since this has a large disk that passes over the top of the sensor. The disk has small magnets on the outside edge, allowing a higher surface speed over the sensor. Cranking signal has cleaned up by a factor of 2 to 1. My idle is now way more solid than with the little ring magnet sensor type of pickup. So, in conclusion, the signal coming from the Compu-fire is much cleaner, allowing better idle control for my application. 2 weeks in so far. I obviously can not attest to longevity yet.

Either one IMO works well for carbs, or stock FI, but so far, I prefer the compufire for my aftermarket FI.
Katmanken
Thanks for the insight.

I no longer have access to a scope to check the signal output from something like that.

Cleaner signal means a greater chance of firing on time.

Now you get to do the reliability test for us to see how long the parts will work.

Also might want to check signal degredation over time to see how the parts hold up. The engine environment (heat, vibration) can cause sensors to crap out.

I know the dizzy sensors in my wasserboxer Vanagon craped out at about 60k.
underthetire
QUOTE(kwales @ Mar 11 2010, 10:39 AM) *

Thanks for the insight.

I no longer have access to a scope to check the signal output from something like that.

Cleaner signal means a greater chance of firing on time.

Now you get to do the reliability test for us to see how long the parts will work.

Also might want to check signal degredation over time to see how the parts hold up. The engine environment (heat, vibration) can cause sensors to crap out.

I know the dizzy sensors in my wasserboxer Vanagon craped out at about 60k.

Easy enough to do, but 60K will be like 10 years from now !
tat2dphreak
yep, I had a compufire in my 009, before I changed distributors and installed a Crane XR700 the compufire is a good unit imo.
Cap'n Krusty
One of Compufire's main product lines is for Harleys. I wouldn't be too afraid of heat/vibration problems ...............

The Cap'n
ericread
Which Compufire unit did you install? The 21100 or the 21101? I am willing to try it on my daily driver.

Currently I user the Pertronix unit, but if you say I can get a more reliable spark, I'd like to try it. At 15,000 miles a year, it'll be easier for me to get real world reliability data.

Eric
underthetire
I'll check the part number when I get home. A guy in LA doing VW stuff was 62.00 dollars for it and got it in two days. The local shops up here were 120 and 99 dollars.
underthetire
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 11 2010, 11:57 AM) *

I'll check the part number when I get home. A guy in LA doing VW stuff was 62.00 dollars for it and got it in two days. The local shops up here were 120 and 99 dollars.

Oops 63.95

Powerhaus
310-328-2746
John

I just got the one for the 050 dist, fits fine, just be careful how you route the wires around the advance plate.
Cap'n Krusty
The 050 doesn't have an advance plate ..............

The Cap'n
underthetire
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 11 2010, 01:01 PM) *

The 050 doesn't have an advance plate ..............

The Cap'n

I know, but I have sorta a hybrid dizzy, since I didn't want the tall can with the injector points. Anyway, I think the difference was the old old style points vs the 009 or our style points. Something about the pin being on the opposite side on the advance plate on the old VW ones. You's probably know better than me what was what.
Drums66
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 11 2010, 10:27 AM) *

My first ignitor was a Hot Spark, It looks and acts just like the Pertronix unit with the small magnet ring. Worked fine until I had a small melt down, not the hot sparks fault biggrin.gif . What I had noticed since I use the megasquirt, and put my scope meter on it to confirm, is during cranking i never got a nice clean square wave signal out of it. Once started , it was fine. This time I opted for the Compu fire conversion, since this has a large disk that passes over the top of the sensor. The disk has small magnets on the outside edge, allowing a higher surface speed over the sensor. Cranking signal has cleaned up by a factor of 2 to 1. My idle is now way more solid than with the little ring magnet sensor type of pickup. So, in conclusion, the signal coming from the Compu-fire is much cleaner, allowing better idle control for my application. 2 weeks in so far. I obviously can not attest to longevity yet.

I can(attest to longevity)!! 7 years and still working(Pertronix)and there is a few
other's on this board with more longevity,sorry I'm sticking with it shades.gif

Later
jt914-6
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 11 2010, 04:42 PM) *

I can(attest to longevity)!! 7 years and still working(Pertronix)and there is a few

Later

agree.gif I know someone who has an Ignitor in his old Ford pickup that I sold him and it has been in the truck since the mid 80's....
underthetire
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 11 2010, 04:42 PM) *

Don't be sorry. I don't care biggrin.gif If what you have works for you, great. I'm just posting what I found to possibly help others.
Mark Henry
I had a compufire in a 009 and it was missing and farting when hot.The same 009 with points worked OK but it had the crappy 009 flat spot. I modified a pertronix to work in a mallory (points) dizzy and it works great.
Most peeps have good luck around here with them, but there have been a few failures.

If you are using it as a trigger for the MS ignition then signal quality is probably important, where as for a stock coil set-up it probably doesn't matter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.