Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Insults, Gotten any?
qa1142
post Mar 12 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #41

Whiplash

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,140

Insults?

How about when the 911 waved me by at blackhawk farms on novic track day? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Mar 12 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #42

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Mar 12 2010, 08:49 AM) *

Was at a gas station last Sept. at the MUSR in Hot Springs filling up. Some teenagers leaving the station yells out "that car is shit". Now it is hard to keep up with the younger slang. My girlfriend said that was a compliment.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I thought they were insulting the car and was ready to fight.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Did they say "that car is shit" or "that car is THE shit"?
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 12 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #43

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Back in 75 i had an older guy in the parking ramp who got out of a 911 walk past me and my 73 914 tell me that after i grow more hair on my ass maybe i could afford a 911.

At the time i was working for my Dad in his Art Studio and i could of bought a 911 if i had wanted one.
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Mar 12 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #44

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Mar 12 2010, 08:04 AM) *

Was at a gas station last Sept. at the MUSR in Hot Springs filling up. Some teenagers leaving the station yells out "that car is shit". Now it is hard to keep up with the younger slang. My girlfriend said that was a compliment.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I thought they were insulting the car and was ready to fight.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

It must have been "THE" shit.....Kids these days.....
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 12 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I never had any insults (that may be due to my size in part), but there seem to be more and more thumbs up and admiration for the car these days.

The closest story I was told was when my car was in a local Porsche shop. The owner had my conversion car up on the rack when one of his 911 Turbo customers came by the shop and joked that he must now be working on VWs. He simply replied to him that he wouldn't want to try to race against the 914-6, as it would easily beat him in a straight line, and be all over him at a track day. The owner had a beautiful 914-6 hot rod many years ago, so he knows of what he speaks.

The best advice is enjoy your car and don't worry what anyone else thinks. That must explain all the rusted out Honda Civics with coffee can exhaust tips!
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Mar 12 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 11 2010, 03:38 PM) *

big SUV...

Big SUV = little weenie
little 914 = big weenie -kinda like Enzyte Bob "swelling with pride"
Pure jealousy
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Mar 12 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #47

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

I can remember only two insults across the years. One on the 914 and one on my Norton Commando. Both great machines.

There was a Potomac Region DE at Mid Ohio where the lead instructor, a 911 pilot, during our first class was teaching us the lines around the course.

I held up my hand after a bit and asked him if those lines were the same for mid-engined cars like my 2.7L 914-6. He said that for all practical purposes they were the identical. Then he had one more thing to add.

He said the 914-6 was a wonderful car to start with, and that he had done just that. But that I would want to upgrade whenever possible to a 911. I had only driven Sears Point and Memphis at that time so I was a rank newbee and kept my mouth shut. Then we hit the track. With the Commando...

Crotch-rocket folks used to tell me my beyond-restored Norton sounded like a washing machine. Then we would leave Alice's Restaurant for Half Moon Bay (and thereabouts) where they could never leave me in the dust and some got passed regularly. I used very sticky tires, and having the shifter on the right side was clearly an advantage. The point is...

In neither case did I have to say a thing. Our machines tell the story just fine without us.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Mar 12 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #48

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

The best advice is enjoy your car and don't worry what anyone else thinks.

+1

if some one did insult my car I probably didn't notice, either from the gas fumes making me happy, or I didn't hear them over the 40 webers+ exhaust... I love my car, but maybe love IS blind, deaf and dumb (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 12 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #49

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Mar 12 2010, 06:23 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Mar 12 2010, 08:04 AM) *

It must have been "THE" shit.....Kids these days.....

Yup, "The shit" is a big compliment, as if your car is "IT", the end all of cool cars.

However if they said its "Shit" then.. Take it literally..

Ya, I hate slang...
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Mar 12 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #50

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

yep, big difference between being "SICK" and "making me sick" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Mar 12 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 9,147

My only insults revolve around the fact that I haven't gotten it done yet...

"Is that thing ever going to run?"

Maybe one day I'll prove em wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 12 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #52

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Only one insult in 37 years. 10 year old kid said to his dad, " wow dad look, its a porsche". Dad said "no son, thats not a real Porsche". As the kid helped his dad up off the ground, He asked his dad, " was that a real punch dad?"
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Mar 12 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #53

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My son, a high school junior, was working with two other students on a physics catapult project early this week. They needed some tools out of my shop and saw the "zonk" sitting there on jackstands. The two students, both girls, knew exactly what it was and complemented my son on his dad's cool car.

Made my whole week!
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Mar 12 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 805

It isn't just 914's. I had one of the first 944's in the SF Bay Area when they came out, and I got plenty of NARP comments. I'm sure 924 owners did, too.

I only seem to get compliments these days. And I noticed I never got any insults from the many BMW drivers at the BMWCCA DE events I drove my 914 at (I had an M3, too). Especially the ones who had to pull over and let the 95 HP "VW" pass them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Shade Tree
post Mar 12 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 9,860
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The only insults I get are from the Porsche shop. The guy likes to say rude things about my car and my love for 914's in front of other customers. They all have 911's and 356's. His real problem is the fact that I can make my car run without paying him to do the work and it's killing him. I think it's pretty funny. You ought to hear him when he sees me working on my car. He visits my shop just to insult me. My car will never run right. Am I aware that the holes in the jets are going to get bigger if I use a reamer on them? Your co levels are way too low....they're actually a bit high at idle...2.9. There's no way I could possibly do anything right....Then he heard it run. "That sounds real good". Then he left.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Mar 12 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #56

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

You guys are way too serious about "insults". Every one described is from someone who's simply clueless, so why do you care? And did you ever consider that those morons were doing you a favor by identifying themselves as idiots right off the bat? Worst thing in the world is to waste a lot of time before you discover the guy's a fool, and by then it's already hard to get rid of them.
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Mar 12 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 7,087

Closest thing lately was from my buddy who's past two toy cars have been Late model Nissan Z-cars.

"Why don't you just get something you can drive?"

Of course, in the 5 years I have known him, the car has been queen of the jackstands. But thats changing this spring. Or summer. For sure. Really.
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Mar 12 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

Ive gotten nice vw all the time...its not worth explaining to people that you won't find a 914 in the vw museum in wolfsburg but would find one in porsches in stuttgart.

Andrew,
be careful with that statement because VW does have a 914 at the wolfsburg museum. If i remember correctly from when I was there they claim it is the first production one or maybe the prototype (can't quite remember). The book is out in my shop now so I don't recall exactly though. This is a scan from the museum book I have and they list it as a 1969.
Attached Image
JIM
+Quote Post
Zardozz
post Mar 12 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 8,874

This reminds me of the stories thread a while back with the parking lot attendant bitching about the electric teener in the electric car only space and the mustang going off the road after trying to keep ahead. Wish I could find that thread, classic stories.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Mar 12 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 11 2010, 06:43 PM) *

When I had my 3.2 six conversion I had a guy pull up next to me in a new Boxster S. We were both waiting at a onramp light to get on the freeway, 2 lanes merge to one. Anyhow I look over and say nice Boxster, he looks over with his blue tooth in his ear and kinda smirks and chuckles. Needless to say when the light went green, my 3.2 ate his 3.2 for lunch. After that he would not even look over at me when he repassed me on the highway.

Ferg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hey Ferg! Was that the guy who you where playing with on the way to RCC 4 years ago? The guy that you would blow by on the straights, slow down to let him pass and then pass him on the next curve? I was sitting back behind you laughing my butt off. He was no happy and pulled over at the next town. I was driving out to Washington on that trip from Denver.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:08 PM