Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Insults, Gotten any?
carr914
post Mar 16 2010, 05:05 AM
Post #81

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Just one that has stuck with me. From the former owner of my 914-6 - "You ruined it"

Some of these stories, make me think if my PCA membership is going to go in the mail. I made out the check, but have over a month. I've been a member for over 20 years, but I don't seem to get much out of it lately. Most PCA folks don't even know what a 914 is.

T.C.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
naro914
post Mar 16 2010, 06:41 AM
Post #82

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 16 2010, 07:05 AM) *

Just one that has stuck with me. From the former owner of my 914-6 - "You ruined it"

Some of these stories, make me think if my PCA membership is going to go in the mail. I made out the check, but have over a month. I've been a member for over 20 years, but I don't seem to get much out of it lately. Most PCA folks don't even know what a 914 is.

T.C.

T.C.
Here's the funny thing about your comments, which you are not alone about, but....

Many of the old timer Porsche owners feel the same about the direction of PCA - only new cars, people who are not passionate about the brand, can't even find where their battery is/how to put oil in it, etc.

However, if you ask most of the Porsche dealers, many don't do much with their local PCA Region because " The Porsche Club is a bunch of shade tree mechanics with older Porsches that we don't service or know much about. We really wouldn't get much business out of those guys anyway, so why do things with them??"

Interesting Irony, huh??

Here's the other problem: by long time Porsche owners like you considering dropping your membership, it just perpetuates the problem. If you drop, and others like you drop, then yes, PCA is made up ONLY of new car buyers.

PCA statistics show that about 50% of PCA have been members for more than 6 years. Yes, that also means 50% are relatively new, but there is a fairly large number of us "old timers" (I've been a member for only 16 years now which I consider fairly low).

I guess my point is that if those of us that have older cars abandon PCA, it's only going to make it worse.

If you look at our EC, Kurt is the only one that has ONLY a newer Porsche with his GT3 (though he is a true gearhead having raced IMSA, SCCA, motorcycles, etc back in the day). Manny our VP has a 914, an early 911 and a 964 race car. Caren Cooper does drive a Boxster daily, but they have a 944 race car. Prescott Kelly is the collector of all things early with a really nice early race car collection. And Vu our Exec Director has a 914 and late 80 something 911 cab.

PCA is not always what you get out of it, it's sometimes what you put into it. My wife and I joined with a very young (and stock) Papa Smurf - prior to being called Papa Smurf. We joined in Northern NJ, one of the toughest, most 'clickish' regions in PCA. We jumped right in and participated, and really got to enjoy everything - especially since we started racking up autocross trophies!! We moved to NC, where I eventually became Region President (the old 'if you don't like something, jump in and make a change' scenario) and now I am Zone 3 Rep. Most of our good friends are PCA people and this club has allowed us to do so much in the world of Porsches and cars that we would never have been able to do without it.

Most people know us as only 914 owners, most have never seen our DD 993 cab or especially the '69 911 we have. Like I mentioned above, we've never been insulted by anyone regarding our 914's....chidded for being light and annoyingly fast from all the newer Porsche owners, but never insulted.

Look, in every club with so many people and 'A' type personalities, you're going to find a few a*&holes. Heck, I've found a few 914 owners that are a bit full of themselves too (I was shocked, honestly). But as I said in another post once, nobody is imune to criticism: the 911 guys think they get no respect from the 356 guys, the 928 and 924 guys think they get no respect from anyone, etc....it doesn't end, so why bother being concerned about it?

Anyway, off my soapbox...gotta get some work done.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 16 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #83

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 16 2010, 04:41 AM) *

... too much to quote but ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 16 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #84

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 16 2010, 06:05 AM) *

Most PCA folks don't even know what a 914 is.

T.C.

Then you are hanging with the wrong PCA group. We have a STRONG 914 contingent in our region, and the surrounding regions also have a bunch of them.

Come to the MUSR in October.. it will be close enough to you. You will get a really good 914 fix, sponsored by PCA.

+Quote Post
BKLA
post Mar 16 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #85

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

In support of our PCA region I have to say that no one from ORPCA has ever disparaged my 914. Granted, it only sees track days and autocrosses as it is a track only car, but even then, the other porsche owners always are very cordial, even complementary.

I am lucky that our local PCA group has a number of very involved 914 owners.
+Quote Post
black73
post Mar 16 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 3,801

QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 15 2010, 09:00 PM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 15 2010, 06:44 PM) *

90% of folks in my age group have no clue what it is.

90% of people in our age group (20s) don't know jack about cars aside from HID headlights and Best Buy installs sound systems with subwoofers that go boom boom.

Stick shift? Whaaaaat is that?

Had a kid, about 18-20 ask me "What's that run on?"
I said "What?"
He said "Is it a diesel?
I said " No, regular gas."
He said "Sounds like a diesel." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:09 PM