Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LS1 update
John2kx
post Mar 30 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,066

[quote=Brett W,Mar 30 2004, 01:58 PM] As I understand it, the throttle body can be put on the front OR the back of the intake on either the LS1 or the LS6. I have a small block conversion 914 that uses an electomotive FI system and have been seriously considering the LS6 for my car.
( Go to sandstallion.com and look at their performance engine section. I know that they are showing a northstar engine, but the LS1 and LS6 can have the intake flipped around the same way.)[QUOTE]

If that is the case then I don't see any more problems. Run a thinner single groove pulley and I need to figure out what to do with the water pump. If I can find a shorter pump then I won't have to cut as much of the firewall. I have no plans to run the remote mount water pump. I question the efficency of it.

AS far as the vehicle speed sensor, use one of the aftermarket computer hack programs and tell the computer it doesn't need it.. My buddy that is doing the RX7 conversions doesn't have a speedo because it needs a custom box to convert the electronic signal from the tranny into a mechanical feed [/quote]
Brett,

I think there are many obstacles to overcome with this conversion or companies like Renegade would already have kits available with all the interest in stuffing the LS1 in a 914 or 911. Not to say a DIYer can't do it but to do it right will take some time.

For me, doing it right would mean no breach of engine bay to passenger compartment firewall. From what I see, the remote water pump is the only way to go to achieve this. If the current RH water pump cools a 400-500hp SBC, I see no reason it will not provide enough flow for the LS1.........but again this is unknown territory that will have to be tested by one of us DIYers.

Since computers are not my bag, there are issues with satisfying that department as well.........the fly by wire throttle just to name one.

I believe Bigcat82 is closer to any of us to performing the operation and will have to sit back and see what he comes up with. This won't happen overnight but from what I know of Bob he has the ability and knowledge to get it done right.

Toyjet claims he already has a 914/LS1 conversion complete. I'd like to see some pics. Maybe he is holding out until kits are available but I'd still like to see fuzzy photos if he is listening.

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Mar 30 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #22

CSOBOSC founding member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 602

QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 28 2004, 08:53 AM)
...These engines are not cheap right now. I am hearing about 4000 for the complete engine, tranny, computer, and harness. You can sell the tranny for 800-1500 dollars so that may help ease the pain. ...

Your cracking me up Brett. How much is a comparable vintage Porsche motor with 350+ hp? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I have a LS1 motor sitting here attached to a car, but you guys ain't touchin' it. If you need any specific pictures of it in a C5, lemme kno.

sm
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 30 2004, 09:40 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

Steve, I'll give you 4 grand for the front clip.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Good luck getting 350+out of a vintage non turbo engine. 911 heads suck.

I realize there will be a lot involved. I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't mind cutting the firewall as long as it is done with skill and cleanly modified. I am guessing I will probably have to add at least 3inches to the bump in the firewall and probably have to make a box on the rear for the air intake to pass through.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 30 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

The fly by wire throttle is easy. Most of them have a mechanical setup that goes to a "box" under the seat and converts the motion. The Boxsters are done this way.

This is all great info guy's. I wish I had one sitting here.

I honestly dont see anything seriously screwed up with the water setup. It would take two small adapters.

The reason why the aftermarket V8 conversion company's havent done it yet:.. none of them have developed anything new in the last 20 years. Only one is actually moving forward with their current product line and perfecting it. The other is content selling what he has sold for the last 30 years.

B
+Quote Post
airsix
post Mar 30 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #25

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 30 2004, 07:40 PM)
911 heads suck.

You are freaking kidding, right? You don't get 210hp out of a NA 2000cc motor with heads that "suck".

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 30 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I assumed he was joking. Hemi chamber.... easy to port runners.

B
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post Mar 31 2004, 07:38 AM
Post #27

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

I could easily be all screwed up here, but I was talking to Clemon at the Hooters gathering in Atlanta a couple weeks ago. I think he's Toy-Jet, right? Anyway, he mentioned that he had just got a '75 914 and was working on it, so I was under the impression that he wasn't done yet. Unless maybe he already has another 914 with the LS1 in it and the '75 is a new project?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Brad mentioned he doesn't like the rear wing on the '80 SC, but I thought the way he incorporated the radiator in the wing looked like pretty nice work. And that leaves the front trunk untouched! I bet it wouldn't look so nice on a 914 though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Mar 31 2004, 10:13 AM
Post #28

CSOBOSC founding member

The concept of the rear radiator doesn't seem to be a bad one if it cools properly, but IMHO the one they made is U G L Y. Too many Star Trek movies or something. Might help a little to see one that is body colored, but the angles are still too funky for my taste.

To each his own tho...

sm
+Quote Post
Malmz
post Mar 31 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #29

CSOBOSC founding member

FYI.

(IMG:http://toy-jet.com/website5.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 31 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #30

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I totally agree with you Steve, that rear spoiler throws all styling right out the window, sure it works, but in order to sell and promote something it has to look "correct", which this one doesn't.....maybeit looks better in person.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

the 911 is too "soft" and round for that spoiler, you need a car with very sharp edges in order for it to feel right...........
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Mar 31 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 1,066

QUOTE(Pnambic @ Mar 31 2004, 05:38 AM)
I could easily be all screwed up here, but I was talking to Clemon at the Hooters gathering in Atlanta a couple weeks ago. I think he's Toy-Jet, right? Anyway, he mentioned that he had just got a '75 914 and was working on it, so I was under the impression that he wasn't done yet. Unless maybe he already has another 914 with the LS1 in it and the '75 is a new project?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I talked with Clemon at Hooters as well and he said he had already installed a LS1 or LS6 into a 914. He also showed me the ebay ad of the auction he won for a 914.

In another conversation we had, he mentioned that the 914 purchased through ebay was his first 914.

John
+Quote Post
Bigbohr
post Mar 31 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #32

Superlurker

Member No.: 1,176

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 28 2004, 08:30 PM)

Thanks for the pics. I see NO reason why we couldnt put this into a 914 with NO hassle. The ToyJet guy has said he has a 914 done but it is not on his site and the links I have seen posted dont work.

B

He had some pics on his site some time ago but seems like he took them off.
I believe he is developing some pieces for an LS1. Looks like it's possible though.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:03 AM